Transition Spire - new long travel 29er

PB Forum :: Transition
Transition Spire - new long travel 29er
Posted: Oct 27, 2021 at 13:06 Quote
Excelente , gracias !

O+
Posted: Oct 27, 2021 at 15:11 Quote
For those 5'9" riders that are between sizes and are unsure if they should go a size M or L...here is some advice Transition kindly shared with me. I am sticking with the medium.

Sizing is always going to come down to personal preference in the end, but I can give you my experience to see if that helps you make a decision. I'm 6'0 and have ridden both the large and the medium Spire. The large Spire felt good for me seated, but the first ride on it it felt quite long when descending. After 3 rides on it, I learned to ride more over the front of the bike and then the bike came alive. But in that size, I felt I definitely had to ride it quite aggressively for the bike to feel good. I also rode the medium just to compare. The medium did feel a bit small for me pedaling, but with the right seat height, it was not uncomfortable and only took a few minutes to get used to. When descending the medium felt more playful and I did not have to ride the bike as aggressively or as far forward to find the sweet spot. In the end, I decided to go with a large because I felt like with a bike like the Spire I should be riding it hard and the longer wheelbase will help with stability.

For you at 5'9" however I would think that the large would feel too long and the medium would probably be just right.

I hope that helps! Feel free to reach out with any other questions.

Cheers,
Bo
TRANSITION BICYCLE COMPANY | ANVL COMPONENTS
5090 Samish Way, Bellingham, WA 98229 | 360.366.4960

Posted: Oct 27, 2021 at 19:10 Quote
jonasron wrote:
Hey,

Im triyng to buy a Spire Carbon in L

in 6′2″ , just betwwen the L and XL.

Based on currnt owners, what size?

Same height, 187cm with a short torso. I got an XL

Posted: Oct 28, 2021 at 4:38 Quote
spinzillathespacelizard wrote:
jonasron wrote:
Hey,

6’2” height as well have a XL on order. Reach is the same as my Kona Process. In the slack setting it’s 5mm shorter. Hopefully I ordered the right size.

O+
Posted: Oct 28, 2021 at 8:10 Quote
drifter wrote:
spinzillathespacelizard wrote:
jonasron wrote:
Hey,

6’2” height as well have a XL on order. Reach is the same as my Kona Process. In the slack setting it’s 5mm shorter. Hopefully I ordered the right size.

I am 6'3" and have an XL and would not go down in size ever. Came from S5 Enduro and it feels much smaller to me than that did. Cockpit is tighter. One major thing to consider is the XL will have a longer chainstay as well. I very much prefer this as I feel really balanced on the bike, but something to consider.

O+
Posted: Oct 28, 2021 at 9:04 Quote
Anyone able to compare cornering on a Sentinel vs Spire? coming from a beefy aluminum sentinel build with coil, i'm hoping the carbon spire would feel similar but maybe a bit more active positioning to get it around

Posted: Oct 28, 2021 at 17:39 Quote
How are people finding the quality of their frame paint? I have an alloy Spire in orange and man, the paint is very brittle and chips easily.

O+
Posted: Oct 29, 2021 at 7:36 Quote
nerds-on-dirt-mtb wrote:
nd54 wrote:
On 10/21/21 I placed a pre-order for a medium carbon spire frameset. Just curious to see what have been the lead times most people are seeing for there framesets? Response below from Transition.

Currently we are working on some updates to our webstore to facilitate a more streamline preordering/ordering process. While our site is undergoing these updates ETAs are temporarily no longer visible both on the customer facing side, as well as through our admin system. We apologize for the temporary change and lack of visibility. We hope to have ETAs live again sometime in a week or so. We appreciate your understanding. Check back on your OPEN ITEMS tab in a week (or so) to see the most up to date info we’ve got regarding the ETA of your preorder.

Cheers,
Kate
TRANSITION BICYCLE COMPANY | ANVL COMPONENTS
1600 Carolina St. Bellingham, WA 98229 | 360.366.4960

Transition is in the middle of moving their warehouse on top of Covid issues, our dealer tool wont even show shipping dates anymore.

My open order just went from ETA TBD to April 2022 for my frameset.

Posted: Oct 29, 2021 at 7:48 Quote
I have the raw, so not much paint to worry about.... but after 2 rides my logos started chipping. Ended up putting some frame protection on.

I'd definitely get some groundkeeper/ridewrap/etc.. on. That orange is a sick color.

Frowzy wrote:
How are people finding the quality of their frame paint? I have an alloy Spire in orange and man, the paint is very brittle and chips easily.

O+
Posted: Oct 29, 2021 at 8:23 Quote
Frowzy wrote:

Transition is known for their poor quality paint. Definitely need a RideWrap for all their bikes. And don't expect the wrap to eliminate chips. Anywhere open will chip, its a way of life on a TR bike.

O+
Posted: Oct 29, 2021 at 11:41 Quote
hukriede wrote:
Frowzy wrote:

Transition is known for their poor quality paint. Definitely need a RideWrap for all their bikes. And don't expect the wrap to eliminate chips. Anywhere open will chip, its a way of life on a TR bike.

That was also my experience on my old Patrol. Wound up putting on Ridewrap. I went with the Raw spire hoping it would be better. Still getting a few chips but they aren't really visible so not going to bother with Ridewrap this time.

O+
Posted: Oct 29, 2021 at 18:53 Quote
Transition has some of the worst paint quality

The shit just flakes off if you put a sticker on the frame then peel it off

Then rocks chip the paint and it keeps chipping it off

Get a frame protection kit. Full coverage

Posted: Oct 29, 2021 at 22:19 Quote
Appreciate the replies guys, I'm aware this is the norm for TR, this isn't my first TR just expected some improvement I guess. Couldn't find a wrap at the time so I've done a decent job with Crystal clear Gorillas tape and will pickup some orange nail polish for touch ups and stop caring about the inevitable.

O+
Posted: Oct 30, 2021 at 9:23 Quote
Frowzy wrote:
Appreciate the replies guys, I'm aware this is the norm for TR, this isn't my first TR just expected some improvement I guess. Couldn't find a wrap at the time so I've done a decent job with Crystal clear Gorillas tape and will pickup some orange nail polish for touch ups and stop caring about the inevitable.

RideWrap out of Whistler has wraps for Spires just FYI. That's what I did. I'm sure you knew that though?

Posted: Oct 30, 2021 at 11:46 Quote
Before I bought Spire I couldn't find data for frame weight, so I weighted Transition Spire, raw, XL:
- frame with Fox float X2 (no headset, rear axle and derailleur hanger) = 4717 g
Transition Spire 2021 raw XL no headset rear axle and derailleur hanger

- frame only (no shock, shock bolt, headset, rear axle and derailleur hanger) = 4042 g
Transition Spire 2021 raw XL no shock shock bolt headset rear axle and derailleur hanger

* raw is not totally true - it has one thin layer of clear coat (to prevent oxidation but this also means that this layer chips like paint)

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014289
Mobile Version of Website