2021 Specialized Enduro Chain Noise

PB Forum :: Specialized
2021 Specialized Enduro Chain Noise
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jul 4, 2021 at 15:14 Quote
To owners with 2020 /2021 Specialized Enduro's how much chain noise do you have?

I have excessive noise on mine, the worse on any bike I have owned which I can't get rid of which is especially horrendous on roots and braking bumps. All bolts have been checked and torqued. I have checked there is no play in the seat or chain stays. Chain length is correct and I have replaced the NX mech to a brand new GX one. I have also tried putting a MRP Sxg Chain Guide on it - Nothing helps.

I have ridden with other mates who have the same model Enduros and they say theres are really quite (running Sram also). Searching on the net and forums this doesn't seem to be a widely known problem as i can't really find anything.

Posted: Jul 5, 2021 at 13:15 Quote
Are you 100% sure its chain noise? I'm assuming by noise you mean chain slap as in its hitting the chainstays/seatstays? If you think it is, any marks where you can see it touching? You could wrap the most likely spots with white electrical tape and see if you can see where the chain is rubbing after riding a rough section.

Most new Specialized bikes are pretty generous with chainslap protection and SRAM mech's have got the clutch's (although pretty useless) so that's why I'm thinking it could be something else.

You haven't got your SWAT box filled with loose items? They could rattle and might sound like chain noise?

Posted: Jul 6, 2021 at 20:17 Quote
My money is on something in the swat box…

Posted: Jul 8, 2021 at 20:20 Quote
Frontrange wrote:
My money is on something in the swat box…

That's the only downside with the genius idea!

Mine is packed tight with a rolled up jacket which keeps everything from moving. Only problem is, if it gets cold or rains, I debate with myself if its worth removing the jacket because when I do, its like I'm riding a shopping cart full of pots and pans down the trail with all the clattering.

That's a bit of an exaggeration ill admit but the noise is definitely noticeable and if you have metallic items like a multi tool, could sound like chain slap.

First world problems lol

Posted: Aug 7, 2021 at 0:43 Quote
alldayriderNZ wrote:
To owners with 2020 /2021 Specialized Enduro's how much chain noise do you have?

I have excessive noise on mine, the worse on any bike I have owned which I can't get rid of which is especially horrendous on roots and braking bumps. All bolts have been checked and torqued. I have checked there is no play in the seat or chain stays. Chain length is correct and I have replaced the NX mech to a brand new GX one. I have also tried putting a MRP Sxg Chain Guide on it - Nothing helps.

I have ridden with other mates who have the same model Enduros and they say theres are really quite (running Sram also). Searching on the net and forums this doesn't seem to be a widely known problem as i can't really find anything.

Did you get to the bottom of this? I have a 2021 enduro, have the same issue and it only seems to happen when the re shock receives an impact big or small. I was thinking if it was the dropper post? Iv also had my local mechanic which checked everything and still haven't been able to fix it.

Posted: Sep 2, 2021 at 17:02 Quote
Hey, I have the same problem on my Enduro (it's definitely not the Swat Box, my chipped chainstay can attest to that). I ended up tightening the small bolt inside the derailleur hanger (you can get access when you remove the tire) and it helped significantly. I'm not used to having 2 piece hangers, so it took me far too long to try. The chain slap is still unpleasant, but it's not unbearable anymore. Were you having issues with the chain falling off the back cassette? Did you ever solve the issue?

Posted: Sep 20, 2021 at 22:52 Quote
alldayriderNZ wrote:

I have the same exact problem and doing a lot of work to fix the problem. I have found when the chain slackens it wiggles side to side and slaps the front chainring. I have also put a roller chain guide to help with the slap on the chainring but still get some sounds.

I have a 2021 S-Works Enduro Built frame up GX AXS, GX Chain, GX 10-50T Cassette, and 32T X-Sync 2 Chain ring.

I have taken the chain and derailleur off the bike and had no sound.
I have taken an old tube and wrapped the seat stay and chain stay. Still getting the same sound.
I have put a DH chain guide with roller still getting some slap at the front chainring.
Put on new chain same sound.

I did notice that the stock enduro on the specialized website have all the enduro spec with a 30T chainring and am wondering if that might be the difference?

Posted: Sep 30, 2021 at 2:04 Quote
Hey,

I don't have an Enduro but I have a similar problem as jdieker on a Ransom with X01 AXS.
The bike is super noisy and I have this problem since day1. I never had a bike that noisy, it's really unpleasant to ride. This is happening on roots, braking bumps, etc.

I already got this bike with X01 non-AXS so I know it's supposed to be super silent.

And same as you, I tried many stuff to solve it and came to the same conclusion: the noise is coming from the chain slaping back the chainring.
Chainslap slomotion

I have a full X01 AXS groupset (OEM on the bike) with 32T X-Sync 2 Chain ring. Everything is tuned perfectly and has been verified by different mechanics.

- I took the chain and derailleur off the bike: bike is dead silent
- I took foam tubes for packaging and wrapped the seat stay and chain stay: same sound
- I put on new chain: same sound
- I put on new chainring (still 32T X-Sync2): same sound
- I swapped the wheel + cassette from another bike: same sound

So I think the issue is coming from the derailleur.
I found very little topics on internet regarding this (that's why I ended up on this thread), so I think I will try to warranty the derailleur.

Let me know if you manage to solve the issue.

Posted: Sep 30, 2021 at 11:20 Quote
It may be the derailleur rotating forward when it has little tension on it which may be the case when you the suspension is working as you ride. There was a clever hack I seen and used for Shimano XT drivetrains which was based on TRP's hall lock https://www.pinkbike.com/news/first-ride-trps-dh7-shifter-and-derailleur.html and this stopped the whole unit rotating on its mounting axis and taking tension of the chain and allowing it to slap. This is independent from the clutch system as that works on the cage only.

I now have a GX drivetrain and note two different things to my old XT, the clutch is more of an idea than a physical thing on SRAM derailleurs. You cannot adjust it and it feels like it does very little. The other is I couldn't get a hall lock type system to work easily. Theoretically would be possible but from memory I was going to need to do some modifications with power tools that I couldn't stomach on a brand new mech.

The hack I used on the XT is as per the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IChC4h8WDkA&t=718s

Basically you are adding a washer between the mounting point and derailleur body which when tightened down sandwiches the two fixed points together and stops them from rotating. It doesn't affect the way your derailleur works, just limits useless movement.

The only other thing I can think of is run something like a STFU chain guide/damper. These look like they would stop the chain from excessively bouncing around as per your video. Bear in mind that the movement you see there is due to the rear suspension so you cant do much to stop it, just limit its effect.

Posted: Oct 3, 2021 at 0:38 Quote
Eneite wrote:
Hey,

I don't have an Enduro but I have a similar problem as jdieker on a Ransom with X01 AXS.
The bike is super noisy and I have this problem since day1. I never had a bike that noisy, it's really unpleasant to ride. This is happening on roots, braking bumps, etc.

I already got this bike with X01 non-AXS so I know it's supposed to be super silent.

And same as you, I tried many stuff to solve it and came to the same conclusion: the noise is coming from the chain slaping back the chainring.
Chainslap slomotion

I have a full X01 AXS groupset (OEM on the bike) with 32T X-Sync 2 Chain ring. Everything is tuned perfectly and has been verified by different mechanics.

- I took the chain and derailleur off the bike: bike is dead silent
- I took foam tubes for packaging and wrapped the seat stay and chain stay: same sound
- I put on new chain: same sound
- I put on new chainring (still 32T X-Sync2): same sound
- I swapped the wheel + cassette from another bike: same sound

So I think the issue is coming from the derailleur.
I found very little topics on internet regarding this (that's why I ended up on this thread), so I think I will try to warranty the derailleur.

Let me know if you manage to solve the issue.

I have gotten my derailleur warranty and they sent me a new one. That did not fix the problem.

I kept riding it and also was at the DH World Cup a few weeks ago to talk with specialized and Sram about the problem. I had about 5 pro mechanics look at the problem and no one could seem to fix it.

Got back and decided to call Sram again about the problem and was told “it seems like it might just be time to move on”.

Not sure what that means but he took all my information and I am waiting for a response. I am guessing they are going to tell me to send it back and get something new.

I have also called specialized about the problem and got the response to just warranty the bike. I don’t think that will do anything as it is not a problem with the frame.

Next solution I have is to try TRP new 12 speed system. Has anyone used it?

Posted: Oct 4, 2021 at 1:59 Quote
Hello,

So I managed to track down the problem!

- I measured the tension of two X01 AXS derailleurs cage: they were the same as mine (so my derailleur is fine, no defect)
- I measured the tension of a mechanical X01 and the tension is much higher. They probably reduced the clutch tension on AXS because of the electric motors
- I went riding this weekend with Hope Pro 2 hubs instead of my i9 Hydra hubs and the bike finally got silent

That was the first time I was riding my bike with no noise since I got it, such a nice feeling! Drool

I'm pretty sure that if I try the bike with my i9 hubs and a mechanical X01 (with more tension than AXS) it will be silent as well.
I think my issue is the AXS less powerful clutch combined with the high engagement hub I'm using. I don't know which wheels are you using but maybe give a try with another set.

Before to ditch either my wheelset or my AXS for a mechanical, I will give a try to the video from mitch1992.
STFU is not working since my issue is the chain boucing agaisnt the lower side of the chainring (and not against the frame). Lower chainguide would solve the issue but meh...

Another idea: does someone know if it's possible to swap the X01 AXS clutch by one from a mechanical X01?

Thanks for you help.
And sorry, I'm probably a bit off topic here...

Posted: Oct 4, 2021 at 11:27 Quote
How would the hub have any effect on the chainslap you are getting?

Also note the idea I suggested will not help with clutch tension on the cage. It just eliminates rotation of the whole derailleur on its mounting point. This could be you issue but very hard to pinpoint unless you have a slowmotion camera and can see the whole derailleur rotating forward under tension.

More than likely its a mix of the two and will be worse on a suspension layout that generates a lot of chain growth on extension of the linkage

Posted: Oct 4, 2021 at 15:08 Quote
mitch1992 wrote:
How would the hub have any effect on the chainslap you are getting?

Also note the idea I suggested will not help with clutch tension on the cage. It just eliminates rotation of the whole derailleur on its mounting point. This could be you issue but very hard to pinpoint unless you have a slowmotion camera and can see the whole derailleur rotating forward under tension.

More than likely its a mix of the two and will be worse on a suspension layout that generates a lot of chain growth on extension of the linkage
I have no idea to be honnest... At low speed it would make sense because of the pedal kickback but at high speed the freehub should easily absorb pedal kickback...
However it's particulary noisy when going fast through rough terrain (this is actually the worse, chainslap is so bad it sounds like everything is exploding on the bike).

But fact is, I managed to get rid of the chainslap by switching wheels. Changing anything else on the bike has been useless so far (chainring, chain, upper chainguide, another AXS etc.)

I know your idea will not increase tension and I don't think the noise is coming from here. I was suspecting the B screw at the very begining but in the end I found out that this was not moving (with slowmo from my phone).
But it doesn't cost anything so I will still give a try.

Last point: I got my answer, clutch is not the same between AXS and mechanical and they are not compatible

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.005447
Mobile Version of Website