Transition Spire - new long travel 29er

PB Forum :: Transition
Transition Spire - new long travel 29er
Posted: Oct 25, 2021 at 22:10 Quote
steeph20 wrote:
How are folks with a coil shock finding the ride on the Spire? I am considering a current model DHX2 for mine. However, not sure if there would be issues with excessive bottoming or having to run to high of a spring rate. Any intel would be appreciated.

For reference, on my X2, I end up using all or almost all the travel on most rides, even when the sag is set around 27 or 28 % and with two tokens (which is the max for this size shock). I'd like to experiment with a coil for a plusher/more planted feeling from the bike, but concerned the end stroke support/ramp may be lacking.

I doubt that many people are running them with coil yet. I have three rides on mine with the dhx2 running a 450 sls spring. I’m 180 +\- a few. Get 29ish sag depending on how I measure it. So far so good, still dialing it in but have hit my local spot with some pretty large long and lows. 25-35’. Rode another spicy dh track, ravens ridge. Full tilt no hard bottoms. My shock was tuned for a 2021 patrol from fox. Pretty similar leverage and progression to the spire.

Posted: Oct 25, 2021 at 22:17 Quote
hukriede wrote:

I tested out a coil on mine running a Super Deluxe Ultimate. My riding weight is 205lbs+ and I was at a 400lb spring for about 29% sag which is wayyyyy softer of a spring than I have ever run before. Must be the leverage of this bike in particular that allows for such a low spring rate. During my first tests with it on I experienced what you said in that the end stroke I would blow through super easily. I swapped to the X2 and the bike felt amazing in comparison with also 29-30% sag.

I am going to try out the coil again with much different settings and add some compression (which I normally don't ever do with a coil) and see how it goes. Overall I think Transition nailed the tune on the X2 and it seems to work really well for me, but going to give the coil one more try.

I’m very interested in how you are 20lbs heavier than me, getting the same sag and running a 50lb lighter spring…

O+
Posted: Oct 26, 2021 at 4:08 Quote
5ft 9 and unsure if I should go a size M or L. Confused I hate being between sizes! I have a medium on order but it won’t be here until Feb in Aus. I intend on this being my ride everything bike. I thought the size large numbers looked a little big compared to my 2021 meta am size M and because it will be my ride all bike thought of going with the M over the L. Any advice from those with size M or L spires on how the handle etc

Posted: Oct 26, 2021 at 5:33 Quote
Parsurf wrote:
hukriede wrote:

I tested out a coil on mine running a Super Deluxe Ultimate. My riding weight is 205lbs+ and I was at a 400lb spring for about 29% sag which is wayyyyy softer of a spring than I have ever run before. Must be the leverage of this bike in particular that allows for such a low spring rate. During my first tests with it on I experienced what you said in that the end stroke I would blow through super easily. I swapped to the X2 and the bike felt amazing in comparison with also 29-30% sag.

I am going to try out the coil again with much different settings and add some compression (which I normally don't ever do with a coil) and see how it goes. Overall I think Transition nailed the tune on the X2 and it seems to work really well for me, but going to give the coil one more try.

I’m very interested in how you are 20lbs heavier than me, getting the same sag and running a 50lb lighter spring…

In my experience super deluxe coil shock tunes are pretty firm, having most riders run lower spring rates. I'm 200lbs and was running a 400lb spring on my scout... every other shock I tried on it, it needed 450+

At 200lb I am running a 500lb spring on my patrol btw, w/65mm shock. Getting a touch over 30% sag. Should be about the same on a spire.

O+
Posted: Oct 26, 2021 at 7:14 Quote
On 10/21/21 I placed a pre-order for a medium carbon spire frameset. Just curious to see what have been the lead times most people are seeing for there framesets? Response below from Transition.

Currently we are working on some updates to our webstore to facilitate a more streamline preordering/ordering process. While our site is undergoing these updates ETAs are temporarily no longer visible both on the customer facing side, as well as through our admin system. We apologize for the temporary change and lack of visibility. We hope to have ETAs live again sometime in a week or so. We appreciate your understanding. Check back on your OPEN ITEMS tab in a week (or so) to see the most up to date info we’ve got regarding the ETA of your preorder.

Cheers,
Kate
TRANSITION BICYCLE COMPANY | ANVL COMPONENTS
1600 Carolina St. Bellingham, WA 98229 | 360.366.4960

O+
Posted: Oct 26, 2021 at 7:35 Quote
Parsurf wrote:
hukriede wrote:

Yea Im curious as well. I dont get along with this bike on coil and I think that the low rate is the problem. Its bang on 30% sag for me.

Posted: Oct 26, 2021 at 7:42 Quote
nd54 wrote:
On 10/21/21 I placed a pre-order for a medium carbon spire frameset. Just curious to see what have been the lead times most people are seeing for there framesets? Response below from Transition.

Currently we are working on some updates to our webstore to facilitate a more streamline preordering/ordering process. While our site is undergoing these updates ETAs are temporarily no longer visible both on the customer facing side, as well as through our admin system. We apologize for the temporary change and lack of visibility. We hope to have ETAs live again sometime in a week or so. We appreciate your understanding. Check back on your OPEN ITEMS tab in a week (or so) to see the most up to date info we’ve got regarding the ETA of your preorder.

Cheers,
Kate

I ordered my spire frameset on October 8th and it arrived on the 17th. My delivery date was not only delayed by Fedex but I also live on the east coast. Yours should arrive shortly assuming it has already been shipped. Transition doesn't make it clear but if you look at the invoices on your account page in completed orders, there should be a shipping form PDF that you can download. In the upper right hand corner it will have your tracking number. I never received any shipping notification so it took some digging to find this myself.

As a general PSA, if anyone is looking to buy one of these bikes, you're better off just calling Transition and ordering over the phone. The availability is inaccurate on their website. They might have the size, frame and color you're looking for. I gave them a call and had my frameset ordered in 5 minutes.

O+
Posted: Oct 26, 2021 at 8:09 Quote
nd54 wrote:

Cheers,
Kate

Transition is in the middle of moving their warehouse on top of Covid issues, our dealer tool wont even show shipping dates anymore.

O+
Posted: Oct 26, 2021 at 8:31 Quote
Thanks for the info. My order still shows in the open status in my order history tab. I am on the east coast as well and just hoping to get the frameset by December. This should give me enough time to source a few of the parts I need to complete the build. Just want the bike ready by mid march when I can start riding again in the North East.

I ordered my spire frameset on October 8th and it arrived on the 17th. My delivery date was not only delayed by Fedex but I also live on the east coast. Yours should arrive shortly assuming it has already been shipped. Transition doesn't make it clear but if you look at the invoices on your account page in completed orders, there should be a shipping form PDF that you can download. In the upper right hand corner it will have your tracking number. I never received any shipping notification so it took some digging to find this myself.

As a general PSA, if anyone is looking to buy one of these bikes, you're better off just calling Transition and ordering over the phone. The availability is inaccurate on their website. They might have the size, frame and color you're looking for. I gave them a call and had my frameset ordered in 5 minutes.[/Quote]

Posted: Oct 26, 2021 at 22:35 Quote
shakazulu12 wrote:
Well, here she is.
photo

Weight as pictured with pedals is 31.2 pounds.

Large XT
Enve M6 Stem
One up carbon bar. 35 mm rise
Trickstuff Direttissima brakes
XTR rotors
XTR Cassette
Sramano AXS's (Smile )
Berk Carbon seat
Berd TR27 wheels laced to DT Swiss 240's
Michelin Wild Enduro's, front and rear.
Deity Tmac pedals

I still have to go back and mess with the drivetrain, it was shifting perfectly with the XT cassette, but not so much with the XTR. I suspect I didn't assemble the lower cogs correctly though just eyballing it, gaps look off. Also won't really be able to ride it for a while as I'm down with a shoulder separation. But hopefully in about six weeks.

What’s your height ?

O+
Posted: Oct 27, 2021 at 3:56 Quote
jonasron wrote:
shakazulu12 wrote:
Well, here she is.
photo

Weight as pictured with pedals is 31.2 pounds.

Large XT
Enve M6 Stem
One up carbon bar. 35 mm rise
Trickstuff Direttissima brakes
XTR rotors
XTR Cassette
Sramano AXS's (Smile )
Berk Carbon seat
Berd TR27 wheels laced to DT Swiss 240's
Michelin Wild Enduro's, front and rear.
Deity Tmac pedals

I still have to go back and mess with the drivetrain, it was shifting perfectly with the XT cassette, but not so much with the XTR. I suspect I didn't assemble the lower cogs correctly though just eyballing it, gaps look off. Also won't really be able to ride it for a while as I'm down with a shoulder separation. But hopefully in about six weeks.

What’s your height ?

I’m 5’11”. Though a rather gangly +7 ape index.

Posted: Oct 27, 2021 at 11:24 Quote
Hey,

Im triyng to buy a Spire Carbon in L

in 6′2″ , just betwwen the L and XL.

Based on currnt owners, what size?

Posted: Oct 27, 2021 at 11:30 Quote
jonasron wrote:
Hey,

I'm 6'2" and am on an XL, fits very similar to the Sentinel XL. Also running a 35mm stem. If you're okay running a longer stem if needed I'd go for an Large. I was not.

O+
Posted: Oct 27, 2021 at 11:54 Quote
ryksgoesoutside wrote:
mtb-thetown wrote:
ryksgoesoutside wrote:

Have any photos of the exposed dropper, for visual reference?

Spire at Rockville

Finally got me to figure out how to post a picture of my build.

How are you finding the medium at 5'10" ? What length stem are you running?

Size medium is perfect. Definitely glad I didn't get the large. It would have been way too big.

I run a 50mm stem (and 760 bars)

Posted: Oct 27, 2021 at 12:37 Quote
jonasron wrote:
Hey,

Im 6'2" and have an XL Sentinel and Spire with 35mm stems. A friend at the same height prefers size large Transition bikes (he has had both XL and L Sentinels), so being right in the middle of their sizing guide you could go either direction. Couple of other factors to consider are that you can lengthen or shorten the bike by about +/- 6mm or so with a Works Component headset since the Spire has a 1.5 head tube and that the chain stays are 6mm shorter on the Large.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.073721
Mobile Version of Website