Sidewall leaks sealant

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Sidewall leaks sealant
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Jun 23, 2021 at 5:56 Quote
I notice that newer Maxxis tires leak sealant through the sidewalls. It started right after mounting and gets worse over time. They are holding air quite well but the whole sidewall is sticky and attrackts dirt. It's worse with 29'ers compared to 27,5. I never had this issue with older (non WT) tires from Maxxis which are still doing fine after long use.

- Did Maxxis make changes to the sidewalls recently?
- Do the WT sidewalls differ from non WT?
- Is it only Exo casing? I.e. is it less with Exo+
- I use Stans sealant. Is it sealant dependable?
- DO other brands have the same issue?
- Solutions? Advice?

Best regards,
Dennis

Posted: Jun 23, 2021 at 7:09 Quote
Hey,

I've never had Maxxis tires leak through the sidewalls, though I have seen it on a set of Surly tires. Seemed to be worst right after I set them up and it quit quickly. I use MuckOff Sealant.

I suspect it'd be better with the heavier duty casings, but even on some EXO tires I'm using now it's not doing it.

What kind of pressures are you running?

O+
Posted: Jun 23, 2021 at 8:15 Quote
I run Maxxis WT and this has always been the case. Like you said, tires are holding air well so I don’t worry about it and it’s a minuscule amount.

My kids bike has some Vee Tire co. plus sized tires and they weep out the sidewalls like crazy, but also seal up nice. I don’t think there’s any solution or need for one. I doubt a doubledown casing weeps but there’s an obvious penalty for that.

Posted: Jun 23, 2021 at 12:25 Quote
It has happened to all of my Maxxis tires with Stans sealant. Pinholes from rim strikes.

If you are feeling crafty & have some time to burn I've had decent success doing the following

Get some black RTV, take the tire off & clean the interior. Get a rubber glove on & smear the RTV around the inside of the tire where the rims strikes are happening. Let cure, remount & add sealant.

It takes a week or two for the sealant in the casing to weep out & then it's much better.

I've also heard that certain sealants like Stans are more prone to weep through the sidewall. Orange sealant does it less often, Exo+ I would guess would tend to do it less due to the thicker sidewall.

O+
Posted: Jun 24, 2021 at 12:32 Quote
Thx for the tips. I agree that there is not really a need for a solution but it doesn't look that nice. I run 20-23 psi (I am 72kg so not that heavy. I'll try another brand sealant to see if it is less.

O+
Posted: Jun 28, 2021 at 7:12 Quote
I had this happen with Contis several years ago. I assumed it was some issue with the rubber mix.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.009462
Mobile Version of Website