Tying spokes for stiffer wheels

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Tying spokes for stiffer wheels
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Jun 16, 2021 at 10:19 Quote
I'm interested in the opinions of tying spoke crossings for stiffer wheels.
I've seen some pros do it in just about every discipline, but I've never seen anyone on the trail with it done. Is this a reasonable thing to do as a backyard/DIY mechanic? What wire do people use? Do you have to over or under-tension spokes, too?

I'm a 200+ lb guy that rides aggressively... I could use all the wheel stiffness I can get.

Posted: Jun 20, 2021 at 3:32 Quote
Fairly sure it's been proven that it doesn't provide any additional strength. Tying and soldering can also weaken your spoke through the heat needed, and will make breaking a spoke more expensive and time consuming to deal with.
Just get the thickest gauge spokes you can buy, and get a decent wheelbuilder to build them properly

Posted: Jun 20, 2021 at 5:06 Quote
I've never tried it personally, but I'm super skeptical of the value of tying and soldering spokes. It makes it damned complicated to replace a spoke later if needed, and, I've built wheels for guys up to 285 lb on standard 2.0/1.8/2.0 double butted spokes with no issues. If you want stiff wheels, go for carbon rims laced with 32 spokes at around 120kgf. 32 spokes is more than anyone needs on a carbon wheel, but it makes for a stiff build. If carbon just isn't your thing then I'd look at Spank or some other deep section rim and stay away from the shallow profile Stan's stuff.

Posted: Jun 22, 2021 at 3:30 Quote
Stops them falling into your derailleur when they break. But so does a ziptie or a piece of twine or dental floss.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008166
Mobile Version of Website