Transition Spire - new long travel 29er

PB Forum :: Transition
Transition Spire - new long travel 29er
Posted: Nov 30, 2021 at 21:47 Quote
I would buy a Spire Alloy Deore right now if it came with the base Zeb fork instead of the Bomber Z1. I can't believe Transition would do that.

Posted: Dec 1, 2021 at 0:14 Quote
Safety Cone Orange Alloy XT came in the other day. Still building it up but all is kickass so far. One issue, Kashima and neon orange look like shit together. Considering a 38 performance elite or another Z1. To those running a 36/Z1, any regrets? 145lb aggressive rider.

Posted: Dec 1, 2021 at 1:43 Quote
BeaverCreaker wrote:
I would buy a Spire Alloy Deore right now if it came with the base Zeb fork instead of the Bomber Z1. I can't believe Transition would do that.

The bomber Z1 is surely better than the base Zeb fork? GRIP damper > Charger imo (although I think Charger 2.1 > GRIP 2)

Posted: Dec 1, 2021 at 8:18 Quote
sorryiamtheboss wrote:
BeaverCreaker wrote:

The bomber Z1 is surely better than the base Zeb fork? GRIP damper > Charger imo (although I think Charger 2.1 > GRIP 2)

I have a Z1 on my hardtail (Transition Throttle) and it's pretty fantastic. I would say it's hard to tell a difference between it and the 36 performance elite I also have on my old patrol. But both those are 650b bikes, and I really like the extra stiffness of the 38 on my spire compared to the 36 on a stumpjumper evo I tried.

Posted: Dec 1, 2021 at 11:19 Quote
sorryiamtheboss wrote:
BeaverCreaker wrote:

The damper is, but the chassis is theoretically less stiff. I'm a larger dude. I haven't ridden the Zeb yet, but I can upgrade the damper. I don't mind paying more for a Transition, but at $3800 AND I still have to buy an appropriate 38mm fork. That just goes too far overboard for me. I'm too tempted by much cheaper bikes with Zebs or carbon bikes at this price with Zeb.

I just feel the entire point of the Spire is to have a big stable bike, and I'd only go 38mm stanchions even if I was lighter. Just on principle.

I could be convinced otherwise. I want a Spire so bad, dream bike right now. Someone explain to me why I'm wrong

Posted: Dec 1, 2021 at 11:37 Quote
You don’t need a 38mm fork on your bike to rip. I used a Fox 36 on my Specialized Enduro for a long time before I swapped to a 38. It’s not really that big of a difference.

Pros raced EWS level terrain with lyrik/Fox 36 long before the 38.

You are convincing yourself that the equipment is what is going to be holding you back while 99% of the time it’s the rider holding its equipment back.

Posted: Dec 1, 2021 at 13:23 Quote
BeaverCreaker wrote:
sorryiamtheboss wrote:
BeaverCreaker wrote:

The damper is, but the chassis is theoretically less stiff. I'm a larger dude. I haven't ridden the Zeb yet, but I can upgrade the damper. I don't mind paying more for a Transition, but at $3800 AND I still have to buy an appropriate 38mm fork. That just goes too far overboard for me. I'm too tempted by much cheaper bikes with Zebs or carbon bikes at this price with Zeb.

I just feel the entire point of the Spire is to have a big stable bike, and I'd only go 38mm stanchions even if I was lighter. Just on principle.

I could be convinced otherwise. I want a Spire so bad, dream bike right now. Someone explain to me why I'm wrong

I agree with mtb-thetown that we (me being a bigger guy too) don't need 38mm stanchions. However, surely you could whip the Z1 off and sell it and buy a Zeb for a couple of $100 more than you sell the Z1 for - not much more than a doing a damper upgrade in the first place

Posted: Dec 1, 2021 at 13:59 Quote
a-prince wrote:
You don’t need a 38mm fork on your bike to rip. I used a Fox 36 on my Specialized Enduro for a long time before I swapped to a 38. It’s not really that big of a difference.

You are convincing yourself that the equipment is what is going to be holding you back while 99% of the time it’s the rider holding its equipment back.
Nah he’s buying a new bike and wants a 38mm fork cause 38mm forks have value, especially in this category of bikes. BTW congrats on being the guy preaching that its not the equipment it’s you. Must be a forum rule that on every internet thread about buying something new and shiny someone must preach the obvious truth that we are for the most part about 99% full of it when we make the claim that we need better equipment.

Posted: Dec 1, 2021 at 14:30 Quote
Lol at having to have the appropriate 38 fork

I've been on a 38/zeb for over a year. Also a z1 in there too.

Now riding a 34 grip2 on the same bike and its really holding me back. Can't even turn the front wheel it's soooooo flexy ahahaha. 190lb rider. Mid 20s and I have health insurance to send the bigger features and the 34 can take all the abuse. Hell I'd say it's more comfortable that any 38/36 fork I've been on. Comfort=speed and consistency. More flex can be fine dude..

It's the archer not the arrow if you ask me.

Posted: Dec 1, 2021 at 14:52 Quote
nubbs wrote:

Now riding a 34 grip2 on the same bike and its really holding me back. Can't even turn the front wheel it's soooooo flexy ahahaha. 190lb rider. Mid 20s and I have health insurance to send the bigger features and the 34 can take all the abuse. Hell I'd say it's more comfortable that any 38/36 fork I've been on. Comfort=speed and consistency. More flex can be fine dude..

I have had some decent failures on a 34. There not even an option any more.

Posted: Dec 1, 2021 at 15:38 Quote
nubbs wrote:

I had noticed flex on my old fork (Pike) when carrying a bunch of speed in rough sections. It was very noticeable and probably contributed to me wearing out the bushings prematurely. I upgraded to lyrik and did not notice it anymore.
Fyi I am around 200 lbs.

Posted: Dec 1, 2021 at 15:51 Quote
TOOTRIKK wrote:
a-prince wrote:

Nah he’s buying a new bike and wants a 38mm fork cause 38mm forks have value, especially in this category of bikes. BTW congrats on being the guy preaching that its not the equipment it’s you. Must be a forum rule that on every internet thread about buying something new and shiny someone must preach the obvious truth that we are for the most part about 99% full of it when we make the claim that we need better equipment.

Lol

Posted: Dec 1, 2021 at 18:39 Quote
I'm definitely not saying the Z1 isn't enough for me. I'm currently riding a cheap hardtail with a RS silver fork that's holding me up just fine.

I rode a few different 170mm Fox 36s in the bike park for years and loved them, but I also rode 40s on bigger bikes and I like that extra stiffness too.

I just feel like at $3800 and on this type of bike, it should have the cheaper Zeb.. All the other builds get the expensive Zeb or 38, and the Z1 is only $100 less than Zeb retail, probably less wholesale. It's like the odd duckling fork on all the builds. Maybe I'm just crazy.

Or maybe it's more that I'm just broke and can't go over budget on the cream of the crop bike with the components I want. So I'm a little pissy

Posted: Dec 1, 2021 at 18:42 Quote
People were riding just fine before the advent of 38mm forks (that only came around in the last 2 years or so)
Plenty of 180mm travel 36's and Lyriks were doing just fine.
The z1 also does have a slightly stouter construction than a 36, IE stiffer (and heavier)
I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Matt Macduff seems to do just fine on his 180mm z1 setup.

Posted: Dec 1, 2021 at 18:49 Quote
I just figured $3800 would get me too 38mm. I bet a Z1 would be more than "just fine"

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.007339
Mobile Version of Website