Transition Spire - new long travel 29er

PB Forum :: Transition
Transition Spire - new long travel 29er
Posted: Jan 18, 2022 at 16:17 Quote
PSA: Don't just do what I did!

If you have dumped you Speshy Enduro for a Spire, which many people are currently doing Big Grin , don't just cut the 5mm spacer off the EXT shock from the Enduro to get 65mm of stroke.

The HBO function needs to be modified for 65mm of stroke as well. Luckily EXT USA reached out to me before I damaged the shock.

Posted: Jan 19, 2022 at 7:05 Quote
coil guys

how does the spire/patrol ride with a coil shock, had a coil on my last bike and i loved it. its the first time on an float x2 airshock and i really like it but mybe i am gonna put a coil on it

Posted: Jan 19, 2022 at 7:20 Quote
stonedbiker420 wrote:
coil guys

how does the spire/patrol ride with a coil shock, had a coil on my last bike and i loved it. its the first time on an float x2 airshock and i really like it but mybe i am gonna put a coil on it
Hey stoney bologna,
I came from a coiled scout and was able to keep my coil for the spire. I’m going to try and run it on park days. But probably try this x2 shock and hopefully it doesn’t blow up. Seen a couple of blown x2 airs and read more about them crapping out. Point being, having an extra shock to back up a fox shock, probably not a bad idea.

Posted: Jan 19, 2022 at 10:00 Quote
stonedbiker420 wrote:
coil guys

#oncoil for life!

lol probably a preference thing but I love the coil shock on my patrol. Also have a coil on my scout. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Posted: Jan 19, 2022 at 15:07 Quote
Buggyr333 wrote:
stonedbiker420 wrote:
coil guys

#oncoil for life!

lol probably a preference thing but I love the coil shock on my patrol. Also have a coil on my scout. I wouldn't have it any other way.

I tried a coil on my 2019 Patrol and didn't really like it. Definitely made it hug the ground well, but also made it feel a lot less supportive, nimble and maneuverable. I would say coil is nice if you want to prioritize performance on long chunky descents, but air is better for pumping, corners, jumps and climbing.

I went back to the DPX2 on my Patrol, but I still have the coil and am going to try it on the Spire at some point just for interests sake. I am expecting similar results to before, but will update if find something different.

Posted: Jan 19, 2022 at 17:30 Quote
mtb-thetown wrote:
Buggyr333 wrote:
stonedbiker420 wrote:
coil guys

#oncoil for life!

I tried a coil on my 2019 Patrol and didn't really like it. Definitely made it hug the ground well, but also made it feel a lot less supportive, nimble and maneuverable. I would say coil is nice if you want to prioritize performance on long chunky descents, but air is better for pumping, corners, jumps and climbing.

I went back to the DPX2 on my Patrol, but I still have the coil and am going to try it on the Spire at some point just for interests sake. I am expecting similar results to before, but will update if find something different.

Worth noting that the 2019 patrol in it's stock form is a very linear ratio. Not very well suited to a coil. New one is a lot more progressive.

Posted: Jan 19, 2022 at 23:18 Quote
Buggyr333 wrote:
mtb-thetown wrote:
Buggyr333 wrote:

#oncoil for life!

Worth noting that the 2019 patrol in it's stock form is a very linear ratio. Not very well suited to a coil. New one is a lot more progressive.

True, but I should have mentioned I was running it with a Cascade link, so similar progression to new one. I really liked what the Cascade link did for that bike, but I still preferred the air shock everywhere except long straight chunky sections

Posted: Jan 20, 2022 at 9:08 Quote
Back to the topic of frame weight. Transition looks to have published their frame weights, Carbon spire frame is 7.6lbs with shock, which I feel is worth noting is about a full lb more than what Fanatic says. Still lighter than I thought it would be though.

Posted: Jan 20, 2022 at 9:27 Quote
Buggyr333 wrote:
Back to the topic of frame weight. Transition looks to have published their frame weights, Carbon spire frame is 7.6lbs with shock, which I feel is worth noting is about a full lb more than what Fanatic says. Still lighter than I thought it would be though.

I saw that. Fanatik lists the weight without shock, and the X2 weighs about 650g so total is a hair over 7 lbs.

I'm going out on a limb and guessing that Fanatik's weighs are accurate. There was a reason why Transition didn't publish weights of the new Al Patrol and Spire when they could have easily. I'm guessing they didn't want to people to know there's such a big difference in weight from carbon to alloy and I think they've fudged it by 1/2 lb.

Posted: Jan 20, 2022 at 10:56 Quote
The published weights don't make sense unless I am missing something.

3lbs difference between alloy and carbon frames.

1.5lbs difference between alloy and carbon XT build bikes.

Either way I'm super happy with my XT carbon. Apart from when I dropped it in the workshop and snapped a lever blade! Turns out there are no blades in stock (who knew?!) so I have one on the way from Taiwan. Also turns out the M8000 blades don't fit as they are 1mm thicker (WTF Shimano!) but nothing 5 minutes with a file and some digital calipers didn't easily fix to save my day riding!

Posted: Jan 20, 2022 at 11:22 Quote
Still lighter than a range! Ha!

Posted: Jan 20, 2022 at 12:21 Quote
diggery wrote:

Yeah I wondered about that too, there’s a mistake in one direction or the other...

Posted: Jan 20, 2022 at 20:46 Quote
Hey man check out the levels from Flo racing, they make moto style replacement levers for Shimano

diggery wrote:

Either way I'm super happy with my XT carbon. Apart from when I dropped it in the workshop and snapped a lever blade! Turns out there are no blades in stock (who knew?!) so I have one on the way from Taiwan. Also turns out the M8000 blades don't fit as they are 1mm thicker (WTF Shimano!) but nothing 5 minutes with a file and some digital calipers didn't easily fix to save my day riding!

Posted: Jan 21, 2022 at 1:40 Quote
The Flo Motorsports levers are great, they have the breakaway design and if you do end up breaking one they have a life time warranty.

cogsci wrote:
Hey man check out the levels from Flo racing, they make moto style replacement levers for Shimano

diggery wrote:

Posted: Jan 21, 2022 at 1:41 Quote
diggery wrote:

Flo Motorsports have their Shimano levers in stock.

https://flomotorsports.com/products/copy-of-beta-brake-lever-1?_pos=1&_sid=23b2cc16f&_ss=r

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.007871
Mobile Version of Website