2021 Specialized Enduro Chain Noise

PB Forum :: Specialized
2021 Specialized Enduro Chain Noise
  • Next Page
Posted: Mar 5, 2022 at 4:13 Quote
I solve the problem instaling cush core's.

Posted: Mar 5, 2022 at 8:40 Quote
mitch1992 wrote:
Mine is packed tight with a rolled up jacket which keeps everything from moving. Only problem is, if it gets cold or rains, I debate with myself if its worth removing the jacket because when I do, its like I'm riding a shopping cart full of pots and pans down the trail with all the clattering.

I realize this is an old thread, but could you also carry something like a balloon or a ziploc bag? Something you could carry empty but then fill up with air to take up space when you remove the jacket.

edit: haha, or even an inner tube?

Posted: Oct 1, 2022 at 6:32 Quote
I also have identified the sound as chain on chainring, but have a mechanic x01 with already shortened chain and low engagement dt370 hub.

Suggest new chainring? New RD? Lower chain roller?

O+
Posted: Oct 2, 2022 at 11:26 Quote
eteyber wrote:
I also have identified the sound as chain on chainring, but have a mechanic x01 with already shortened chain and low engagement dt370 hub.

Suggest new chainring? New RD? Lower chain roller?

What is the sound? The chain sticking to the chainring and it getting torn off it? I would first start by making sure everything is a clean as possible, check your chain wear and that nothing is rubbing where it shouldn't. If everything is clean and lubricated and in alignment, you shouldn't get excessive noise from this area other than the normal working sound of a chain running around the cassette and chainring.

If your referring to chain slap on the chainstays, that's a different issue. I've seen people use one of the STFU chain guide arms upside down which supposedly helps the chain from slapping on the bottom side not the top

Posted: Oct 3, 2022 at 9:21 Quote
@mitch1992 Its not that rumbling sound of the chain sticking to a worn out chainring. And its not the chain hitting the chain stay.

Its the chain hitting the bottom half of the chain ring (where it shouldn't be able to if SRAM RDs had a stronger clutch). I took out a link of chain to try to get more engagement from the RD but didn't seem to help. Everything is clean and chain isn't overly worn. I am running an absolute black oval chainring, I guess I'll go back to the stock 30T chainring after this one and see if that sorts out the problem. Also probably ditch this XO group for a Shimano or Box group with a proper clutch. Open to other suggestions...

O+
Posted: Oct 3, 2022 at 15:05 Quote
eteyber wrote:
@mitch1992 Its not that rumbling sound of the chain sticking to a worn out chainring. And its not the chain hitting the chain stay.

Its the chain hitting the bottom half of the chain ring (where it shouldn't be able to if SRAM RDs had a stronger clutch). I took out a link of chain to try to get more engagement from the RD but didn't seem to help. Everything is clean and chain isn't overly worn. I am running an absolute black oval chainring, I guess I'll go back to the stock 30T chainring after this one and see if that sorts out the problem. Also probably ditch this XO group for a Shimano or Box group with a proper clutch. Open to other suggestions...

It could be the oval ring causing excess slack in the chain at certain points whereas a circular chainring keeps the chain at a consistent tension. I would try a lower chain guide to see if you could control some of the slack on the bottom side. I guess you want to keep the chain hugging the chainring as much as possible.

I have seen quite a few enduros with lower chain guides, I'm assuming to solve this issue. Some of the specialized enduro team run them.

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.015212
Mobile Version of Website