close
Pinkbike is now part of Outside! As of December 3, 2021, please refer to the Outside Terms of Use and Privacy Policy which govern your use of the Pinkbike website and services.

Transition Spire - new long travel 29er

PB Forum :: Transition
Transition Spire - new long travel 29er
Author Message
Posted: Dec 1, 2021 at 19:03 Quote
BeaverCreaker wrote:
I just figured $3800 would get me too 38mm. I bet a Z1 would be more than "just fine"
Everyone has their idea of what they think should come on a bike.
If you don't like the build with the Z1, don't buy it.
but the fact remains that it is not a lesser fork because you deem it so.
plus it's a Foxmano build. It's not gonna come with a Sram fork. the pricing that Transition gets for all of the components is based on package deals. If they cherry pick, they pay more money, IE you pay more money.
The build comes with what it comes with, and all the forum whining in the world is not going to change that.

Posted: Dec 1, 2021 at 19:05 Quote
What was the point of 38mm stanchions if they aren't stiffer than 36mm stanchions?

I never said a lesser fork, I said a less stiff chassis. To me, it's like putting a 34 on an enduro bike. Ya it'll work just fine, but is it ideal

Posted: Dec 1, 2021 at 19:15 Quote
BeaverCreaker wrote:
What was the point of 38mm stanchions if they aren't stiffer than 36mm stanchions?

I never said a lesser fork, I said a less stiff chassis. To me, it's like putting a 34 on an enduro bike. Ya it'll work just fine, but is it ideal

It's like talking to a wall.
It's not like putting a 34 on an enduro bike
It's like putting a z1 on an enduro bike. The z1 is an enduro/freeride fork.
Also the cheapest build in the lineup is not going to get you an 'ideal' build. Especially if your idea of ideal is so arbitrary.
BeaverCreaker wrote:
Someone explain to me why I'm wrong
There has been a whole page of this. You ask for us to explain why you are wrong but ignore every point made.

Posted: Dec 1, 2021 at 19:24 Quote
Two comments from me stating a few of the counter points running around in my head, and now I'm a wall? It's not like they were ridiculous counter points either. A lot of 160mm bikes are dropping the 36mm stanchions for 38, nvm 170mm bikes

I didn't ignore anything. You literally said that I called it a lesser fork. When I didn't. I was addressing that, not ignoring anything.

Jeeez dude. All I'm doing is asking questions and stating my feelings, and I feel like you took this up a level.

Thanks for all the info guys

Posted: Dec 2, 2021 at 0:58 Quote
BeaverCreaker wrote:
Two comments from me stating a few of the counter points running around in my head, and now I'm a wall? It's not like they were ridiculous counter points either. A lot of 160mm bikes are dropping the 36mm stanchions for 38, nvm 170mm bikes

I didn't ignore anything. You literally said that I called it a lesser fork. When I didn't. I was addressing that, not ignoring anything.

Jeeez dude. All I'm doing is asking questions and stating my feelings, and I feel like you took this up a level.

Thanks for all the info guys

I know what it's like to spend all your money on a bike and therefore feel like you want your desired spec. But it's a pick two situation here: Spec you want, within budget, Transition Spire. If you want a 38mm fork within budget - then it can't be a Spire. The Nukeproof Mega/Giga both fall within your budget with either the Zeb or Fox 38 I think. At this point you have to decide if you would ultimately choose the Spire over other bikes regardless of spec...

Posted: Dec 2, 2021 at 19:39 Quote


so here is the result of my frame up build. parts off two other bikes and PB. spend the money where it mattered.

ZEB with smash-pot
EXT ARAMA
GX derailuer
GX shifter
X01 cassette
CODE RSC with Hope braided Stainless hoses. MTX red pads are some how cheaper and better than Sram.
ice tech 203s front and back because they are better than any Sram rotor out there. I would get better brakes but not right now.
WAO union/ I9 hydra
Hutchinson Griffus 2.5 front and back. these are underrated in my opinion. at any rate they were in stock and $35 a tire.
Tannus inserts, they are pretty good, not as much as CC but good enough.
PNW 210 post with their remote.
king BB because who wants creaking and cracking BB

this is a parts bin build minus the purchase of the EXT and the smash-pot. these suspension upgrades are perfect for me. or I have deluded my self into thinking they are.

I am definitely slower than the bike now.

Posted: Dec 2, 2021 at 22:25 Quote
spinzillathespacelizard wrote:


so here is the result of my frame up build. parts off two other bikes and PB. spend the money where it mattered.

ZEB with smash-pot
EXT ARAMA
GX derailuer
GX shifter
X01 cassette
CODE RSC with Hope braided Stainless hoses. MTX red pads are some how cheaper and better than Sram.
ice tech 203s front and back because they are better than any Sram rotor out there. I would get better brakes but not right now.
WAO union/ I9 hydra
Hutchinson Griffus 2.5 front and back. these are underrated in my opinion. at any rate they were in stock and $35 a tire.
Tannus inserts, they are pretty good, not as much as CC but good enough.
PNW 210 post with their remote.
king BB because who wants creaking and cracking BB

this is a parts bin build minus the purchase of the EXT and the smash-pot. these suspension upgrades are perfect for me. or I have deluded my self into thinking they are.

I am definitely slower than the bike now.

Very nice build. Love seeing another nice custom alloy build.

How do you like the coil ext on it? Did you ride it with the X2 to see how it compares? That seems like such a sweet shock.

I have a Marzocchi coil I tried, but didn't love, on my old Patrol. I'm thinking of putting it on just to try it out.

Posted: Dec 2, 2021 at 23:42 Quote
The hbc on the ext is mint. I took the x2 off right away after getting the bike built.

I also don't think I will ever have another carbon bike. This alloy one is perfect

Posted: Dec 4, 2021 at 19:13 Quote
Transition Spire

Just finished up adding a few personal bits onto my new GX Alloy. Had to snap a quick pic before it hits the dirt.

Specs:
Large GX Alloy
36.7 pounds (tubeless with tire inserts and flat pedals)

OneUp 35mm rise bar
Deity knucklebuster grips
OneUp EDC Lite tool
SRAM HS2 rotors (front and rear)
RideWrap (which I hate) (Invisiframe is a ton better, they didn’t have a large alloy kit)

My one gripe, I wish the bike came with a 210mm dropper. I will also swap out the 30t ring for a 34t.

Posted: Dec 4, 2021 at 20:05 Quote
mikepal wrote:
Large

How tall are you on the large? Awesome looking bike, love the look of Transition's alloy frames

Posted: Dec 4, 2021 at 20:29 Quote
BeaverCreaker wrote:
mikepal wrote:
Large

How tall are you on the large? Awesome looking bike, love the look of Transition's alloy frames

I’m just a hair under 6’1”.

Posted: Dec 5, 2021 at 5:27 Quote
mikepal wrote:
Transition Spire

Just finished up adding a few personal bits onto my new GX Alloy. Had to snap a quick pic before it hits the dirt.

Specs:
Large GX Alloy
36.7 pounds (tubeless with tire inserts and flat pedals)

OneUp 35mm rise bar
Deity knucklebuster grips
OneUp EDC Lite tool
SRAM HS2 rotors (front and rear)
RideWrap (which I hate) (Invisiframe is a ton better, they didn’t have a large alloy kit)

My one gripe, I wish the bike came with a 210mm dropper. I will also swap out the 30t ring for a 34t.

Is that gold or bronze decals on oneup bar? Looks pretty close to the goldish bits on the frame. Ordered gold edc top nut and decals hoping it’s similar.

Posted: Dec 5, 2021 at 6:30 Quote
It’s the gold decal kit. I’m surprised it matched so well. However I am disappointed in the gold peaty’s valve stems, they do not match.

Posted: Dec 5, 2021 at 9:48 Quote
mikepal wrote:
Transition Spire

Just finished up adding a few personal bits onto my new GX Alloy. Had to snap a quick pic before it hits the dirt.

Specs:
Large GX Alloy
36.7 pounds (tubeless with tire inserts and flat pedals)

OneUp 35mm rise bar
Deity knucklebuster grips
OneUp EDC Lite tool
SRAM HS2 rotors (front and rear)
RideWrap (which I hate) (Invisiframe is a ton better, they didn’t have a large alloy kit)

My one gripe, I wish the bike came with a 210mm dropper. I will also swap out the 30t ring for a 34t.

Looks great! Curious why you prefer invisiframe to RideWrap. I've only tried ridewrap and it was definitely a pain.

Posted: Dec 5, 2021 at 10:51 Quote
mikepal wrote:
Transition Spire

My one gripe, I wish the bike came with a 210mm dropper. I will also swap out the 30t ring for a 34t.

Word of caution when installing the 34t check the clearance before slamming the cranks in like normal, My 34t contacted the frame & I had to flip the ring. Shimano drivetrain.


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009025
Mobile Version of Website