Transition Spire - new long travel 29er

PB Forum :: Transition
Transition Spire - new long travel 29er
Posted: Jan 21, 2022 at 3:07 Quote
You ever heard of mc people putting teflon tape under the brake clamps? Or just not tightening the clamps super tight on the bar. So if there is an impact you have a chance of them rotating out of the way so they won’t break. Them just slap them back into position.

Posted: Jan 21, 2022 at 3:25 Quote
I used teflon tape in my YZ125 and it worked ok.
I also had fold back levers as I used to drop that thing quite often!

The impact that broke my lever was end on, bike fell sideways onto a cabinet so there was no rotation, it snapped clean off with a ping. Teflon wouldn't have helped. Also need to watch rotation from the I spec dropper and shifter.

I've seen Flo but they are super expensive and hard to get in the UK, I just wanted to get riding again asap and my modified lever is holding up.

Posted: Jan 21, 2022 at 7:45 Quote
davec113 wrote:
Buggyr333 wrote:
Back to the topic of frame weight. Transition looks to have published their frame weights, Carbon spire frame is 7.6lbs with shock, which I feel is worth noting is about a full lb more than what Fanatic says. Still lighter than I thought it would be though.

I saw that. Fanatik lists the weight without shock, and the X2 weighs about 650g so total is a hair over 7 lbs.

I'm going out on a limb and guessing that Fanatik's weighs are accurate. There was a reason why Transition didn't publish weights of the new Al Patrol and Spire when they could have easily. I'm guessing they didn't want to people to know there's such a big difference in weight from carbon to alloy and I think they've fudged it by 1/2 lb.

Going off the weight in the fanatic builder with the X2 added. They list the frame without shock at 5.3lb for a Md. With float X2 they say it is about 6.5lb
I still 100% doubt fanatic's weights. A spire frame is not lighter than a sentinel/scout. Which according to them, it is.

Posted: Jan 21, 2022 at 8:15 Quote
Buggyr333 wrote:
davec113 wrote:
Buggyr333 wrote:
Back to the topic of frame weight. Transition looks to have published their frame weights, Carbon spire frame is 7.6lbs with shock, which I feel is worth noting is about a full lb more than what Fanatic says. Still lighter than I thought it would be though.

I saw that. Fanatik lists the weight without shock, and the X2 weighs about 650g so total is a hair over 7 lbs.

I'm going out on a limb and guessing that Fanatik's weighs are accurate. There was a reason why Transition didn't publish weights of the new Al Patrol and Spire when they could have easily. I'm guessing they didn't want to people to know there's such a big difference in weight from carbon to alloy and I think they've fudged it by 1/2 lb.

Going off the weight in the fanatic builder with the X2 added. They list the frame without shock at 5.3lb for a Md. With float X2 they say it is about 6.5lb
I still 100% doubt fanatic's weights. A spire frame is not lighter than a sentinel/scout. Which according to them, it is.

Yeah, looking at 2543 vs 2580g for Spire and Sentinel large frames respectively, w/o shock. OTOH the frames look nearly identical, so if they are basically the same frame with some different angles and rockers you'd expect similar weights. Small differences could be down to production tolerances or weighs with or without rdh and rear axle, which ships in a box with the frame.

Also the weights on Transitions website are certainly incorrect in some instances, as others pointed out they claim a 3 lb difference Al vs C and only 1.5 lbs with complete bikes so we know for sure that's not the case.

Would be nice to get some more data on this if anyone out there has weighed their carbon Spire frames...

Posted: Jan 21, 2022 at 9:06 Quote
My medium alloy Spire with Fox X2, der hanger, rear axle, seat post collar, and headset cups was right on what Transition claims at 10.6 lbs.

Or 9.2 lbs without a shock, I weighed the 205X65 Fox X2 @ 1.4 lbs.

Just because a carbon frame looks like another one, does not mean the layup is the same. There could be a huge weight difference based on the type of carbon used, and the quantity.
Look at Specialized older SJ's, there was over a 1/2lb difference between S-Works layup and the cheaper one. But they look identical from the outside.

Or 200g difference for Santa Cruz C and CC frames.

Posted: Jan 21, 2022 at 9:40 Quote
bikebasher wrote:
My medium alloy Spire with Fox X2, der hanger, rear axle, seat post collar, and headset cups was right on what Transition claims at 10.6 lbs.

Or 9.2 lbs without a shock, I weighed the 205X65 Fox X2 @ 1.4 lbs.

Just because a carbon frame looks like another one, does not mean the layup is the same. There could be a huge weight difference based on the type of carbon used, and the quantity.
Look at Specialized older SJ's, there was over a 1/2lb difference between S-Works layup and the cheaper one. But they look identical from the outside.

Or 200g difference for Santa Cruz C and CC frames.

My Al frame that I briefly had was about the same, 10.6 lbs, and matched Fanatik's weight almost exactly.

I understand the Sentinel and Spire may have significant differences, but otoh they may not have significant differences and could be nearly identical. I'd suggest the latter is more probable since it seems like they weigh almost exactly the same from the data we currently have.

edit: Transition claims the C Spire weighs .6 lbs more vs Sentinel but not sure I believe it. I'd be more inclined to believe Fanatik, and that Transition's added .5 lbs to the C Spires weight based on the fact their other weights are certainly wrong.

Posted: Jan 21, 2022 at 10:06 Quote
I wouldn't be surprised if the Sentinel and Spire carbon frames aren't far off each other in weight. If you look at the stated build weights from Transition, the bigger forks, rotors, and heavier tires account for most of the weight difference.

Posted: Jan 21, 2022 at 12:12 Quote
I'll weigh my car n frame when I change build kits next week or so

Posted: Jan 21, 2022 at 12:47 Quote
You don't really need to weigh your car too. Just the bike frame would be cool... lol

Posted: Jan 21, 2022 at 17:59 Quote
whattheheel wrote:
You don't really need to weigh your car too. Just the bike frame would be cool... lol
Typo you chumbler.
It's a jeep thing.

Posted: Jan 21, 2022 at 18:19 Quote
nubbs wrote:
I'll weigh my car n frame when I change build kits next week or so

Thanks, will be interesting to know exactly how many grams I'm losing for that extra $1.1k, lol.

For medium frames Transition claims 2794g, Fanatik claims 2423, which comes to 371g difference, way more than whether they included the headset, rdh and rear axle or not.

The Fanatik numbers seem pretty low, otoh my numbers for the Al frame match theirs closely and the ones Transition posted for frames vs completes don't match up.

Posted: Jan 21, 2022 at 21:12 Quote
nubbs wrote:
whattheheel wrote:
Typo you chumbler.
It's a jeep thing.

Couldn’t help myself. I am 12.

Posted: Jan 21, 2022 at 21:29 Quote
I think the Fanatik weights are pretty close. My large carbon spire frame with no shock, axle or headset came in at 5.5 lbs.

I was very surprised because it was nearly a full pound lighter than my 2019 carbon patrol frame despite being a much larger frame.

Posted: Jan 22, 2022 at 17:39 Quote
The big question here is what is the airspeed of an unladen spire?

Posted: Jan 23, 2022 at 0:08 Quote
What do you mean? An Alu or Carbon Spire?

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.006699
Mobile Version of Website