Transition Spire - new long travel 29er

PB Forum :: Transition
Transition Spire - new long travel 29er
Posted: Nov 25, 2021 at 1:57 Quote
kingch24 wrote:
Anyone else felt the rear end harshness that both PB and Vital testers have experienced with the carbon GX build? Is this just an issue with the RS Super Deluxe? I can buy a GX right now and am hesitant purely because of this issue. Would a MegNeg fix this issue? I could also see myself upgrading to cascade link and coil once bike park season comes around.

Yeah, mine felt harsh. And I was bottoming out. Not ideal!
Then I put more tokens in (was 3 as standard, I went to max of 4.5). This meant I could run lower pressure for more supple, and better bottom out resistance. Much better, but perhaps still not as good as it could be. Worth noting that I'm light, 65kg in riding kit.

Got a custom tuned DVO Jade X coil on the way.

Posted: Nov 25, 2021 at 5:56 Quote
The SD Air seems to be overdamped in most cases. Even in L / L or the LLin / L tune. Tuning will help.

Posted: Nov 25, 2021 at 7:48 Quote
dekone wrote:
The SD Air seems to be overdamped in most cases. Even in L / L or the LLin / L tune. Tuning will help.

Same as the Sentinel

I went with a full Linear tune on mine and run it with super fast rebound. Supple for days

Posted: Nov 25, 2021 at 15:08 Quote
Bummer that it doesn’t come with the right tune. I’d probably try a coil at some point, but now I feel inclined to see if my LBS will just build it up with a coil off the bat.

Posted: Nov 26, 2021 at 1:25 Quote
In alloy frames, the lines and letters on the top tube, the top chainstay and behind the seat tube, is it painted or are they stickers?

When my frame arrives, I want to remove it...

Posted: Nov 26, 2021 at 1:35 Quote
I've had mine wrapped but I'm pretty sure they are sprayed on and laquered over.

Posted: Nov 26, 2021 at 3:56 Quote
rainbow82 wrote:
In alloy frames, the lines and letters on the top tube, the top chainstay and behind the seat tube, is it painted or are they stickers?

When my frame arrives, I want to remove it...

Wrapped mine last weekend definitely sprayed/printed on so won't come off easily

Posted: Nov 26, 2021 at 4:00 Quote
ehfour wrote:
dekone wrote:

Same as the Sentinel

I went with a full Linear tune on mine and run it with super fast rebound. Supple for days

I am interested in tune. What you changed, only midvalve or also basevalve? Rockshox have published only midvalve shimstacks:
https://www.sram.com/globalassets/document-hierarchy/tuning-manuals/rockshox-rear-shock-piston-tuning-guide.pdf

I currently ride 0LL1320 tune (from Specialized enduro 2020) with HotDog piston - it is L rebound and L1 compression tune but with different check plate + shims setup on top of rebound shims compared to what is in RS specification. If anyone is interested, tune details of 0LL1320 tune:
RS SD Basevalve tuning 205x60 0LL1320 tune .
RS SD Midvalve tuning 205x60 0LL1320 tune .

Posted: Nov 29, 2021 at 16:24 Quote
kingch24 wrote:
nubbs wrote:
kingch24 wrote:
Anyone else felt the rear end harshness that both PB and Vital testers have experienced with the carbon GX build? Is this just an issue with the RS Super Deluxe? I can buy a GX right now and am hesitant purely because of this issue. Would a MegNeg fix this issue? I could also see myself upgrading to cascade link and coil once bike park season comes around.

Yes a megneg could help with harsh first mm of shock stroke.

Any experience on the Spire specifically?

I rode my carbon GX Spire at Windrock this weekend. Rear sag was set at ~28% and it felt great. I blew through the travel on big impacts a few times, but overall I'm very impressed. I'll be adding a few tokens to deal with that before going back. I rode basically every trail there and put in a few hot laps through some proper chunk as well as some of the fast machine trails with braking bumps, so it was a well rounded test. At some point I plan to test a MegNeg, but I wouldn't describe anything as harsh on that bike in stock trim.

Posted: Nov 29, 2021 at 20:19 Quote
Try the megneg, I installed it on my patrol and it is great. I was going to try coil but the rockshox with megneg just works so good.

Posted: Nov 30, 2021 at 0:20 Quote
Can't wait for my spire... Coming from a 2021 scout... Any one else made that jump? Worried it might be too big around here in Reno.

Posted: Nov 30, 2021 at 7:38 Quote
blinderman129 wrote:
kingch24 wrote:
nubbs wrote:

Yes a megneg could help with harsh first mm of shock stroke.

I rode my carbon GX Spire at Windrock this weekend. Rear sag was set at ~28% and it felt great. I blew through the travel on big impacts a few times, but overall I'm very impressed. I'll be adding a few tokens to deal with that before going back. I rode basically every trail there and put in a few hot laps through some proper chunk as well as some of the fast machine trails with braking bumps, so it was a well rounded test. At some point I plan to test a MegNeg, but I wouldn't describe anything as harsh on that bike in stock trim.

By any chance do you know how many tokens come stock on the carbon gx super deluxe ultimate shock. I just picked one up and have done a quick ride on it and so far it seems good on the flow stuff but I haven't gotten to ride it on chunk or good size drops yet. Thinking of getting either the gnar dog token or the meg neq upgrade.

Posted: Nov 30, 2021 at 8:50 Quote
On the patrol mine had 3 tokens.

Posted: Nov 30, 2021 at 10:49 Quote
Andrazzz wrote:
ehfour wrote:
dekone wrote:

Same as the Sentinel

I am interested in tune. What you changed, only midvalve or also basevalve? Rockshox have published only midvalve shimstacks:
https://www.sram.com/globalassets/document-hierarchy/tuning-manuals/rockshox-rear-shock-piston-tuning-guide.pdf

I currently ride 0LL1320 tune (from Specialized enduro 2020) with HotDog piston - it is L rebound and L1 compression tune but with different check plate + shims setup on top of rebound shims compared to what is in RS specification. If anyone is interested, tune details of 0LL1320 tune:

Im going to assume that it was mid-valve change, as I had a local company do the tune for me(fluid function)

Based on the discussion I had with them and what was on my invoice, I assume its the Linear (LN) Rebound Tune

Posted: Nov 30, 2021 at 11:20 Quote
nd54 wrote:
blinderman129 wrote:
kingch24 wrote:

By any chance do you know how many tokens come stock on the carbon gx super deluxe ultimate shock. I just picked one up and have done a quick ride on it and so far it seems good on the flow stuff but I haven't gotten to ride it on chunk or good size drops yet. Thinking of getting either the gnar dog token or the meg neq upgrade.

3 normal tokens in my Spire.
You'll need the gnardog (equivalent to 2.5T) to go to more. Then you can do 3.5 or 4.5.

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008098
Mobile Version of Website