Transition Spire - new long travel 29er

PB Forum :: Transition
Transition Spire - new long travel 29er
Posted: Dec 5, 2021 at 11:06 Quote
mtb-thetown wrote:
mikepal wrote:
Transition Spire

Just finished up adding a few personal bits onto my new GX Alloy. Had to snap a quick pic before it hits the dirt.

Specs:
Large GX Alloy
36.7 pounds (tubeless with tire inserts and flat pedals)

OneUp 35mm rise bar
Deity knucklebuster grips
OneUp EDC Lite tool
SRAM HS2 rotors (front and rear)
RideWrap (which I hate) (Invisiframe is a ton better, they didn’t have a large alloy kit)

My one gripe, I wish the bike came with a 210mm dropper. I will also swap out the 30t ring for a 34t.

Looks great! Curious why you prefer invisiframe to RideWrap. I've only tried ridewrap and it was definitely a pain.

I found ride wrap has far too big of gaps. It’s almost as ride wrap ships out one frame size too small. Invisiframe is far more precise and covers more of the frame. Both are just as difficult to install since they use the same material.

Good to know about the 34t ring. I’ll definitely keep an eye out for clearance issues.

Posted: Dec 5, 2021 at 11:55 Quote
Anyone know where I can get a headset for my spire? I know it's meant to be ZS 56/56 but can't seem to find any anywhere. Appreciate the help, thanks!

Can't wait to build it up and shred it Smile

Posted: Dec 5, 2021 at 14:58 Quote
Fullsend2-13 wrote:
Anyone know where I can get a headset for my spire? I know it's meant to be ZS 56/56 but can't seem to find any anywhere. Appreciate the help, thanks!

Go back a few pages in this thread, quite a few options were discussed.

Posted: Dec 5, 2021 at 15:29 Quote
mikepal wrote:
It’s the gold decal kit. I’m surprised it matched so well. However I am disappointed in the gold peaty’s valve stems, they do not match.

I got my eye on the bourbon peaty's valves, haven't pulled the trigger yet. they look like they could be more on the brown side. side note, also wish the dropper was 210, would have ok with a 180 but the 150 feels like a slip in the build with such a low seat tube

Posted: Dec 5, 2021 at 15:32 Quote
Nateffb wrote:
side note, also wish the dropper was 210, would have ok with a 180 but the 150 feels like a slip in the build with such a low seat tube

It's not to their preference either, I'm sure, but long droppers are hard to come by at the moment.

Posted: Dec 5, 2021 at 15:38 Quote
f*ckingsteve wrote:
Nateffb wrote:
side note, also wish the dropper was 210, would have ok with a 180 but the 150 feels like a slip in the build with such a low seat tube

It's not to their preference either, I'm sure, but long droppers are hard to come by at the moment.

I think I remember hearing about that in a review. I get it, probably helped get the bike in my hands sooner. it still drops so ill get on with it

Posted: Dec 6, 2021 at 6:21 Quote
hi everyone

im in the market for a long travel 29er (and i do know that this is a spire forum and people will recommend me the spire)
already pre-ordered the alloy gx kit as my favorite local shop sells transition and im a huge supporter of them
which in my country comes with trp dhr evo (223/203) and fox float x perf elite due to covid supply issues

so the question is, what would be the pros and cons of the spire alloy to lets say, an average modern long travel 29er enduro bike like the all new torque 29er or the stumpy evo? value, geo, suspension kinematics, etc..

(fyi, spire alloy gx kit sells for about 4.6k usd here in south korea)
i never had a chance to ride a spire so... :/
thanks in advance

Posted: Dec 6, 2021 at 12:01 Quote
pineapplepizza wrote:
hi everyone

im in the market for a long travel 29er (and i do know that this is a spire forum and people will recommend me the spire)
already pre-ordered the alloy gx kit as my favorite local shop sells transition and im a huge supporter of them
which in my country comes with trp dhr evo (223/203) and fox float x perf elite due to covid supply issues

so the question is, what would be the pros and cons of the spire alloy to lets say, an average modern long travel 29er enduro bike like the all new torque 29er or the stumpy evo? value, geo, suspension kinematics, etc..

thanks in advance

Why I like the spire alloy I got is that it is a big bike that can handle big rough terrain at speed, but still feels quick and nimble in tighter and slower sections. I also test rode a stumpy Evo, which is more of a large trail bike, and to compare the spire has a lot more travel which let's you hit rougher stuff faster. The bigger fork also makes the steering feel more direct. The spire also feels nearly as easy to maneuver and jump as the Evo. The spire is more similar to a spesh Enduro, but has a much more supportive and poppy suspension as opposed to the Enduro which feels more damped and plow like.

Posted: Dec 6, 2021 at 17:39 Quote
Fullsend2-13 wrote:

Amazon has the Funn ones in stock still. Top bearing cover says Funn on it in stealth lettering. Pretty sweet but cannot report on how long bearings last etc on it yet.

Lower: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076GYR4QM?ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details&th=1&psc=1

Upper: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076D8MNKL?ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details&th=1&psc=1

Posted: Dec 6, 2021 at 18:23 Quote
mtb-thetown wrote:
pineapplepizza wrote:
hi everyone

thanks in advance

Why I like the spire alloy I got is that it is a big bike that can handle big rough terrain at speed, but still feels quick and nimble in tighter and slower sections. I also test rode a stumpy Evo, which is more of a large trail bike, and to compare the spire has a lot more travel which let's you hit rougher stuff faster. The bigger fork also makes the steering feel more direct. The spire also feels nearly as easy to maneuver and jump as the Evo. The spire is more similar to a spesh Enduro, but has a much more supportive and poppy suspension as opposed to the Enduro which feels more damped and plow like.

thanks for the detailed comparison, hope my bike arrives by the time my collarbone heals...

Posted: Dec 7, 2021 at 20:26 Quote
Really loving my Spire XT so far, for now its my only bike and its working great even on mellow trails.
It replaced a 2022 Stumpjumper Evo that I just didn't get along with. I have so much more confidence downhill with this bike and its seems to have a better pedaling platform too.

Mods;
GX AXS
DHF EXO
Dissector EXO
Carbon Renthal Bar
Red Bling

32.8 #s Size Large with XT Trail SPD pedals.

I've got a 200mm Fox Factory Transfer ordered and I'll be getting a second set of wheels to mount the stock tires for the bike park (Angel Fire) in the Spring.

Posted: Dec 7, 2021 at 20:46 Quote
luckyguy19 wrote:
Really loving my Spire XT so far, for now its my only bike and its working great even on mellow trails.

Super hot, but I'd avoid lifting it by the saddle with the post down.

Posted: Dec 7, 2021 at 21:20 Quote
f*ckingsteve wrote:
luckyguy19 wrote:

Super hot, but I'd avoid lifting it by the saddle with the post down.

Hadn't thought of that, will do in the future.

Posted: Dec 8, 2021 at 2:42 Quote
luckyguy19 wrote:
It replaced a 2022 Stumpjumper Evo that I just didn't get along with. I have so much more confidence downhill with this bike and its seems to have a better pedaling platform too.

good to hear, i chose the spire over the stumpy evo and i hope i made the right choice
great looking bike

Posted: Dec 8, 2021 at 9:37 Quote
Hey all, Trying to decide if its worth it to wait 4+ months for the upcharge in carbon or to just get the Alloy XT build right now? can anyone comment on the playfulness of the bike?

For context I am 150 pounds and 5'8, I like to go fast but also more enjoy popping of everything in sight. I live in California and am also considering a canfield Lithium. Any thought are much appreciated

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008366
Mobile Version of Website