Fix slipping seatpost with jb weld?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Fix slipping seatpost with jb weld?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jun 22, 2021 at 9:33 Quote
I have a titanium frame and the seatpost is a little ovalized, so it's less than 31.6mm on the sides and over 31.6mm front and back. I don't have the tools to measure more accurately. When I put a seatclamp on, when it is slightly torqued it's enough for the tube to be round, and my seatpost slides in easily. Too easily, once the tube is "round" there is too much slack. I have tried different types of clamps, and I can slow the slippage, but after a couple of miles, the post has already dropped enough for me to notice I am not at my preferred height.

I have tried a partial coke can shim, and fiber paste as well.

So I was thinking about 3d printing a seat post at 31.6mm, lather it up with jb weld, and stick it in the tube while there is a bit of torque on the clamp so it's round. Then after curing, use heat to melt out the printed sea tube.

It's either that, or I try and figure out how to cold set the tube to be more round, but I figure it would still slip since it's already too big.

Background
I got this frame from a Chinese builder, and have purchased from them before, but their quality has dropped significantly, and they haven't shown any concern to fix the issue.

Posted: Jun 22, 2021 at 17:05 Quote
The heat required to melt the 3D park would damage the bond of jb weld to the frame. The best solution I have is to buy a cane creek seatpost shim (27.2 to 31.6) and glue it in with a large gap loctite like 660 or maybe 3090. Then run a 27.2 post.

Posted: Jun 24, 2021 at 15:05 Quote
Just put some tape on the post a little lower than the clamp. Should add a bit to the diameter & add a bit more friction to keep it from moving.

Posted: Jun 24, 2021 at 15:16 Quote
eshew wrote:
Just put some tape on the post a little lower than the clamp. Should add a bit to the diameter & add a bit more friction to keep it from moving.

Something like this will work.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.005206
Mobile Version of Website