What Tire Inserts should I buy?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
What Tire Inserts should I buy?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jun 20, 2021 at 13:09 Quote
I am going to have some 29" Spank 359s build for my ebike. I am wanting to try tire inserts, as everything I read about them seems positive. However, I have no idea which ones I should purchase. Any advice?

Posted: Jun 20, 2021 at 18:45 Quote
Try Mynesweepers, light and rideable if you flat.

Posted: Jun 23, 2021 at 9:50 Quote
I went with Airliners.that was what was available.

Posted: Jun 23, 2021 at 22:39 Quote
Very happy with Rimpact here. Reasonably priced, can buy different size/type of each on a pair, minimal weight penalty. Tyre changes have gotten a bit more complicated, but not enough to come up with new foul words. Allowed me to drop 2-3 psi and that's playing on the safe side. Small but welcome improvement of bike feel both on ht and full suspension. Mate also on Rimpact finished a trail feeling great and discovered he had a leak that left 14psi in his rear tyre. I had a valve core leak and just rode 10km back home without any air at all. No damage on rim, tyre or insert. Their valves ate great too, allow for rich airflow when inflating.

Posted: Jun 23, 2021 at 23:21 Quote
justwan-naride wrote:
Very happy with Rimpact here. Reasonably priced, can buy different size/type of each on a pair, minimal weight penalty. Tyre changes have gotten a bit more complicated, but not enough to come up with new foul words. Allowed me to drop 2-3 psi and that's playing on the safe side. Small but welcome improvement of bike feel both on ht and full suspension. Mate also on Rimpact finished a trail feeling great and discovered he had a leak that left 14psi in his rear tyre. I had a valve core leak and just rode 10km back home without any air at all. No damage on rim, tyre or insert. Their valves ate great too, allow for rich airflow when inflating.
i have rimpacts as well seems real good for the price and are noticeable even when running 30psi

Posted: Jun 24, 2021 at 0:53 Quote
Tannus tubeless.

Lighter, easier to install, and cheaper than cushcore. They also review super well (look at nsmb’s review) pretty much everywhere.

I got a set this winter, and they let me run ~4-6psi lower than I would normally, without any noticeable negative effects. It works great for the wet and slimy roots, mud, and moss we have here.

Posted: Jun 24, 2021 at 1:53 Quote
8tom8 wrote:
justwan-naride wrote:
i have rimpacts as well seems real good for the price and are noticeable even when running 30psi

30psi! Riding Ft William?

I've had good results with Rimpact also. After 6 months of use the one in the back wheel still looks absolutely fine. I find them pretty easy to install, but you need a good tyre lever to the the tyre off again.

ETA - the definitely absorb some sealant, so you might need to use a bit more than normal.

Posted: Jun 24, 2021 at 7:08 Quote
Cushcore is much better than Tannus but more expensive too from a performance perspective. Tannus unfortunately doesn't offer anywhere near the same level of sidewall support and feel of Cushcore but what Tannus does well and was designed for is stopping flats and punctures, for that it performs very well. They both have different goals, Tannus mainly being puncture resistance and bottom out prevention, and Cushcore bottom out prevention and ability to run lower pressures with increased sidewall support.

Or stick some Michellin DH22 or 34's on your bike and you don't need to use any inserts at all whilst having ridiculous amounts of grip and better sidewall slash resistance.

Posted: Jun 24, 2021 at 7:22 Quote
militantmandy wrote:
8tom8 wrote:
justwan-naride wrote:

I've had good results with Rimpact also. After 6 months of use the one in the back wheel still looks absolutely fine. I find them pretty easy to install, but you need a good tyre lever to the the tyre off again.

ETA - the definitely absorb some sealant, so you might need to use a bit more than normal.
umm yes i’m actually planning riding fortwillam on my hardtail this summer and some of the stuff i ride is about as rough

Posted: Jun 24, 2021 at 7:27 Quote
8tom8 wrote:
militantmandy wrote:
8tom8 wrote:

umm yes i’m actually planning riding fortwillam on my hardtail this summer and some of the stuff i ride is about as rough

Ah, makes sense then! Last time I rode Ft Bill I got away with high 20s, but that was on a 170mm travel full suss and DH casing tyres. Will be pretty exciting on a hardtail!

Posted: Jun 24, 2021 at 10:22 Quote
militantmandy wrote:
8tom8 wrote:
militantmandy wrote:

Ah, makes sense then! Last time I rode Ft Bill I got away with high 20s, but that was on a 170mm travel full suss and DH casing tyres. Will be pretty exciting on a hardtail!
umm exciting?

Posted: Jun 25, 2021 at 0:22 Quote
8tom8 wrote:
militantmandy wrote:
8tom8 wrote:

umm exciting?

ummmmmm....yes, riding the extremely fast and rough world cup track on a hardtail is likely to be both challenging and pretty exciting. Wouldn't you agree?

Posted: Jun 25, 2021 at 7:23 Quote
militantmandy wrote:
8tom8 wrote:
militantmandy wrote:

umm exciting?

ummmmmm....yes, riding the extremely fast and rough world cup track on a hardtail is likely to be both challenging and pretty exciting. Wouldn't you agree?
castration isn’t exciting at all

Posted: Jun 25, 2021 at 18:47 Quote
I have standard Cush Core. They work very well and I haven't had any issues from the time I installed them last October. Installation took a little while but if you use the correct methods it's not too bad. I haven't changed the sealant since and I still have lots of splashing in the tire meaning the insert hasn't sucked up any sealant. They do make your wheels a little heavier but it's barely noticeable and doesn't have any effect when climbing or make the bike sluggish. Pretty much all positives after they're installed.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.005895
Mobile Version of Website