Mammoth Mountain Bike Park *specific forum*

PB Forum :: USA - West
Mammoth Mountain Bike Park *specific forum*
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jul 8, 2021 at 16:36 Quote
Hey Everyone

I have been looking all over the net for a Mammoth Bike Park specific forum....cant find anything, so I decided to start a thread here at Pinkbike.

I am hoping that this thread can be a place to post on the ground updates about everything Mammoth.

I will be up there 7/17-7/24 and will post updates on crowds and trail conditions with pictures.

Posted: Jul 8, 2021 at 20:17 Quote
Mammoth will have an additional lift operating Fri-Sun, Stump Alley Express/Chair 2. This is in addition to Canyon Express/Chair 16 that was announced a couple weeks ago.

https://www.mammothmountain.com/mammoth-bike-park/weekly-bike-park-report-2021

Posted: Jul 14, 2021 at 8:31 Quote
Glad to see a Mammoth thread. Never been to Mammoth, but going end of July for a vacation my wife's family planned. Any advice or knowledge would be appreciated.

Posted: Jul 15, 2021 at 22:10 Quote
Glad someone else is interested..hah!

Are you bringing your own bike or renting? They have much better/new/bigger variety rental fleet this year compared to previous years.

What is your skill level? I am low black diamond and my son is upper intermediate working to conquer black this trip.

Weekdays are obviously less crowded, but you only have access to one small lift and the gondola. However, you can still access the whole mountain from those, just takes some pedaling.

The trails are mostly lightweight (i.e. floats in water) pumice, so it can take a run or two to get used to.

Posted: Jul 15, 2021 at 22:26 Quote
Finally heading back up there this weekend!

So the last time I was there I brought my 150 trail bike (stumpy evo). Felt perfect on the black diamonds like boomerang and shotgun but I felt a little undergunned on the double blacks like follow me, velocity and shock treatment.

I'm probably picking the worst lines and not skilled enough with it but are true DH bikes more fun up there? Or would you rather ride an enduro or trail bike? why?

Posted: Jul 16, 2021 at 13:39 Quote
My plan is to bring my bike (150mm trail bike), I'll probably go late in the day on a Friday and most of the day Saturday. I've been venturing into black trails, but not double blacks.

Posted: Jul 16, 2021 at 22:21 Quote
This will be my first time with my new bike, 2020 Capra 27.5 180mm. I have always rented up there and that was a Trek Ex of some variant with 150-160mm.

I have never ridden a true DH bike so I cant compare it.

Posted: Jul 18, 2021 at 21:57 Quote
Just wrapped up a weekend trip, 150 trail bike was perfect even on the double blacks.

One of the mammoth techs pointed out that I was only using half my shock, let some air out and removed a token and now my bike soaks up all the rocks and bumps, so much fun

Posted: Jul 19, 2021 at 15:18 Quote
dustyquail wrote:
Just wrapped up a weekend trip, 150 trail bike was perfect even on the double blacks.

One of the mammoth techs pointed out that I was only using half my shock, let some air out and removed a token and now my bike soaks up all the rocks and bumps, so much fun

Nice!

1st ride day was today, Monday, cut short due to thunderstorms. Crowds are WAY down from last year, seem to be back to what a normal summer weekday was pre pandemic.

Posted: Jul 19, 2021 at 15:21 Quote
I have a 130mm trail bike that I am thinking of taking to the bike park. What route would you guys recommend ? I have never been to a bike park but have ridden socal trails like the luge and rock-it and lizard, so I am wondering if there are any good flow trails and rock gardens like those in mammoth.
Thanks

Posted: Jul 19, 2021 at 15:35 Quote
Franken-Bike wrote:
I have a 130mm trail bike that I am thinking of taking to the bike park. What route would you guys recommend ? I have never been to a bike park but have ridden socal trails like the luge and rock-it and lizard, so I am wondering if there are any good flow trails and rock gardens like those in mammoth.
Thanks

Prepare for non-stop grinning, I already booked a return trip a week from now.

I'd recommend a warm up from Off the Top --> White Bark--> Richter (flowy decent all the way down with some cool stuff at the end)

Check out Breakthrough --> Boomerang --> Shotgun
Skid marks says double black but aside from being a loose AF at the top right now it's not that bad and connects to some flowy blues on the other side of the mountain

I'd hit Velocity at least once, probably my favorite trail.
If you liked Velocity, try "Follow me"

have fun out there!

Posted: Jul 19, 2021 at 15:41 Quote
Do you think I would be pushing my bike, because I have a trail bike, and I'm wondering if those trails would be too much.
Thanks for letting me know

Posted: Jul 19, 2021 at 15:55 Quote
Franken-Bike wrote:
Do you think I would be pushing my bike, because I have a trail bike, and I'm wondering if those trails would be too much.
Thanks for letting me know

nah man, you're gonna have a blast. Pre-ride, Re-Ride, FreeRide

Posted: Jul 19, 2021 at 15:57 Quote
Thanks Dude, really appreciate the advice

Posted: Jul 22, 2021 at 11:36 Quote
Mammoth Wednesday report:
Mountain bike crowds are definitely down from last year. Less than a 5 minute wait for gondola, Discovery chair = walk up and go. Last year gondola on a Wed was 15-20 minutes at least, Discovery was 10-15. On our second run on Off the Top at around 2pm we were the only riders on it the whole way down, didnt see anyone way ahead of us or way behind. Most other runs we might encounter 2 or 3 people in a group we needed to pass or allow to pass...in other words ride on weekdays if you have the opportunity.

Tourist/Hiker crowd still very high. Parking at the main lodge approaches ski season walk distance if you are not there early.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012039
Mobile Version of Website