Hardtail Recommendation

• Previous Page
Posted: Jun 30, 2021 at 17:57 Quote
Hello, I'm looking at upgrading my hardtail soon and am hoping to spend less than $1,500 USD. I've been looking at the Marin San Quentin 2 and the Vitus Sentier VR, does anyone have any recommendations for a similar bike to research? I'm trying to get a hardtail with about 130-140 mm travel.

O+
Posted: Jul 1, 2021 at 2:15 Quote
imnotdanny wrote:
Hello, I'm looking at upgrading my hardtail soon and am hoping to spend less than $1,500 USD. I've been looking at the Marin San Quentin 2 and the Vitus Sentier VR, does anyone have any recommendations for a similar bike to research? I'm trying to get a hardtail with about 130-140 mm travel.

The Vitus Sentier has raving reviews. Consider also the Nukeproof Scout Race (you will probably want to add a dropper post though).

Posted: Jul 1, 2021 at 2:53 Quote
imnotdanny wrote:

get something with modern geo and perhaps over fork it a little, i run my NS eccentric with 160 and it's great, geo is spot on and slightly slacker and more aggressive with a longer fork

Posted: Jul 1, 2021 at 6:02 Quote
the commencal meta ht am orgin is a good bike, besides the lack of a dropper but its 1,300 and you could buy a dropper for 200$

Posted: Jul 1, 2021 at 6:06 Quote
you can buy a pnw dropper with lever for 200$

Posted: Jul 1, 2021 at 9:19 Quote
freshd1rt wrote:
the commencal meta ht am orgin is a good bike, besides the lack of a dropper but its 1,300 and you could buy a dropper for 200$
The problem with the Commencal Meta Origin, the Nukeproof Scout, and the Marin San Quentin is that they all have lower-end Rockshox forks. The Marzocchi Bomber Z2 on the Sentier is a worthy upgrade over a Rockshox Recon RL, isn't it?

Posted: Jul 1, 2021 at 9:57 Quote
The bikes I am researching:
-Marin San Quentin 2
-Vitus Sentier VR
-Nukeproof Scout Race
-Commencal Meta HT Origin
-Canyon Stoic 2
Of these bikes, I think the Vitus is the best value, because it comes with a decent dropper and its fork is superior to the others, correct? (Marzocchi Bomber Z2 vs. Rockshox Recon RL/Rockshox 35 Silver Coil/Sr Suntour XCR34)
Are there any others I should look at? Thank you for the advice as well.

Posted: Jul 1, 2021 at 11:51 Quote
that vitus seems pretty good I would go for it if i where you.
Its also pretty light compared to the others

Posted: Jul 1, 2021 at 13:35 Quote
imnotdanny wrote:
freshd1rt wrote:
The problem with the Commencal Meta Origin, the Nukeproof Scout, and the Marin San Quentin is that they all have lower-end Rockshox forks. The Marzocchi Bomber Z2 on the Sentier is a worthy upgrade over a Rockshox Recon RL, isn't it?

Definitely.

Posted: Jul 1, 2021 at 17:11 Quote
93EXCivic wrote:
Ragley Big Al?
It's got the Recon RL as well. Almost all bikes at this price point have one of the shitty Rockshox forks. You can get a Marz Z2 on a Ragley if you get the Marley 1.0, Mmmbop, or Big AL 1.0 which are a bit more than I'd like to spend ($1,700)

Posted: Jul 1, 2021 at 17:25 Quote
What would you say is the better choice for wheel size, 27.5" or 29"? I'm thinking of doing 27.5" but I've never tried a 29er.

Posted: Jul 2, 2021 at 1:17 Quote
if you want playful go 27,5 otherwise 29. you could also save 500 more and get overall better bike. i bought bike for 1.5k and ended buying better fork for next season. 35 gold to Lyrik.

Posted: Jul 2, 2021 at 9:50 Quote
Rajis wrote:
if you want playful go 27,5 otherwise 29. you could also save 500 more and get overall better bike. i bought bike for 1.5k and ended buying better fork for next season. 35 gold to Lyrik.
For 2k I might end up with a Canyon Stoic 4, since that comes with NX Eagle and an RS Pike. The reason I'm not considering the Stoic 2 is that it doesn't come with a dropper and its cassette is a narrower range than the other bikes at that price point.

O+
Posted: Jul 2, 2021 at 21:13 Quote
For what it’s worth I had a pike select on my full suspension and a Z2 on my hardtail (virus sentier VR btw) and I preferred the z2. Much softer off the top. I ended up buying a lyrik ultimate to replace the pike select and never thought of upgrading the Z2.

Big fan of my sentier, it’s my xc/light trail/rolling terrain bike and it’s a blast. The value you get for that bike is pretty killer.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.009820
Mobile Version of Website