All my buddies went ebike route

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
All my buddies went ebike route
Posted: Jun 27, 2021 at 10:49 Quote
DonLopez wrote:
I still think anywhere these mopeds can go, a gas or electric powered motorcycle should be able to go. Bikes with pedals don’t need motors, and bikes with motors don’t need pedals.

whos using a moped? wrong forum mate.

Posted: Jun 27, 2021 at 12:54 Quote
adespotoskyli wrote:
actually some of the boys with the ebikes always carry pulling cords just in case someone becomes lazy af.

I can't decide if that's hilarious or ingenious or something in between. Best of both worlds if you're not on one lol

Posted: Jun 27, 2021 at 13:51 Quote
Well having fun is the no1 cause, descending with the whole pack is preferable, the slow guys up, are the most fun the way down...

Posted: Jun 27, 2021 at 14:22 Quote
mtbtrekracer wrote:
Pyres wrote:
As title shows, my riding buddies bought ebikes and I m alone with my Sentinel. Our spot has around 15 trails, easier to harder and we have to climb to all of it. I can see the benefits of it, but as we are mid forties and healthy I see no reason to switch, they are doing maybe 10 trails per ride, as me on a good day ( fit) I can do 4 or 5 trails and I m done and happy for the week.
No intention to trash ebikes, I ride for more than 15 years, seen all mountain, 26, enduro, 27.5, 29 and now mullet, so evolution is a good thing, but riding alone for the past couple of months, I realized: ebikes are the most expensive stupid thing it could happen to mtb in general!

so, let me get this right, its stupid to you because its too expensive? Mtb is about having fun, the fitness comes as part of it, so now they are having far more fun than you and able to do more laps in less time and your upset about it?

you're mid forties... act like it, either jump on the ebike band wagon or continue to do what YOU love, no need to make a post on the internet about it.
Its quite obvious, OP is angry on mopeds because he lost his buddies because of this. I think its time for OP to try find some new buddies. There are plenty non-moped riders still out there ...

Posted: Jun 27, 2021 at 14:36 Quote
onyxss wrote:
Its quite obvious, OP is angry on mopeds because he lost his buddies because of this. I think its time for OP to try find some new buddies. There are plenty non-moped riders still out there ...

Whats a moped again? Pretty sure those have throttles and no pedals/gear's/battery.
as Proven many times, An Ebike rider wants to enjoy MTB and will 99% ride their ebike more times and for longer than a std bike.
Do i have an ebike? No, Can i afford one? Yes. Why dont I own one? Used to, but missed that feeling of a normal bike and transportation was a factor in selling.

Also i see alot of ebikers biking to the trails, seeing as many are about fitness why do they drive there???

Mountain biking is ment to be fun, Fitness people take it far too seriously. if a small electric motor assisted bike helps people enjoy mtb and have more fun and not fussed about fitness, then all power to them.
They worked hard to be able to afford it, so why not?

Posted: Jun 27, 2021 at 14:52 Quote
This is getting out of hand, this is not about why mopeds yes or why not, its a lost buddies topic. If u want to debate yes and no's theres an specific topic above Fat bikes regarding that.

P.s. almost every moped around here i saw had unlocked limits and people on them are going with like cadence 2 into 30% gradient or going 40+km/h on flat with the same cadence 2 and seat lowered fully down. Pedal turning is clearly there just that they not get bored on the way Smile

Posted: Jun 27, 2021 at 15:13 Quote
onyxss wrote:
This is getting out of hand, this is not about why mopeds yes or why not, its a lost buddies topic. If u want to debate yes and no's theres an specific topic above Fat bikes regarding that.

P.s. almost every moped around here i saw had unlocked limits and people on them are going with like cadence 2 into 30% gradient or going 40+km/h on flat with the same cadence 2 and seat lowered fully down. Pedal turning is clearly there just that they not get bored on the way Smile

still, wheres the moped and what even is a moped and how are they related to an electric pedal assisted bike?

Posted: Jun 27, 2021 at 19:54 Quote
MOPED by definition is a bicycle with MOtor and PEDals. Doesn’t matter whether it is gas or electric or throttle or pedal assist. They are motorized vehicles. I should be able to ride a KTM E-Ride anywhere mopeds are allowed. And I wouldn’t have to worry about pedal strikes!

Posted: Jun 27, 2021 at 21:00 Quote
DonLopez wrote:
MOPED by definition is a bicycle with MOtor and PEDals. Doesn’t matter whether it is gas or electric or throttle or pedal assist. They are motorized vehicles. I should be able to ride a KTM E-Ride anywhere mopeds are allowed. And I wouldn’t have to worry about pedal strikes!

everyone keeps missing the throttle/motorcycle engine part of the whole moped thing... muppets..
there is some serious arrogance against ebikes its seriously shocking the dumbness people post about them

Posted: Jun 27, 2021 at 21:15 Quote
mcharza wrote:
DonLopez wrote:
I still think anywhere these mopeds can go, a gas or electric powered motorcycle should be able to go. Bikes with pedals don’t need motors, and bikes with motors don’t need pedals.

That’s your opinion, I don’t think the gas powered belong in the nature.

E-mtb is a good thing for the older age group who can no longer pedal up to the hills or have some disability that makes it difficult.
They can continue to enjoy mountain biking

Dude, I'm almost 63, and I've had 14 knee surgeries, 9 on my feet and ankles, 2 of which were in the last 9 months. I don't drive and I live 14 miles from the closest trails, so most of my rides wind up being at least 40 miles or longer. Being older doesn't have anything to do with being unable to ride. Right now I'm still in a walking boot with a six inch long incision that's not healed all the way. As soon as the doctor gives me the all clear to ride I will start back at it. It's going to be pretty hard to get back up to speed, but I'll just start going on longer and longer rides and work at my pace. I know I can do it, and I also know that doing so will be an integral part of getting better. I don't ever recall a doctor telling me I needed a motorized bike to recover and I'm sure if I asked the answer would be a resounding no. Working hard is what puts you back on your feet. Deciding you can't do it anymore is a shortcut to an early grave in my book. If you are so crippled that you can't pedal at all then you won't be able to ride an ebike anyway, and if you can that's what you ought to be doing if you want to have a long healthy life.

O+ FL
Posted: Jun 27, 2021 at 21:42 Quote
mtbtrekracer wrote:
DonLopez wrote:

everyone keeps missing the throttle/motorcycle engine part of the whole moped thing... muppets..
there is some serious arrogance against ebikes its seriously shocking the dumbness people post about them

Don't feed it, it's pointless.

Posted: Jun 27, 2021 at 21:53 Quote
Seeing what distances and at what pace you can cover in a short time and after seeing the data, I can assure you, you can actually get as much excersise and intensity on an ebike as on a regular bike, you just go faster, it doesn't get easier, ok when the guys ride with the pack of course their avg hr is quite lower compared with the rest, but they can always do an extra shuttle with the pace that keeps your hr in zone 3, you can train as hard as you like with the ebike no prob. The guys I ride with ride longer and harder with their ebikes, averaging more calories per ride than me, some times they do a few laps before we meet up, or after we are done, more time on the saddle more fun. It all depends on the rider.

Posted: Jun 27, 2021 at 22:14 Quote
adespotoskyli wrote:
Seeing what distances and at what pace you can cover in a short time and after seeing the data, I can assure you, you can actually get as much excersise and intensity on an ebike as on a regular bike, you just go faster, it doesn't get easier, ok when the guys ride with the pack of course their avg hr is quite lower compared with the rest, but they can always do an extra shuttle with the pace that keeps your hr in zone 3, you can train as hard as you like with the ebike no prob. The guys I ride with ride longer and harder with their ebikes, averaging more calories per ride than me, some times they do a few laps before we meet up, or after we are done, more time on the saddle more fun. It all depends on the rider.
Agreed, depends on rider a lot. As posted above - here around there is maybe 1 of 10 riders who ride like this. Other 9 are just using full-assist on unlocked motors trying to do as little as possible on their "exercise" Smile Probably because "everybody does it like this now" or "you are 35+ old, thats how you older people do it these days" - These are words from local LBS seller. And they are selling a looot Smile

Admins, move this moped forum as its getting out of hand...

Posted: Jun 28, 2021 at 0:22 Quote
onyxss wrote:
This is getting out of hand, this is not about why mopeds yes or why not, its a lost buddies topic)

Exactly
I ll try to embrace the solo riding

Posted: Jun 28, 2021 at 1:22 Quote
Pyres wrote:
onyxss wrote:
This is getting out of hand, this is not about why mopeds yes or why not, its a lost buddies topic)

Exactly
I ll try to embrace the solo riding

No surprises there. Every thread I've read that even mentions the word 'e-bike' ends up in the same old argument whether it's relevant to the subject or not.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010293
Mobile Version of Website