Bottom bracket clicking?!?!??

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Bottom bracket clicking?!?!??
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jun 2, 2021 at 18:20 Quote
I have a brand new stumpy evo expert and whenever I pedal hard there’s a bit of clicking down by the bottom bracket or in that area. Fells like something’s loose.

O+
Posted: Jun 3, 2021 at 0:51 Quote
Check all of the bolts down there, depending on your crank set you may need different tools. Failing that, if it’s brand new, take it back to where you bought it and get them to look at it. May have not been put together properly. I’ve seen bike shops do all sorts of weird things when putting bikes together. Usually its the shop kid or the lowest paid employee that gets the job of assembling all of the bikes.

Posted: Jun 3, 2021 at 2:56 Quote
yobananaboy wrote:
I have a brand new stumpy evo expert and whenever I pedal hard there’s a bit of clicking down by the bottom bracket or in that area. Fells like something’s loose.

sounds like chain not index'd correctly and is popping on the cassette?

Posted: Jun 3, 2021 at 6:21 Quote
Could be a lot of things.
Check tightness of pedals, BB, crankarms and chainring.
Might also be a seatpost or the the saddle needs a quarter turn tighter.
Could also be the chain skip mentioned above so twist the barrel nut a quarter turn in either direction.
Finally it could actually be the headset/steerer tube making the noise.
The noise a bike makes can fool you into believing it comes from a specific spot - don't fall for it. Check all the usual culprits.

Posted: Jun 3, 2021 at 21:14 Quote
Grease yer chain. Pull yer pedals, grease em n put back. If that dont do it start lookin at the seatpost...

Posted: Jun 4, 2021 at 12:40 Quote
nematon785 wrote:
Grease yer chain. Pull yer pedals, grease em n put back. If that dont do it start lookin at the seatpost...

He says it happens under power so I don’t think it is the seatpost. Also, you shouldn’t grease your chain because that will only attract dirt.

Posted: Jun 4, 2021 at 12:43 Quote
Also look at your pivots and shock hardware. I had a creak when putting the power down and thought it came from the bb. It turned out to be the shock hardware that had rattled loose.

Posted: Jun 4, 2021 at 16:00 Quote
I'd start with the pedals, especially if they're not new. Noises travel, pedals are easier to remove than the BB.

Posted: Jun 5, 2021 at 6:44 Quote
Has anyone found that their chainring was causing the issue?

Posted: Jun 5, 2021 at 22:22 Quote
MaartenR wrote:
nematon785 wrote:

He says it happens under power so I don’t think it is the seatpost. Also, you shouldn’t grease your chain because that will only attract dirt.

Absolutely on the grease thing. I was using the generic term for lube. I use teflon dry for my chains. Good catch. Grease on the chain would be bit .... Funny really

O+
Posted: Jun 6, 2021 at 6:22 Quote
gnarcissistictendency wrote:
Has anyone found that their chainring was causing the issue?

On the old 3X it was fairly easy to bend a tooth on a hard down shift, usually the middle ring. 1X chainrings seem to be much sturdier, I've yet to have an issue.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.007861
Mobile Version of Website