Genius 2021 Creaking

PB Forum :: Scott Bikes
Genius 2021 Creaking
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jun 4, 2021 at 6:18 Quote
My relatively new 2021 Genius 950 started to creak on rides. Noticed it mostly while climbing or pedaling. It was gradually getting worse until I didn't want to ride it anymore.

It sounded like it was from the headset, so I pulled the front end apart and inspected everything. The only thing that was weird was the lower bearing was looser than I expected in the bottom cup. Still creaking after reassembly.

Did some more listening and decided that maybe the noise was coming from the middle of the bike. Checked the torque on all the pivot bushings. Found one to be loose. Tightened, but still noisy.

Pulled out the rear shock, greased the pivot bushings and re-torqued everything. Noise gone.

So if you have creaking, hopefully this saves you some time. Start with the shock bushings.

Posted: Jul 10, 2021 at 21:00 Quote
I know the Scott Genius has a headset creaking issue on the carbon models. Which is what I have and it did creak in the headset. I got it calmed down now thankfully!!! I just loosened everything up and re-tightened. Glad you found and fixed your creak!! Lol. I completely removed my twin loc and installed a Rockshox Super Deluxe Select + in the rear.

Posted: Aug 5, 2021 at 17:24 Quote
Started creaking again, so I disassembled greased and started to reassemble but, forgot which way the lower bushings sit. Can anyone check for me? Should be the same on the Ransom.

Neither seems exactly right:

A, the frame spacing is bigger than the width of the shock, so the frame bends when torqueing
B, the heads of the bolds drag on the outside of the bushing/frame, which is strange because the bolts should pivot with the shock and this design would eventually lead to the bolts loosening up. Also extra friction.

A

B

Posted: Sep 5, 2021 at 6:19 Quote
I got a new Genius 950 2021 and I have the same issue as you with the cracking after few rides, did you manage to figure out the reason? loosened everything up and re-tightened for me seems not to fix the issue

Posted: Sep 6, 2021 at 5:34 Quote
Janka2021 wrote:
I got a new Genius 950 2021 and I have the same issue as you with the cracking after few rides, did you manage to figure out the reason? loosened everything up and re-tightened for me seems not to fix the issue

Greasing the shock bushings helps. I think most of it comes from the geometry adjustment chips. If you hose down your bike after riding, try not to spray that area too hard. Also, try some thicker greases.

Posted: Sep 10, 2021 at 5:34 Quote
I have a 2021 Scott Spark 930 that has a creak in the headset. Have had it in and out of the shop to isolate and attempt to solve the noise. The headset has been taken apart, cleaned bearings and re-greased which helped but the noise keeps returning after one ride or two at most. Tried a gentle wash with the hose and drywipe after a ride but it didn't matter how you cleaned the bike, the noise always comes back. Spoke to the techs where I bought the bike in VT and they have been running into the same issue with other Scott bikes like the Genius and they have been replacing the syncros headset with Cane Creek which eliminated the creak. At this point I am going to give that a try.

Posted: Sep 12, 2021 at 5:09 Quote
Brannanimal wrote:
I have a 2021 Scott Spark 930 that has a creak in the headset. Have had it in and out of the shop to isolate and attempt to solve the noise. The headset has been taken apart, cleaned bearings and re-greased which helped but the noise keeps returning after one ride or two at most. Tried a gentle wash with the hose and drywipe after a ride but it didn't matter how you cleaned the bike, the noise always comes back. Spoke to the techs where I bought the bike in VT and they have been running into the same issue with other Scott bikes like the Genius and they have been replacing the syncros headset with Cane Creek which eliminated the creak. At this point I am going to give that a try.

Coincidently, my headset started creaking. I checked it out and the lower race is very loose in the frame. I brought it in because I thought it could be something big and I'm still under warranty. They greased it, removed a spacer and said it was fine. This is why I don't go to the bike shop anymore.

Anyway, let us know the part number for the cane creek if you go that route.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.005752
Mobile Version of Website