Procore or Cushcore

• Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jun 18, 2021 at 5:57 Quote
Which of the two performs better, I see Cushcore needs to be replaced every two tyres, Procore does not, Procore is more adjustable and one size suits a wider range of tyre and rim sizes. Cushcore is also more difficult to install and both are around the same price give or take. So why is everyone opting for Cushcore over Procore?

Also if your carbon rim says for example max 40 psi, does that mean you can't use above 40psi in the Procore inner tube?

Posted: Jun 18, 2021 at 7:41 Quote
You don't have to replace cushcore every two tire changes, if you don't damage it. I don't run cc but bikes I worked on have and been through 2 seasons and work as they should. Have never tried procore but did a hack job of fitting a tufo tubular 27.5 stretched over a 29er at various pressures and it worked good at protecting the rim. but it doesn't give the support and dampening of cc. Not even close

Posted: Jun 19, 2021 at 11:12 Quote
Ive put 3 rear tires on my current CC. Hundreds of rock gardens later it still works like new. They will show marks from sharp impacts if you run low pressures but it doesn't affect the performance.

O+
Posted: Jun 19, 2021 at 17:34 Quote
If you use carbon rims then you want to use CushCore and forget about the ProCore as the higher air pressure that ProCore uses will void any warranty you may have on your carbon wheels.

Posted: Jun 19, 2021 at 21:33 Quote
People still run pro-core?

O+
Posted: Jun 20, 2021 at 3:32 Quote
Procore seems like a very complicated way of not achieving everything Cushcore does.

Posted: Jun 20, 2021 at 4:09 Quote
It is more complicated but in theory should be better for numerous reasons. Obviously it has negatives, like more likely to go wrong, small chance of puncture resulting in no runflat potential, carbon rim issues etc. But theoretically should be better in a few areas at least with some modifications, it installs flat so is easy to install, then you fill it with air potentially creating a better hold of the bead and more supportive sidewall, it should in theory be lighter as it is air and not dense foam, it is way more tuneable creating as much support, progressivity and small bump suppleness as you want, it has replaceable parts and according to the manufacturer should last much longer than foam inserts saving money long term.
So on paper I can definitely see the advantages, it just seems in practice maybe people have not had quite as much success with it as foam.

Posted: Jun 20, 2021 at 10:07 Quote
Not very tunable, low volume, high pressure tires don't give much range, you go from no resistance to quite hard in about 2 bars max ie at 7 bar is totally soft and won't protect you from anything and 9 is quite hard, no proggression or small bump compliance whatsoever, it's small volume means it wont support the outer tire in any situation other than near bottoming and when pumped up pretty high, the feeling you get is almost like hitting your rim. It better used as a rim protector and nothing else, it can cut the force of a hit before reaching the rim.

Posted: Jun 20, 2021 at 15:33 Quote
I never knew it was low volume. I did read a review article around when it came out and the reviewer said it made a massive difference to feel and small bump sensitivity, think they dropped pressure by around 5 psi if I remember correctly. But another thing to remember with any insert is that I don't think you can compare psi to running without insert, for example I think say you run 20 psi with no insert and drop to 15 psi with insert, it is actually more soft than running 15 psi with no insert as the volume of air has now also reduced, it probably feels more like running 12 psi with no insert but with increased sidewall support.

I definitely see the appeal of Cushcore too for this reason but currently really liking the look and reviews of those Michelin DH22 and 34 tyres, and those that have tried them say either you don't need an insert with them or that an insert with them doesn't only add even more weight but makes them feel harsher as they already have a very sturdy sidewall. They do look like great tyres though and I can get all matchy matchy with my Ohlins yellow painted ZEB's which is always a bonus for those of us that spend as much time staring at bikes as we do riding them.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009042
Mobile Version of Website