91 Klein Rascal resto

PB Forum :: Vintage and Fixed Gear Bikes
91 Klein Rascal resto
| Next Page
Posted: Sep 24, 2021 at 8:39 Quote

Sorry about the crappy picture but here it is with the 231s back on. In the flesh this looks real sharp. I will post better pics soon. Hopefully with new water bottle cage.

Posted: Sep 24, 2021 at 8:42 Quote
nice...she looks good like that. I like the black cage too.

you going purple cage ?? Pimp

Posted: Sep 28, 2021 at 13:52 Quote
So I went and got measured for a saddle. Sit bone width is 90mm suggests specialized brand saddles in widths of 143mm for a mid range riding position. I’d like to get a vintage Flite titanium saddle for this bike but I’d like to ensure it’s quite comfortable as I intend on this being my usual ride. I know it’s a big ask but would if i stay around the 143-150 range it should be comfortable regardless of brand?

Posted: Sep 30, 2021 at 4:48 Quote
man, I wish I could answer that but I've had shit luck with saddles. Ever since my Ochsner road bike was stolen, which had my beloved buffalo hide Cinelli Unicanitor saddle on it, I haven't found anything I've liked. With that being said, I've only tried a few and haven't put much science behind my search. This will not be the case moving forward.

But...Here is what we were discussing in the Road Bikes thread the other day though in case helpful.... Wink

badbadleroybrown wrote:
adm750 wrote:
@seraph - I'm sure you have all the saddle fitting tools at hand...

@BBLB - did you do the home ass-o-meter to get figure saddle width or did you get fitted ?

@ both you guys - I've seen several methods, but any preferred home methods to dial in on a saddle width....?
Much like Seraph, I did the "I've got a bin of saddles I now know I hate" method. lol All kidding aside, I've given away probably $800 in saddles and still have like four in a bin.

I tried a bunch of random house brand stuff that came on bikes I bought from Pinarello/Trek/Scott/Specialized... tried a Fizik Arione and f*cking hated it... at some point I got a WTB Volt on a mountain bike I bought and realized I really like the shape so I went to an Antares since they're similar but didn't like it at all. Figured the Antares was substantially flatter so I tried an Aliante that was 141mm wide liked the shape but could never get really comfortable over long rides so I looked a bit closer and realized that my Volt was 10mm wider, so I went to a 153mm Aliante and immediately noticed a huge improvement. Then tried the Aliante Open which has a channel like the Volt, and noticed still more improvement... been on that for about 8k miles now and pretty happy overall but the tail kicks up just a bit too much for my liking, which leads to me putting a bit more angle in the saddle than I really want, which leads to a bit more pressure than I really want when I'm up on the rivet.

So all that experimentation, and a handful of other less notable and more short lived efforts, leads me to the Romin Mirror that just came out... it's a very similar shape overall to the Aliante, about 5mm shorter and 2mm wider, with a bit less tail height, and supposedly excellent comfort on the nose thanks to the 3d printed trellis padding.

As for my preferred method to measure at home, I can't recall where I found it but it was some bike fitter on YouTube and it came out to 152mm for me which is pretty much dead on.

You take a piece of cardboard large enough to sit on and put it on a soft but supportive chair or bench, I used my work out bench... set something in front of the bench that's a few inches tall to put your feet on, I used a scrap piece of 4x4. Sit on the cardboard and put your feet up and then roughly mimic the posture you maintain on the bike and sit there for 10 seconds or so to let your weight settle in. Stand up and then use the flat side of a crayon or piece of chalk to do a "rubbing" over the carboard to color the high areas and highlight the impressions left by your sit bones. Measure center to center of the impression and then add 40-50mm to that number depending upon your preferred saddle shape; if you like a saddle that flares more toward the rear like the Spook kinny mentioned then add 50, if you like a saddle that doesn't flare much, add 40.

For me, center to center measured 107mm and +45mm got me to 152mm which is pretty on point with what experience had shown my ass to be happy with so I feel like it's a pretty good home measurement.

Posted: Sep 30, 2021 at 9:38 Quote
Ahh great read i guess it’ll be best guess but now I have some info to base first guess on thanks so much

Posted: Oct 7, 2021 at 3:36 Quote
coming along nicely boss...!

those skewers are pretty slick. hadn't seen those before...

Posted: Oct 7, 2021 at 8:49 Quote
Ya they actually have a locking mechanism love the look of em too

Posted: Oct 7, 2021 at 14:03 Quote
As she sits. Brakes and rear derailleur on the way LX 560 stuff. Bottle cage stuck in some sort of covid shipping nightmare. Hoping to ride before the snow falls

Posted: Oct 8, 2021 at 4:58 Quote
looks really good boss..! been cool to watch it progress tup

Posted: Oct 11, 2021 at 18:58 Quote
I hope you’ve enjoyed following along the build process of my Klein. I also have the Ritchey Ultra pictured above that I saved from certain demise.
www.bikeforums.net
Mid 80s Ritchey Ultra Build ser3009 - Bike Forums
Classic & Vintage - Mid 80s Ritchey Ultra Build ser3009 - Bought this off a guy who was given it by the original owner. Needless to say it is in a state of disrepair.
www.bikeforums.net
If any of you are members of retrobike.uk I'd love it if you would vote for it in this month’s BOTM Bike of the Month competition. https://www.retrobike.co.uk/threads/...5#post-3182887

Posted: Oct 13, 2021 at 13:09 Quote

New to me saddle day. My size 143mm for $55.00 had to pull the trigger. Specialized Hollow Chromo Body Geometry

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009697
Mobile Version of Website