Transition Spire - new long travel 29er

PB Forum :: Transition
Transition Spire - new long travel 29er
Posted: Jan 23, 2022 at 4:08 Quote
Does anyone know the seat collar torque for the carbon frame? It's not listed in the spec. If not I'll drop them a line.

Posted: Jan 23, 2022 at 7:41 Quote
diggery wrote:
Does anyone know the seat collar torque for the carbon frame? It's not listed in the spec. If not I'll drop them a line.
6nm max torque I'd say.

Posted: Jan 23, 2022 at 11:46 Quote
dsweet3 wrote:
I think the Fanatik weights are pretty close. My large carbon spire frame with no shock, axle or headset came in at 5.5 lbs.

I was very surprised because it was nearly a full pound lighter than my 2019 carbon patrol frame despite being a much larger frame.

Thanks, I think that confirms Fanatik's weight as being accurate. So around 3.5 lbs or 1588g difference Al vs C. When I started mtb almost 20 yrs ago I was told $1/g is pretty normal to save weight, so in today's $ it's a bargain for carbon.

It is a little strange that the C frame is so light and Al is so heavy though, imo it shouldn't be that hard to take a couple lbs off Al, Spire is a pretty simple frame overall... but maybe the slack HA is more of an issue with Al, or they're just not paying for the lightest Al manufacturing. I think now that C is considered high end Al is now more to save cash and it's also probably a little more overbuilt to save on warranty claims.

Posted: Jan 23, 2022 at 12:08 Quote
Although I don't specifically chase weight, I've also found the £/g a reasonable rule of thumb, so was pretty pleased to get my Carbon for £500 more than an Alu version - 3x better value for money Wink Cool

Posted: Jan 23, 2022 at 12:14 Quote
To those who have tried both... Alloy spire frame or carbon enduro frame? I know spire thread but interested in the takes... I would take the carbon spire if given the chance..

Posted: Jan 23, 2022 at 13:41 Quote
falkyn wrote:
To those who have tried both... Alloy spire frame or carbon enduro frame? I know spire thread but interested in the takes... I would take the carbon spire if given the chance..

Here’s one guy’s observations
https://youtu.be/lBLqQOub4fI

Posted: Jan 23, 2022 at 14:13 Quote
davec113 wrote:
Thanks, I think that confirms Fanatik's weight as being accurate. So around 3.5 lbs or 1588g difference Al vs C. When I started mtb almost 20 yrs ago I was told $1/g is pretty normal to save weight, so in today's $ it's a bargain for carbon.

It is a little strange that the C frame is so light and Al is so heavy though, imo it shouldn't be that hard to take a couple lbs off Al, Spire is a pretty simple frame overall... but maybe the slack HA is more of an issue with Al, or they're just not paying for the lightest Al manufacturing. I think now that C is considered high end Al is now more to save cash and it's also probably a little more overbuilt to save on warranty claims.

I think it would be pretty hard to cut much weight from the alloy frame without sacrificing stiffness or reliability especially with the long stays and super slack headtube rated for DC forks.

My 2018 alloy XL Sentinel frame was 10lbs w/ DPX2, and was the stiffest and strongest feeling alloy frame I've ridden (borderline overbuilt). I've also had a Banshee Titan which was 9lbs w/ X2 and felt almost as stiff but I have heard a few reports of cracked frames. Most recently I've been on a SJ Evo Alloy which is also 9lbs w/Float X and while it isn't a complete noodle it definitely has more rear end flex than the other two frames.

If I were picking up a Spire I'd go carbon, as you said its a lot lighter for not much more. The alloy frame is still a killer option for the money though

Posted: Jan 24, 2022 at 0:01 Quote
Parsurf wrote:
The big question here is what is the airspeed of an unladen spire?

Depends on whether you are talking about an American or European spire. Wink

Posted: Jan 24, 2022 at 3:25 Quote
falkyn wrote:

tried the carbon enduro (36, dpx2) and the alloy spire (nx kit, alloy)
both not mine so i cant describe the details well but both are bikes with long wheelbases and big wheels and u can feel it
i'd go for the spire which is why i have a gx kit on order waiting for 5 months but i suggest you demo both as everyone has their preferences
+ the raw frame looks just absolutely stunning
wonder how the orange frame looks in the woods, heard transition's paint quality is below average

Posted: Jan 24, 2022 at 7:50 Quote
falkyn wrote:

Haven't been able to really ride the Spire because of snow so can't comment on the suspension yet.

My main reasons for ditching the carbon Enduro was complexity of the suspension, and fragility of the head tube and other areas.

It was a big pain in the ass to do maintenance, chase creaks, etc on the Enduro. There are tons of bearings and concentric pivots. I had 3 of the shock mount bearing assemblies (non trunnion side) go crunchy in the year and a half I had one. And this was a Ca bike that rarely saw rain/mud.

But the bigger problem was how many of them break. There are many cases of STs and HTs cracking, some people have broken 2-3 frames. If you look at the head tube where the bearings drop in, it is made the same way as the super light XC frames. Minimal amount of material for a big bike. I didn't want to be sitting around for 4-5 months waiting for a replacement.

And according to Fanatik, the carbon Enduro frame (non S-Works) is the same weight as alloy Spire frame....and the S-Works version is 1.5 lbs heavier than a carbon Spire.

Posted: Jan 24, 2022 at 8:32 Quote
kpaintairbush wrote:
Parsurf wrote:

I don’t know! ARGHHHHHHHH….

Posted: Jan 24, 2022 at 14:37 Quote
Parsurf wrote:
kpaintairbush wrote:
Parsurf wrote:

I don’t know! ARGHHHHHHHH….

lol tup

Posted: Jan 24, 2022 at 22:20 Quote
bikebasher wrote:
falkyn wrote:

Haven't been able to really ride the Spire because of snow so can't comment on the suspension yet.

My main reasons for ditching the carbon Enduro was complexity of the suspension, and fragility of the head tube and other areas.

It was a big pain in the ass to do maintenance, chase creaks, etc on the Enduro. There are tons of bearings and concentric pivots. I had 3 of the shock mount bearing assemblies (non trunnion side) go crunchy in the year and a half I had one. And this was a Ca bike that rarely saw rain/mud.

But the bigger problem was how many of them break. There are many cases of STs and HTs cracking, some people have broken 2-3 frames. If you look at the head tube where the bearings drop in, it is made the same way as the super light XC frames. Minimal amount of material for a big bike. I didn't want to be sitting around for 4-5 months waiting for a replacement.

And according to Fanatik, the carbon Enduro frame (non S-Works) is the same weight as alloy Spire frame....and the S-Works version is 1.5 lbs heavier than a carbon Spire.
dude you talked right out of my soul, my spesh enduro broke at the HT and i had to wait till last week for my frame. and yeah it was a pain to clean and it creacked here and there. claimed warranty in october and spesh switzerland said ill get a frame sometime. in the meantime i switched to a large patrol and it was the best thing to do

Posted: Jan 25, 2022 at 16:14 Quote
TL;DR on the weights Transition published? Fairly accurate?

Posted: Jan 26, 2022 at 0:49 Quote
f*ckingsteve wrote:
TL;DR on the weights Transition published? Fairly accurate?

No, can't be.
Frame weights are 3lb different, full bike weights with the same build are 1.5lbs different. That doesn't add up.

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.007228
Mobile Version of Website