2011 Demo 8 Help Needed

PB Forum :: Downhill
2011 Demo 8 Help Needed
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jun 20, 2021 at 19:25 Quote
So I sent my Fox DHX RC4 from my 2011 Demo 8 to Fox for a spruce up, they told my she was smoked and mailed it back. I have been trying to find a new shock that fits in the shock extension/yoke but on the other shocks I have the rebound knob near the eyelet doesn’t clear the yoke. The RC4 has an extended knob but I can’t find any new shocks that look like they will fit and the used RC4s don’t have the extended knob. I modded an old Marzocchi I had but need a legit shock and I’m too sketched out to mod/shave the yoke. What are people doing to keep the older Demo 8s going with the weird shock fitment? I am waiting to hear from Specialized to see if there are any good ideas from their side of the house or old yokes laying around I can try modding. Any advice? I have pictures if my description is weak.

Posted: Jun 21, 2021 at 9:31 Quote
ReconMaine wrote:
So I sent my Fox DHX RC4 from my 2011 Demo 8 to Fox for a spruce up, they told my she was smoked and mailed it back. I have been trying to find a new shock that fits in the shock extension/yoke but on the other shocks I have the rebound knob near the eyelet doesn’t clear the yoke. The RC4 has an extended knob but I can’t find any new shocks that look like they will fit and the used RC4s don’t have the extended knob. I modded an old Marzocchi I had but need a legit shock and I’m too sketched out to mod/shave the yoke. What are people doing to keep the older Demo 8s going with the weird shock fitment? I am waiting to hear from Specialized to see if there are any good ideas from their side of the house or old yokes laying around I can try modding. Any advice? I have pictures if my description is weak.

Call up Craig at Avalanche and see if he can help you out.

http://www.avalanchedownhillracing.com/

Posted: Jun 21, 2021 at 14:46 Quote
Hey awesome, I will reach out!

Posted: Jun 23, 2021 at 17:56 Quote
Yeah I ended up coming up with the easiest solution in the world, but a little nerve racking! Any 2011-2015 Demo 8 owners should keep this as a backup plan if they run into the same thing. I had bought a Bomber CR shock in 9.5x3 and the Rebound knob blocked it from sliding into the shock extension. So I used a dremel to cut off the rebound knob so it’s just a tube with no dial, ground the end flat and then cut a slit in the end so you can turn the dial with a flat head screw driver! It was sketchy feeling to take a dremel to a brand new rear shock (I know the CR is cheaper and basic, but still) but it came out awesome and I am up and shredding. I am so unbelievably pumped to have my bike up and running! I ride a single speed 2011 Demo 8 and just needed a new (basic) shock so I can go send it. I set it up with a 500 spring and rowdy rebound and go launch it. I have now built 4 DH bikes from all used parts and have about 1500 or so into this Demo and it’s the most fun on two wheels!

Posted: Jun 23, 2021 at 18:05 Quote
. The outdoors shot is with the old Marzocchi Roco I ghetto rigged until I got the new unit sliced down but it made it for two hard rides so I have a backup shock.

Posted: Jun 23, 2021 at 18:28 Quote
That’s awesome! I ran a CR on my Kona Operator, I thought it was pretty good regardless of price.

Posted: Jun 24, 2021 at 7:26 Quote
Hey does anyone know what kind of bottom bracket I can use on my 2011 demo 8? the old pf30 threaded cups are out of tolerance and am looking for a nicer bb

Posted: Jun 24, 2021 at 14:26 Quote
Hey man, don’t know what cranks you use but I have loved the Truative Howitzer Team BBs. On the 11 Demo 8. You can get them for 60-70 bucks and rip it. That’s what is on the above Demo 8.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.007622
Mobile Version of Website