Whats the worst case running 220mm rotors in the rear.

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Whats the worst case running 220mm rotors in the rear.
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jun 28, 2021 at 19:55 Quote
I have a Norco shore, Norco says 203mm is the largest rotor they rate it for. A Sram 220mm will clear the chain stay. I know the leverage could be bad for the Post Mounts. however, I would like to have the most leverage and heat resistance possible for where I ride.

so is there a compelling reason not to?

I am not the Gnarlyest...but I do go after it hard.

thanks for your time.

Posted: Jun 28, 2021 at 23:47 Quote
You will find someone telling you he did that. And that it worked. Until it doesn't. Frame could break, leading to a catastrophic failure, and fall. Just don't. Either change your brakes for something stronger, or more probably, learn how to brake properly (i.e. balance front and rear to stop more efficiently, brake less often but strongly etc.). 203 mm is plenty in the rear.

Ultimately, change for a 220 mm certified frame if this is really a priority.

Consider better braking pads too: it's a cheap upgrade that can really change the feel and power. I can recommend Swissstop or Trickstuff pads for example.

Posted: Jun 29, 2021 at 5:15 Quote
Agree, if the frame is not rated for 220mm I would not take the risk.
As TibZ said the pads can make a big difference already, I have personally put some Trickstuff Power pads (the red ones)
on my code RSC and together with a good bleeding and proper bed-in procedure the increase in power was significant. Not sure it would make a big difference on heat management though...

O+
Posted: Jun 29, 2021 at 7:51 Quote
You could try sending Norco an email asking them why the Shore frame is not rated for 220mm rotors?

They would probably have a more educated answer for you as to why not.

Posted: Jun 30, 2021 at 5:18 Quote
spinzillathespacelizard wrote:
I have a Norco shore, Norco says 203mm is the largest rotor they rate it for. A Sram 220mm will clear the chain stay. I know the leverage could be bad for the Post Mounts. however, I would like to have the most leverage and heat resistance possible for where I ride.

so is there a compelling reason not to?

I am not the Gnarlyest...but I do go after it hard.

thanks for your time.
As you already noted - leverage will be the problem, also amount of material around mounts is tested for expected leverage with 203mm rotors. It will probably work until it won't Smile
As other suggested, buy some quality 203mm rotors and metal pads and you should have more than enough power.
Even DH WC guys rode 203mm rotors not so long ago - and still are these days Smile

Posted: Jul 1, 2021 at 9:19 Quote
Leverage is an issue if you don't lose traction, since even the best tires under the best conditions lose traction even with minimal disc sizes available it's doubtful that it's going to give you any issues, I've been using 200 rotors in all my bikes f/r and when 220 became available went that route. The best thing about bigger rotors is the heat dissipation keeping the pads fresh for longer, if your frame accepts them go for it.
In case you fit better pads and rotors and increase braking force wouldn't that be an issue as well, as the braking force will be greater?

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008899
Mobile Version of Website