close
Pinkbike is now part of Outside! As of December 3, 2021, please refer to the Outside Terms of Use and Privacy Policy which govern your use of the Pinkbike website and services.

What’s this noise

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
What’s this noise
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Message
Posted: Jun 13, 2021 at 23:41 Quote
Bought this bike used from another PB user and have ridden it 3 times. It has done this from the start. 2018 Rocky Mountain Altitude and Fox DPX2 shock. Shock and bushing hardware are brand new and correct size. Torqued mounting bolts to 8nm as per owner’s manual. Tried installing everything clean and then again with grease. It’s not the saddle or bottom bracket; already checked those. I can feel the ticking coming from the front shock mount. The noise is louder with more air in the shock. Seems like a cracked shock mount or wallowed out mounting holes but neither are present that I can see or feel. Ordered the 7 piece Fox bushing assembly to try.

Anyone have any ideas?

Views: 62    Faves: 0    Comments: 0

Posted: Jun 14, 2021 at 0:04 Quote
DahvBooey wrote:
Bought this bike used from another PB user and have ridden it 3 times. It has done this from the start. 2018 Rocky Mountain Altitude and Fox DPX2 shock. Shock and bushing hardware are brand new and correct size. Torqued mounting bolts to 8nm as per owner’s manual. Tried installing everything clean and then again with grease. It’s not the saddle or bottom bracket; already checked those. I can feel the ticking coming from the front shock mount. The noise is louder with more air in the shock. Seems like a cracked shock mount or wallowed out mounting holes but neither are present that I can see or feel. Ordered the 7 piece Fox bushing assembly to try.

Anyone have any ideas?

Views: 62    Faves: 0    Comments: 0
Usually that sound is caused by dirty seat rails or dirt in other components that shift slightly while the suspension is being compressed. I would do a deep clean and re-assemble then move on.

Posted: Jun 14, 2021 at 2:48 Quote
Had this exact ticking/creaking noise on my 2021 altitude. It would only make the noise after a few decent hits, so impossible to replicate at the shop. Took everything apart and back together and no progress. Finally Got the bushing replaced and it's a silent bike now. Good luck, it's a real pain in the arse.

Posted: Jun 14, 2021 at 6:08 Quote
OptA wrote:
...Took everything apart and back together and no progress. Finally Got the bushing replaced and it's a silent bike now.

Did you replace the DU bushing on the shock?

Posted: Oct 22, 2021 at 14:07 Quote
DahvBooey wrote:
OptA wrote:
...Took everything apart and back together and no progress. Finally Got the bushing replaced and it's a silent bike now.

Did you replace the DU bushing on the shock?

Yes, and this helped for a while it seems. It came back though and I took it all apart and found the linkage bearings were notchy. Since replacing those it's been all quiet.

Until the PF bottom bracket decided to start chirping up...

Previous Page | Next Page

 
Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006277
Mobile Version of Website