Chainstay threads stripping?

PB Forum :: Guerrilla Gravity
Chainstay threads stripping?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Jul 13, 2021 at 7:29 Quote
Has anyone on here had experience with the threads stripping on their chainstays? I'm waiting for my Gnarvana frame and have been reading a lot of reports on Facebook and MTBR about chainstay threads stripping out at the horst link after just a few rides. Some people seem to have an easy time getting replacements while others are getting the run around from GG. Sounds like a design flaw to me.

Posted: Jul 13, 2021 at 8:14 Quote
Assuming you're talking about the standard aluminum rear end: Any threaded interface can be over-torqued and stripped. The bolts have the torque spec right on the head(a feature I really like) and I doubt you'd strip them if you're following that guideline. 10 nm isn't that much force.

I've had no issue with mine, but I use a torque wrench when specs are known.

I think you've read into some FUD.

If you're talking about the new carbon rear end: I've no idea, and haven't heard of it.

O+
Posted: Jul 13, 2021 at 12:33 Quote
I am talking about the aluminum stays. If this is a user error or an over torquing issue then Guerilla Gravity has problems with it's assembly staff. I've been hearing multiple reports of complete bikes having their chainstays strip out after a week of ownership and normal riding, not just because someone is over torqueing the bolt then "snap" the threads are toast. Apparently the threads can't handle real world riding but I think Guerilla Gravity has adopted a new method of threading the stays to make the threads more durable.

O+
Posted: Aug 10, 2021 at 8:22 Quote
Quick update here since I've had my GG for a few weeks now. It sounds like the majority of the problems are from people not checking their bolts. I noticed my drive side horst link/chainstay bolt was backing out slightly after each ride but a very thin coat of loctite seems to have solved it. After eight rides none of the other bolts have backed out. GG does ask that you check the bolts after every ride and although that's an annoyance it's not uncommon for bolts to back out (I'm looking at you Trek rocker bolts!)

Posted: Aug 10, 2021 at 8:51 Quote
You could use torque marker so you can see right away when a bolt is getting loose:

photo

Posted: Aug 10, 2021 at 10:50 Quote
provin1327 wrote:
Quick update here since I've had my GG for a few weeks now. It sounds like the majority of the problems are from people not checking their bolts. I noticed my drive side horst link/chainstay bolt was backing out slightly after each ride but a very thin coat of loctite seems to have solved it. After eight rides none of the other bolts have backed out. GG does ask that you check the bolts after every ride and although that's an annoyance it's not uncommon for bolts to back out (I'm looking at you Trek rocker bolts!)

I've not had a full-squish bike that didn't have at least one bolt that liked loosening for a while when it was new. They eventually decide to stick.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008263
Mobile Version of Website