close
Pinkbike is now part of Outside! As of December 3, 2021, please refer to the Outside Terms of Use and Privacy Policy which govern your use of the Pinkbike website and services.

Capra Mullet conversion

PB Forum :: YT Industries
Capra Mullet conversion
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jun 29, 2021 at 20:16 Quote
Hey Capra mullet owners, wondering when you converted over to your mullet set up did you start with a 27.5 or 29? I ask because 1) YT doesn’t recommend starting off with a 29, which I don’t understand why. 2) at the same time I would like to increase the rear travel from 160 to 170mm. BTW I am starting off with a 2019 Capra 29’er. Any insight/help is appreciated.

Posted: Jun 30, 2021 at 1:02 Quote
Keijimtb wrote:
Hey Capra mullet owners, wondering when you converted over to your mullet set up did you start with a 27.5 or 29? I ask because 1) YT doesn’t recommend starting off with a 29, which I don’t understand why. 2) at the same time I would like to increase the rear travel from 160 to 170mm. BTW I am starting off with a 2019 Capra 29’er. Any insight/help is appreciated.

Putting a small wheel on the back will drop you BB a fair bit (approx. 10mm for me). If it's pretty low to start with, that could be an issue. It'll also slacken your head and seat angle by something like 1 degree or thereabouts and reduce your reach a bit. All of that can be good or bad depending on what and where you ride. I threw a small wheel on my 29er. I went from:

335mm BB height to approx. 325mm (i.e. LOW)
64.5 HA to 63.5-6
77.5 SA to 75.5-6

I've found it great, but I generally ride steep and techy trails, where I would say the reduced HA is the biggest benefit. I haven't been catching pedals much or hitting my bashguard, but there is no doubt that I am aware that my feet are closer to stuff.

If you have a small wheel, just give it a go and see what you think.

Posted: Nov 15, 2021 at 14:55 Quote
@Keijimtb Why didn't use the flip chip's HIGH position to move the BB a bit higher?

Posted: Nov 27, 2021 at 9:18 Quote
I mulleted my 2019 Capra 29er. It made for a great park/shuttle bike. But it definitely didn’t help it’s climbing performance. Even with the flip chip in high, the change to the bb height and seat angle was very noticeable. If most of your climbing is done on fire road or smooth single track, no big deal, but if you spend a lot of time climbing tight/technical single track, you might regret the change.

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.005343
Mobile Version of Website