Trials/ trials bike for 10 year old

PB Forum :: Observed Biketrials
Trials/ trials bike for 10 year old
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jun 7, 2021 at 7:55 Quote
My son is interested in getting into trials riding. He asked this morning about getting a bike and showed me a couple of options he'd found in the $800-$900 range that he'd like to buy with all his xmas/birthday money that he's saved up over several years.

He already rides an 18" Sunday Primer BMX and a 26" Nukeproof Cub Scout hardtail and whilst I want to support his interests I'm worried that dropping the best part of $1000 on a single use bike might not be the best use of money.

How far could he progress on the bikes he already has before it would make sense to get him a proper trials bike?

My 8 year old rides a 24" disc brake MTB, but we have a rigid fork for it. Might there be an option to covert that to a trials bike at some point with a single speed conversion and a some much better brakes?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Posted: Jun 10, 2021 at 19:13 Quote
ChiefSilverback wrote:
My son is interested in getting into trials riding. He asked this morning about getting a bike and showed me a couple of options he'd found in the $800-$900 range that he'd like to buy with all his xmas/birthday money that he's saved up over several years.

He already rides an 18" Sunday Primer BMX and a 26" Nukeproof Cub Scout hardtail and whilst I want to support his interests I'm worried that dropping the best part of $1000 on a single use bike might not be the best use of money.

How far could he progress on the bikes he already has before it would make sense to get him a proper trials bike?

My 8 year old rides a 24" disc brake MTB, but we have a rigid fork for it. Might there be an option to covert that to a trials bike at some point with a single speed conversion and a some much better brakes?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Are you looking at a street trials bike or pure trials?
Learning trials on a non-trials bike is difficult. It also depends on how dedicated your kid is, trials is challenging.
I wish my daughter wanted a trials bike though, I'd run out a buy her quick.

Posted: Jul 6, 2021 at 11:38 Quote
For now I'd just put the rigid fork on it and shift it into a trials appropriate low gear. Most new trials riders make the mistake of trying to learn back wheel hops and such first. But if you can get him to start learning balance lines, trackstanding, and low speed rolling up / down things, that's a huge step and the most important part of trials foundations. If he really catches the bug, then go for it.

I got into trials when I was about 12, didn't get my first "trials" bike until I was 15 and got my own job. There's a lot to learn before you get to the back wheel moves.

Posted: Dec 31, 2021 at 16:33 Quote
+1 for the which style of trials you want, street or pure. However, regardless of which you choose, the resale on a real kids trials bike (street or pure) is fantastic. They are rare new or used. If you get a new one for $800, you'll be able to turn that around in a few years for nearly the same price. A real trials bike will allow your child to improve much more rapidly, definitely.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010816
Mobile Version of Website