Hardtail Recommendation

Author Message
Posted: Jul 3, 2021 at 5:12 Quote
Kevindhansen wrote:
For what it’s worth I had a pike select on my full suspension and a Z2 on my hardtail (virus sentier VR btw) and I preferred the z2. Much softer off the top. I ended up buying a lyrik ultimate to replace the pike select and never thought of upgrading the Z2.

Big fan of my sentier, it’s my xc/light trail/rolling terrain bike and it’s a blast. The value you get for that bike is pretty killer.

For what i know pike maybe had tight bushings, normal problem for rs.

Posted: Jul 3, 2021 at 5:12 Quote
Rajis wrote:
Kevindhansen wrote:
For what it’s worth I had a pike select on my full suspension and a Z2 on my hardtail (virus sentier VR btw) and I preferred the z2. Much softer off the top. I ended up buying a lyrik ultimate to replace the pike select and never thought of upgrading the Z2.

Big fan of my sentier, it’s my xc/light trail/rolling terrain bike and it’s a blast. The value you get for that bike is pretty killer.

For what i know pike maybe had tight bushings, normal problem for rs.
And remember you can always upgrade Rs forks. E. damit d post

Posted: Jul 3, 2021 at 13:08 Quote
Kevindhansen wrote:
For what it’s worth I had a pike select on my full suspension and a Z2 on my hardtail (virus sentier VR btw) and I preferred the z2. Much softer off the top. I ended up buying a lyrik ultimate to replace the pike select and never thought of upgrading the Z2.

Big fan of my sentier, it’s my xc/light trail/rolling terrain bike and it’s a blast. The value you get for that bike is pretty killer.
Yes, it does seem to be one of the best value bikes I've seen. The Marin San Quentin is $10 cheaper, and it has a significantly worse spec.

Posted: Jul 3, 2021 at 20:06 Quote
Rajis wrote:
Rajis wrote:
Kevindhansen wrote:
For what it’s worth I had a pike select on my full suspension and a Z2 on my hardtail (virus sentier VR btw) and I preferred the z2. Much softer off the top. I ended up buying a lyrik ultimate to replace the pike select and never thought of upgrading the Z2.

Big fan of my sentier, it’s my xc/light trail/rolling terrain bike and it’s a blast. The value you get for that bike is pretty killer.

For what i know pike maybe had tight bushings, normal problem for rs.
And remember you can always upgrade Rs forks. E. damit d post

Wish I knew about the common bushing issue. I thought about upgrading the damper but got a good deal on a lyrik ultimate and decided to sell the pike. It made more sense given how much used parts were going for

Posted: Jul 7, 2021 at 15:09 Quote
I got a Vitus Sentier 27 VR this year and love it. I've taken it down black diamonds, wet technical terrain, smooth fast flowy stuff, you name it. It just eats it up. My only complaints would be the brakes aren't amazing and the front end gets a little light when climbing steep terrain, but those are minor things. Imo it's the best all-arounder for the price. Rocky mountain growler might be better at fast decents, and canyon stoic might be better for xc, but the sentier is no slouch in any area.

Posted: Jul 22, 2021 at 14:11 Quote
How is this thread not talking about the Rocky Mountain Growler? The top build is $1900. I do recommend the 50, as you will get GX drivetrain. I ride this bike on enduro trails. It is extremely capable. Very long and slack. The WTB wheels and tires are heavy. I ride them in the mud season and switch to carbon rims and lighter tires for the dry season.

Posted: Jul 22, 2021 at 16:57 Quote
nmuskier wrote:
How is this thread not talking about the Rocky Mountain Growler? The top build is $1900. I do recommend the 50, as you will get GX drivetrain. I ride this bike on enduro trails. It is extremely capable. Very long and slack. The WTB wheels and tires are heavy. I ride them in the mud season and switch to carbon rims and lighter tires for the dry season.
Maybe the previous model year, but not this one. I'm not looking to spend $2k to get a nicer fork and brakes.
https://www.bikes.com/en/bikes/growler/2021?tid=72

Posted: Jul 23, 2021 at 9:19 Quote
imnotdanny wrote:
nmuskier wrote:
How is this thread not talking about the Rocky Mountain Growler? The top build is $1900. I do recommend the 50, as you will get GX drivetrain. I ride this bike on enduro trails. It is extremely capable. Very long and slack. The WTB wheels and tires are heavy. I ride them in the mud season and switch to carbon rims and lighter tires for the dry season.
Maybe the previous model year, but not this one. I'm not looking to spend $2k to get a nicer fork and brakes.
https://www.bikes.com/en/bikes/growler/2021?tid=72

Gee bike, companies should really consider offering lower quality parts builds for less money. Oh, wait...

Posted: Jul 23, 2021 at 12:45 Quote
nmuskier wrote:
imnotdanny wrote:
nmuskier wrote:
How is this thread not talking about the Rocky Mountain Growler? The top build is $1900. I do recommend the 50, as you will get GX drivetrain. I ride this bike on enduro trails. It is extremely capable. Very long and slack. The WTB wheels and tires are heavy. I ride them in the mud season and switch to carbon rims and lighter tires for the dry season.
Maybe the previous model year, but not this one. I'm not looking to spend $2k to get a nicer fork and brakes.
https://www.bikes.com/en/bikes/growler/2021?tid=72

Gee bike, companies should really consider offering lower quality parts builds for less money. Oh, wait...
I mean that for that price I can get a better spec. The Vitus Sentier VRS has the same drivetrain, a Fox 34, and is a couple hundred dollars cheaper.

Posted: Jul 23, 2021 at 23:28 Quote
I have an older (2019) giant fathom you can have for a couple of beers but you have to pick it up, has everything upgraded on it, wheels, brakes, handlebar, drivetrain, fork as it just takes up space in the garage and would give me an excuse to get another bike.

Posted: Jul 24, 2021 at 10:23 Quote
natas2125 wrote:
I have an older (2019) giant fathom you can have for a couple of beers but you have to pick it up, has everything upgraded on it, wheels, brakes, handlebar, drivetrain, fork as it just takes up space in the garage and would give me an excuse to get another bike.
Seriously? Where are you located?

Posted: Jul 24, 2021 at 22:45 Quote
texas, it's a small and yes I am serious.

Posted: Jul 29, 2021 at 21:58 Quote
oh, I'm a couple thousand miles away, that probably wouldn't work. Also I'm 5'10 and still growing and a small probably wouldn't fit me.

Posted: Jul 30, 2021 at 21:48 Quote
no problem, sorry I could not help but good luck.

Posted: Aug 2, 2021 at 7:15 Quote
imnotdanny wrote:
nmuskier wrote:
imnotdanny wrote:

Maybe the previous model year, but not this one. I'm not looking to spend $2k to get a nicer fork and brakes.
https://www.bikes.com/en/bikes/growler/2021?tid=72

Gee bike, companies should really consider offering lower quality parts builds for less money. Oh, wait...
I mean that for that price I can get a better spec. The Vitus Sentier VRS has the same drivetrain, a Fox 34, and is a couple hundred dollars cheaper.

Just trying to help. Like pointing out there are less expensive models of every bike. But you got some good crack.
Vitus- $2155 USD (1550 British pounds)
Drivetrain- Shimano SLX
Fork- Fox 34 Rythm 130mm

Rocky Mountain- $2099 USD
Drivetrain- Shimano XT
Fork- RockShox 35 Gold 150mm

Yeah, good luck.


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.007328
Mobile Version of Website