MTB Tech Rumors, Innovation and Prototypes

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
MTB Tech Rumors, Innovation and Prototypes
| Next Page
Posted: Aug 10, 2022 at 22:29 Quote
PHeller wrote:
Remember the last Polygon developed a very unique suspension design?

Marin remembers.

lol

Was that Polygon's development? I thought it was a independent dude who sold it to both of them.

Posted: Aug 11, 2022 at 4:07 Quote
NorCalNomad wrote:
PHeller wrote:
Remember the last Polygon developed a very unique suspension design?

Marin remembers.

lol

Was that Polygon's development? I thought it was a independent dude who sold it to both of them.

Yes exactly. It was developed by an engineering firm called "Naild" and licensed to Marin and later Polygon (who to my knowledge manufactures Marin bikes). Same situation as with the suspension on the current-gen Specialized Demo and Enduro. Both were developed by Denk Engineering for Specialized.

Posted: Aug 14, 2022 at 17:41 Quote
Saw Amy Morrison in a liftline at Northstar and she was on a bike from polygon that looked very similar but with a single crown, it was also camo wrapped.

Posted: Aug 22, 2022 at 14:45 Quote

New Suntour RUX 29.

After 2 years of only showing up on the bikes of sponsored pro riders, they finally have it up on their homepage so I assume it's going to be available soon.

Could be a very interesting option because of the significantly lower price compared to the competition, but also because of Suntours' slightly different approach to damping.

IMO Suntour forks and shocks are underrated and deserve more time in the spotlight, as they can be an awesome alternative to Fox and RS for riders on a budget. I especially like that Suntour focuses on reliability and DIY-friendliness a bit more than other brands.

Posted: Aug 23, 2022 at 2:54 Quote
Wouldn't have an issue running suntour's premium stuff, but it's difficult to get outside of OEM and you can usually pick up a RS or Fox on discount for similar prices

Posted: Aug 24, 2022 at 1:02 Quote
melonhead1145 wrote:
Wouldn't have an issue running suntour's premium stuff, but it's difficult to get outside of OEM and you can usually pick up a RS or Fox on discount for similar prices

They've got a decent online shop. I had an Auron fork on my old Meta TR and was pretty happy with the performance. I'd be willing to give the new 38mm Durolux a try.

The new ZEB Ultimate is a bit too expensive for my budget rn, so the Durolux could fit the bill. Great thing about the Durolux is that it's one of the few forks that have a bleed port to vent excess pressure from the lowers. The ports could also be used for sort of a lazy-mans' lower leg service.

Posted: Aug 24, 2022 at 1:19 Quote
Guys I've got it on good authority that the new Trek Fuel EX will be released in the next couple of days. My buddy (bike shop owner) told me that he took delivery of the new bikes this week.

Apparently the new Fuel EX will have a Minolink flip chip and then also some sort of adjustable headset that can be set to steep, neutral and slack. Really cool, I like adjustability.

It's also going to be available in 7 (!) different sizes, with reach numbers ranging from 400mm to a massive 550mm. Looks really promising, there should be a size for everyone.

My friend didn't give me any details, but he says that the rest of the geometry is going to be pretty much in line with the competition (think Canyon Spectral, Norco Optic, Specialized Stumpjumper, Santa Cruz Tallboy). No surprises apparently, pretty much what you'd expect from a Trail Bike in 2022.

Unfortunately, no info on pricing yet. But looking at Trek's current line-up I suspect it to be starting at 2.700€ - 3.000€ for the alloy version and ~4.500€ for the carbon version.

Posted: Aug 24, 2022 at 1:27 Quote
I already have a preorder in for the "8" variant but considering changing to a 9.7 or 9.8

Posted: Aug 24, 2022 at 7:00 Quote
HeatedRotor wrote:
I already have a preorder in for the "8" variant but considering changing to a 9.7 or 9.8

That would be well equipped alloy vs. entry level carbon, no?

Personally I don't see the point of a carbon frame on something that isn't an XC bike. On a trail or enduro bike, I'd always go for the alloy version. Usually the "8"-build kit on most Trek bikes is pretty good value.

Posted: Aug 24, 2022 at 10:38 Quote
Shame that the new Fuel EX looks so bad.

Carbon on enduros and trail bikes is awesome since you can apply the weight savings to other parts that actually make the down more fun and easier to pedal up

Posted: Aug 24, 2022 at 11:18 Quote
Muscovir wrote:
HeatedRotor wrote:

That would be well equipped alloy vs. entry level carbon, no?

Personally I don't see the point of a carbon frame on something that isn't an XC bike. On a trail or enduro bike, I'd always go for the alloy version. Usually the "8"-build kit on most Trek bikes is pretty good value.

8 is semi equiped alloy, kinda like a fox 36 performance/gx. the 9.7 is similar except carbon but a few downgrades
9.8 is usally XT, carbon wheel, bars and similar suspension to an 8 alloy.

the 9.9's are usally full blown factory but treks been a bit weird over last few years between diff bike models vs spec.

carbon just for XC? hell nah, i bent 2 of the 2021 alloy slash 8's. I switched to full carbon bikes back mid-late 2021 and have no regrets. super stiff and direct and can actually be fixed if you break it(i havnt)

Posted: Aug 27, 2022 at 1:20 Quote

BMC seems to be working on a new version of their Fourstroke XC race bike. The frame looks pretty much production ready.

Some observations:

-Exchangeable shock mounts (so the frame is most likely meant to pull double duty as a trail bike aswell)

-Cable routing through dedicated ports in the downtube, not through the headset (yay!)

-Rear suspension linkage now runs a yoke, which is unfortunate, but shouldn't be a huge problem with such a short yoke and shock

-It still features BMCs' proprietary, fully-integrated elliptical dropper post (Not sure how I feel about this one. Seems like just one more thing to possibly go wrong, especially since it works via a pneumatic cylinder and not a coil spring like other XC dropper posts. I prefer not to run a dropper post at all on my XC bikes and I'm not sure that would be possible on this frame)

-Fully triangulated rear swing arm, should help with stiffness under heavy acceleration

Posted: Aug 27, 2022 at 18:08 Quote
I'd bet the changeable shock mount will disappear with production. That's a fair bit of weight that does nothing for performance and no way for their XC race bike they're worry about making it a trail bike,

Posted: Aug 29, 2022 at 7:09 Quote
saw a kmc ad on the mainpage with a six bar (maybe) polygon dh bike.

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.007174
Mobile Version of Website