Is this bike too big for me? (4ft 11)

PB Forum :: Girl's Clubhouse
Is this bike too big for me? (4ft 11)
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jun 11, 2021 at 14:16 Quote
Hi everyone, I'm hoping to get some advice.

I'm new to mtb and was super excited to have my Vitus Sentier 27 VRW (XS size) arrive. However, I'm a little bit worried that it's too big for me!

I'm 4ft 11 (150cm) with a 26" inseam and with the seat all the way down (which is slightly lower than the rear wheel) I'm on my very tippy toes and if I stand over the bike the frame is touching down below!

I'm unsure what to expect size-wise in a mtb as I haven't ridden since I was a teenager but am really keen to start! I just want to understand whether this size is okay otherwise do I go for a 26" youth bike or something else? I will mostly be riding on tracks, fields and trails in the UK.

Thanks in advance for any help! Smile

Posted: Jun 11, 2021 at 14:27 Quote
BellaAki wrote:
Hi everyone, I'm hoping to get some advice.

I'm new to mtb and was super excited to have my Vitus Sentier 27 VRW (XS size) arrive. However, I'm a little bit worried that it's too big for me!

I'm 4ft 11 (150cm) with a 26" inseam and with the seat all the way down (which is slightly lower than the rear wheel) I'm on my very tippy toes and if I stand over the bike the frame is touching down below!

I'm unsure what to expect size-wise in a mtb as I haven't ridden since I was a teenager but am really keen to start! I just want to understand whether this size is okay otherwise do I go for a 26" youth bike or something else? I will mostly be riding on tracks, fields and trails in the UK.

Thanks in advance for any help! Smile

you can only tell when you are standing over the bike with the pedals flat

Posted: Oct 22, 2021 at 7:31 Quote
I rode this bike
and despite its size it is very comfortable and suitable even for someone who has never ridden this type of sportbike, suits the riding comfort of both me and my boyfriend))

Posted: Oct 22, 2021 at 8:34 Quote
Set the seat height where it "looks" right and then get on and ride it. Fine tune the seat height up or down so that your knees are just slightly bent when your pedal is at the bottom of the stroke and the ball of your foot is on the pedal. Your leg should not be straight down at the bottom of the stroke - just a slight bend - when the foot is properly on the pedal.
Now ride some more and see how it feels to pedal - you should not be shifting your bottom side-to-side over the saddle to reach the bottom of the stroke. Your torso should be very steady and your legs should be doing the moving.
This video may help set seat height.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jh5Zv6Dcn6k

If you get the seat set just right but then the reach to the bars is too long to be comfortable the bike might be too big. However, there are some adjustments at the stem and bar that can bring the reach where it feels right. You can get a shorter stem and you can roll the bar to suit your reach.

Good luck.

EDIT: just realized this is in the Girl's forum and it's a really old post. Please forgive my transgression.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.005816
Mobile Version of Website