Any eMTBs that would make a good jump bike?

PB Forum :: eMTB
Any eMTBs that would make a good jump bike?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jun 23, 2021 at 13:44 Quote
I used to commute on DIY ebikes pre-parenthood and loved it. Got into MTB in 2015 and I've been riding Transition Scouts since 2016 and have totally ignored ebikes. Spend most of my time on gravel roads and jump trails (getting old fast, need air time before it's too risky). Boy it would be nice to get more laps in. Are there any ebikes out there that would make a good jump bike?

My Googling seems to turn up 29ers with long chainstays and it seems with better motors come expensive components (that I feel are more a liability in a crash).

Posted: Jun 23, 2021 at 14:00 Quote
Mixed wheel is all the rage right now for eMTB's. 27.5 is not popular amongst them whatsoever. Look into Santa Cruz Bullit or Marin Alpine Trail for some MX wheel eMTB's that are proven on the decents and the big stuff.

To my knowledge, the Rocky Mountain Altitude Powerplay is the only 27.5 F&R eMTB on the mainstream market right now.

Posted: Jun 24, 2021 at 3:10 Quote
2019 - 2020 Norco sight vlt 27.5.... I will give this ebbs a plug - had one for just on two years..... giving it an eeebs it holds reliable - its nature abilities seeks for popping trail features - launches jumps - while holding balanced stable....

This bike comes as a four bar suspension platform alike the transition scout - suspension travel 150mm out back 160mm up front - 440 cs - 66 ha....

It is nursing a 630w battery and shimano 8000 motor - not a scout - but then may give to some of the characteristics as far as eeebs go.... checkout loam wolfs ebike challenge l think a year back or so - it took out top spot.

Posted: Jun 24, 2021 at 18:09 Quote
Check out the yamaha YDX Moro, bought one for my wife and it jumps just as good or better than my trek remedy

Posted: Jun 28, 2021 at 2:53 Quote
My Specialized turbo kenevo is 27.5 with 180 mm of travel front and rear. It’s a confidence inspiring bike to say the least.

Posted: Jul 2, 2021 at 7:44 Quote
Thanks folks. It's kind of a bummer the geos on all these are last generation... 75 deg seat angles and 66 HA. I demoed a handful of bikes pre-COVID and remember liking the steeper seat angle bikes quite a bit more. Guess the more traditional geo is "safer" from a sales perspective.

I'm in Hood River for a couple weeks and Fat Tire Farm has the Specialized Kenevo for demo and Discover Bikes has the Norco Sight.

Posted: Jul 2, 2021 at 7:46 Quote
Oh yeah, one other thing: why the heck are the droppers so short? The Norco comes with a 125mm dropper in size medium. Have we time warped back to 2015 or are the seat tubes just too short?

I'm running a 210mm dropper and would be using it in a medium Scout (if I didn't end up with large due to availability).

EDIT: At least the Specialized Turbo Levo seems to accept a long dropper in the frame
EDIT2: So far based on going through the Loam Wolf list of ebikes and then some others, the following bikes don't have five year old geos:
Nukeproof Megawatt (Mullet) [note this one gets a lot of hate for routing cables through the headset, which I think the Norco does as well]
Polygon Bromo (29er)
Rotwild E375 (29er)
Vitus e-Sommet (mullet)
Commencal Meta Power 29 (29er)
Marin Alpine E2 (which sounds a lot like TR's new Patrol https://geometrygeeks.bike/compare/transition-scout-2020-md,marin-alpine-trail-e2-2021-m,transition-patrol-2021-md-high,transition-scout-2018-lg,transition-scout-2020-lg,marin-alpine-trail-e2-2021-l,transition-patrol-2021-lg-low,transition-patrol-2021-lg-high/)
Niner rip e9
Orbea rise - HA still too steep but not terrible
Propain Ekano - geo a bit old school but can be 27.5, 29er, or mullet

Posted: Jul 12, 2021 at 10:32 Quote
I rented the Norco. It felt really heavy, but I adjusted to that after an hour, mostly, except loading it in the van. Definitely had trouble throwing it around while jumping.

Loved the Shimano drive, but not a big fan of the bike. Maybe it was the suspension setup, but I had a real hard time popping it off things. The slack seat angle plus the assist meant the front wheel kept lifting up. The stupid short dropper I ended up slamming since I didn't need perfect leg extensions for the climbs anymore. The cockpit somehow didn't feel quite right. I did not like the Guide brakes. Stopping power wasn't great but mostly there was too much throw before they engaged and I didn't see any way to adjust that. I'm using Formula Cura brakes on my bike which aren't super powerful but feel very linear and start to engage right away.

I used turbo mode all of twice, both times to try climbing moto trails (one fail, one success). I used up two bars (of five) of battery on my longer 3 hour day, and just one bar the next day. This makes me think this system is oversized, at least for me.

I rode a Levo SL for fifteen minutes and the drive felt really jerky at low speed but the bike felt wayyyyy better otherwise. Even though it's a 29er and geo is about the same. Owner told me it was 42 pounds. We rode together and he didn't have any power or battery life issues on the same ride.

I'm curious to try the Marin Alpine E2 (same familiar geo, but heavy) and the Orbea Rise (slightly more conservative geo, but only 38lbs).

This bike was great for filming solo though. Second day I carried all my camera gear no problem. I filmed the whole Middle School jump line and to do that on an analog bike you generally have to lap the line for each shot, since it's too flat to get up to speed just by pedaling. Not with the assist though...

Posted: Jul 12, 2021 at 13:44 Quote
You might look into the Santa Cruz Heckler as it comes in a 27.5 front & rear option. Ben Cathro has one and has rode and commented on it a good bit in some of his youtube videos; he seems to like it.

Posted: Jul 18, 2021 at 7:47 Quote
The new spec kenevo sl is the only one really. The Levo sl is fine but the carbon is pretty light and not for big jumps.

A full size ebike isn’t something id buy until maybe my 60s.

Posted: Jul 20, 2021 at 6:31 Quote
Orbea Rise has balanced geometry, mid-travel suspension, and weighs about 40 lbs. I like jumping on it better than my Jeffsy 29.

Posted: Jul 27, 2021 at 10:44 Quote
Marcencinitas wrote:
Orbea Rise has balanced geometry, mid-travel suspension, and weighs about 40 lbs. I like jumping on it better than my Jeffsy 29.

The Rise seems like the best option... head angle steeper than the Scout and BB is lower IIRC. Hopefully there will be new models in this vein in the next few years. About a six hour drive to the nearest Orbea demo location Frown

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.005889
Mobile Version of Website