2022 Epic Evo

PB Forum :: Specialized
2022 Epic Evo
Author Message
Posted: Jan 2, 2022 at 12:37 Quote
Simann wrote:
Cantle406 wrote:
Simann wrote:


Ive seen the SJ Evo Pro in the same sand color, its badass!

the biggest thing holding me back from it is I’m a nut and prefer mechanical to AXS haha

I was in the same boat until I just tried it for a few days on a demo bike. At first it took some getting used to, the shifter paddle had basically zero throw, so there was a loss of "sensation." But what sold me was the incredible performance increase and less cruching during shifting. No matter how good you've set up your B-tension, limits and cable tension, you could never get it just right. WIth AXS, it was instantly perceptible that every shift was exactly right, every time. This will help save the life of the cassette and the chain, no doubt.

AXS is superior to mechanical in every way. You use a lot more muscle and movement having to press in the shift lever on a mechanical shifter, and that takes energy away from you steering. AXS is less strain on your hand and digits when riding, something you don't notice until you go back to mechanical shifting.

AXS has an overload clutch, so the derailleur moves out of the way if whacked hard by a rock, automatically repositioning right back where it was before it was struck. Genius, and its worked for me already.

AXS has perfect shifts, ever damn time. You can program it to skip 3 gears at a time, a serious benefit when coming in fast to a short and steep climb, hold down the paddle and your in a much easier gear instantly. No pushing the lever in and feeling your derailleur slowly grind that chain into a larger cog.

AXS derailleur battery lasts up to 30 hours per charge. And charging takes less than an hour from zero to full. I usually just charge mine in the truck on the way to the trail. I also keep a spare fully charged with me. They weigh nothing and take up zero space in a hip pack or SWAT box. And the AXS controller (shifter) uses a CR2032 battery, ubiquitous and lasts for over a year. Those cost nothing and take up no space at all.

All legit points - and I agree. I’ve had an AXS bike for a couple years now. I just don’t have a strong religion, and find myself not as hot to trot on the bike for some reason with it vs. non.

anyway, back on track, these epics are sweet and make me want to find a cheap NX spec version and swap my Epic HT components over to it, since I already have some of XC Roval wheels, PM, etc.

Posted: Jan 15, 2022 at 9:30 Quote
Anyone weigh their frame and rear shock? Cant find frame + shock weight online.

Posted: Jan 15, 2022 at 9:46 Quote
protocol-droid wrote:
Anyone weigh their frame and rear shock? Cant find frame + shock weight online.

Ridiculously light. That's all you need to know. Razz

Posted: Jan 15, 2022 at 10:18 Quote
Simann wrote:
protocol-droid wrote:
Anyone weigh their frame and rear shock? Cant find frame + shock weight online.

Ridiculously light. That's all you need to know. Razz

Im a weight weenie. I need to know.

Posted: Jan 15, 2022 at 10:39 Quote
https://www.pinkbike.com/news/specialized-epic-evo-review-s-works-2020.html#:~:text=Why%3F,weight%20of%20just%201%2C659%2Dgrams.

1,659-grams in size Large

Fox Float DPS in 190x45 (EE has a 40mm stroke with spacer) 275 grams
https://www.theproscloset.com/products/2019-fox-factory-series-float-dps-rear-shock-190-x-45

Total = 1934 grams

Posted: Jan 16, 2022 at 19:46 Quote
protocol-droid wrote:
Anyone weigh their frame and rear shock? Cant find frame + shock weight online.

Mine in large is 1880g


Posted: Jan 16, 2022 at 19:51 Quote
You are missing the seat post collar, and what about headset lower cup?. Thats probably 30-50 grams so yeah, around 1900 grams with shock...

Posted: Jan 17, 2022 at 12:16 Quote
Since we are really counting grams here I used my finer scale. The feedback scale rounds up.

13g for the seat post collar
42g for the Cane Creek AER headset (Top/bottom bearings and dust seal) no crown race
1920g w/ collar+headset
1952g w/ the rear thru-axle

Posted: Jan 17, 2022 at 15:24 Quote
I ended up finding a L NX build in the cement gray at a local shop… planning to swap all the stuff of my M epic HT onto this thing, and swap the fork/shock to something fox flavor.

I’m forever in the can ride a M or a L camp, and went L this go ‘round to a bit of a marathon/trail style bike… and all these weights being tossed around make me feel good about that. One thing I don’t like is the high seat tube, but I can still fit a Oneup 150mm dropper in there, so no huge deal.

I’ll post up one I make some progress on it.

Posted: Jan 18, 2022 at 3:00 Quote
Cantle406 wrote:
. One thing I don’t like is the high seat tube, but I can still fit a Oneup 150mm dropper in there, so no huge deal.
.

Currently running a 160 BikeYoke on my XL, could easilty run a 185, but no need. 190cm, shortish legs. Agree the tube could be shorter, but for tall people the low seat tube can become a challenge if they go too low. A mate can barely fit a 210 dropper to his Transition XL. I'd be nervous with that little seatpost in the tube.
He could probably run a 250 or more D

Posted: Jan 18, 2022 at 7:47 Quote
knutspeed wrote:
Cantle406 wrote:
. One thing I don’t like is the high seat tube, but I can still fit a Oneup 150mm dropper in there, so no huge deal.
.

Currently running a 160 BikeYoke on my XL, could easilty run a 185, but no need. 190cm, shortish legs. Agree the tube could be shorter, but for tall people the low seat tube can become a challenge if they go too low. A mate can barely fit a 210 dropper to his Transition XL. I'd be nervous with that little seatpost in the tube.
He could probably run a 250 or more D

Hah, fair point. I just wish I could fit a 160 bike yoke. I’m literally right on the line by my math, not including the cable mechanism. 176 cm for me, shortish legs too... maybe I should just try it? Given seat tube insertion + collar to saddle rail measurement, I'm a little worried the mechanism will hit.

Posted: Jan 18, 2022 at 14:07 Quote
Cantle406 wrote:
I’m literally right on the line by my math, not including the cable mechanism. 176 cm for me, shortish legs too... maybe I should just try it? Given seat tube insertion + collar to saddle rail measurement, I'm a little worried the mechanism will hit.

Would be so much easier if we could just have a look at a bike in a shop, or attend a demo day, like the old days Smile

I am also curious if it would be possible to trim the seat tube a bit on the EE. Might be worthwile asking Spec support if chopping off 10-20mm would be an issue. I know a few people who did this on the previous gen Stumpjumper without problems.

Posted: Jan 21, 2022 at 10:39 Quote
Anyone happen to be running the new 2022 34 step cast?

I just ordered an S Works frame and was planning on picking one up with it. Figured if I’m going light, might as well go all in on this build.

But I could always lower my non SC 34 (the new Grip2 version I’m running on another frame) to 120mm.

Looks like specialized is speccing the standard 34 on their builds but I’m not sure if that’s because of lack of availability of the Stepcast version.

Posted: Jan 21, 2022 at 15:52 Quote
jon123rjk wrote:
Anyone happen to be running the new 2022 34 step cast?

I just ordered an S Works frame and was planning on picking one up with it. Figured if I’m going light, might as well go all in on this build.

But I could always lower my non SC 34 (the new Grip2 version I’m running on another frame) to 120mm.

Looks like specialized is speccing the standard 34 on their builds but I’m not sure if that’s because of lack of availability of the Stepcast version.

My brother is running a 22' SC 34 on his Mach 4 SL. Super light, super rigid, much stiffer chassis than the previous generation SC.


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010398
Mobile Version of Website