how come the new fad is to buy a hardtail and make it a single speed and ride it in skate parks?

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
how come the new fad is to buy a hardtail and make it a single speed and ride it in skate parks?
Posted: Mar 6, 2008 at 0:48 Quote
Another note: HT SS bikes were around before they had gears. Some people like the authenticity of it. If you want to get into other styles of riding, then the argument can just explode.

Point: It's not a fad, it's not a problem. If you've never tried it, you should. Riding a SS HT of any time is an experience to behold.

Posted: Mar 6, 2008 at 0:48 Quote
Sorry, that was getting a little off-topic.

Posted: Mar 6, 2008 at 6:22 Quote
All my friends did that but then they sold their mountain bikes to buy BMXs

Posted: Mar 6, 2008 at 6:26 Quote
I have both a BMX and a SS hardtail (P3)

Singles speeding just makes it simpler and easier to maintain, it's not a fad at all. If you don't need gears, why have them on your bike? Save time and money and take your deraileur off.

FL
Posted: Mar 6, 2008 at 6:41 Quote
bmx is way to small for me and mtb are so much fun, why not ride big boy wheels at a sk8 park rather than baby wheels
plus singlespeed is so much easier to run, how many here run gears for street and use every single cog, i'd compensate hassle of gears for simplicity of ss.

Posted: Mar 6, 2008 at 6:49 Quote
i have a bmx and a single speed mtb.i feel more confterble on my mtb,wen i ride it i feel like i actualy have a bike between my legs. I only use my bmx for lerning the tricks like 360,fakie to hop out,180 down the stairs and shit like that,i dont jump with it or anything,i use my mtb for that,the reason y its single speed is,thers no derailler,gears or cables aka extra weight. the single speed chains are more though so they dont snap as much.thers a tons more reason and its not a fad,kids do it cuz its simpler and less expensive

Posted: Mar 6, 2008 at 6:52 Quote
do you mean park bikes..

Posted: Mar 6, 2008 at 6:58 Quote
I went single speed because I'm poor.

Posted: Mar 6, 2008 at 6:58 Quote
guitarhero13 wrote:
All my friends did that but then they sold their mountain bikes to buy BMXs

so wouldnt that make BMX a fad. well ill buy one cause my friend has one...

Posted: Mar 6, 2008 at 7:07 Quote
geezir wrote:
New fad? Have you been living under a rock for the last 3 or 4 years? It's not a new fad.

My thoughts exactly. I've been riding a SS HT for somewhere around 5 years now and I know I wasn't the first, that's a pretty long running fad.

godfrey wrote:
the ONLY reason id prefer to see bmxes in skateparks rather than ht is the skateboarders around here are a-holes for the most part and as long at the bmxers dont get in there way all is good but then some kid/kids come through with there "big bikes" and snake the skateboarders lines and then anyone riding anykind of bike then tuners into the bad guy or victim.

I hate to break it to you but skateboards don't snake bikes and bikes don't snake skateboards, the people riding them do that to each other. Take away the person and you have a chunk of metal and a chunk of wood on wheels that won't go anywhere on its own. Conclusion, don't hate on the bikes, hate the jackasses that can't properly control them.

makripper wrote:
how come u see all types of pro's n taller people riding bmx with no probs?

Everyone is different. Some people don't mind the feel of a BMX while others do.

Posted: Mar 6, 2008 at 7:11 Quote
It's not a fad it's the most reliable setup if you can have horizontal drop-outs those tension seekers suck balls otherwise don't bother. I went singlespeed on my Jackal as I don't need gears on that bike and they just mess up on you at the wrong time. That sucks when your gear slips right before a big move, no more no gears. I don't ride much park or street mostly dj's on that bike, and I don't have a front brake either want to change the back bb7 to a juicy5 very little stopping power there. I love my singlespeed setup on a mtb for any dj or street, I highly recommend it.

Posted: Mar 6, 2008 at 7:26 Quote
If your BB7 has very little stopping power, you have it setup wrong.

Posted: Mar 6, 2008 at 8:30 Quote
Borgschulze wrote:

i was thinkin the same thing myself..even the bb5 have really good stopping power

Posted: Mar 6, 2008 at 8:35 Quote
nothingsshocking wrote:
Borgschulze wrote:

i was thinkin the same thing myself..even the bb5 have really good stopping power

I have no problem locking up a BB5 with a 6" rotor...

Trials riders even use BB7s... it's the best Mechanical caliper out there.

Posted: Mar 6, 2008 at 8:37 Quote
lelandjt wrote:
Quote, "PS; bmxes are toooooo small for me "
Yeah, I'm 6'2" and during the 10 plus years I rode BMXs I was always trying to get my bike fit better. Turns out all I need was bigger wheels.

werd up BMX frames are for little boys like 6 yrs old

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.015635
Mobile Version of Website