Manitou Circus Comp, Expert, or Pro?

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Manitou Circus Comp, Expert, or Pro?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jul 13, 2021 at 12:01 Quote
Im building a new dirt jump bike.
Mostly for street/park riding, but dirt jumps too.

Im thinking fo getting the manitou expert.
Also considering the comp or pro.

The circus comp is $445cad.
The circus expert is $625cad.
The circus pro is $975cad.

Is the pro worth the extra money over the expert?
Should I even be considering the comp?

Posted: Jul 24, 2021 at 9:31 Quote
The Comp is a coil spring fork and is heavy but durable.
The Expert has 32mm stanchions and is air sprung
The Pro has 34mm stanchions and a different air spring. It also weighs less.
The expert has served a lot of people well and a happy median.

colintsissons wrote:
Im building a new dirt jump bike.
Mostly for street/park riding, but dirt jumps too.

Im thinking fo getting the manitou expert.
Also considering the comp or pro.

The circus comp is $445cad.
The circus expert is $625cad.
The circus pro is $975cad.

Is the pro worth the extra money over the expert?
Should I even be considering the comp?

Posted: Jul 26, 2021 at 22:59 Quote
Short answer:

If you want a 80 or 100mm fork, get the Expert.

If you want a 130mm fork, you'll appreciate the extra stiffness of the Pro.

More:

No, you should not be considering the Comp. It is too heavy, and too difficult to dial in. You'll regret not paying extra for the Expert.

But! The advantages of the Pro - extra travel, more sophisticated damper, stiffer chassis - are improvements that you are more likely to appreciate in a full-suspension park/slopestyle bike, in my opinion.

The bike I have ridden most often in the last two years (Thanks COVID!) has been an NS Suburban with a 2018 100mm Circus Expert. I got a fantastic deal on it due to industry connections and if the Circus Pro (which had just come out, and was an option) was available with a straight steerer tube, I probably would have gone for it and been very happy.

As it is, the Expert is super easy to adjust between the various dirt jumps, concrete bowls, and rough drainage ditches I ride regularly. With the fork at 100mm of travel and myself at 80-ish kg of enthusiastic takeoffs and artless landings, I've had no issues with flex/stiffness in the 32mm chassis.

So, unless you need a longer travel, tapered-steerer fork, I don't think you'll go wrong with the Circus Expert.

Posted: Jul 31, 2021 at 12:41 Quote
anoplura wrote:
Short answer:

If you want a 80 or 100mm fork, get the Expert.

If you want a 130mm fork, you'll appreciate the extra stiffness of the Pro.

More:

No, you should not be considering the Comp. It is too heavy, and too difficult to dial in. You'll regret not paying extra for the Expert.

But! The advantages of the Pro - extra travel, more sophisticated damper, stiffer chassis - are improvements that you are more likely to appreciate in a full-suspension park/slopestyle bike, in my opinion.

The bike I have ridden most often in the last two years (Thanks COVID!) has been an NS Suburban with a 2018 100mm Circus Expert. I got a fantastic deal on it due to industry connections and if the Circus Pro (which had just come out, and was an option) was available with a straight steerer tube, I probably would have gone for it and been very happy.

As it is, the Expert is super easy to adjust between the various dirt jumps, concrete bowls, and rough drainage ditches I ride regularly. With the fork at 100mm of travel and myself at 80-ish kg of enthusiastic takeoffs and artless landings, I've had no issues with flex/stiffness in the 32mm chassis.

So, unless you need a longer travel, tapered-steerer fork, I don't think you'll go wrong with the Circus Expert.

Thanks!

My frame is a hard tail and I will be running 100mm of travel.

I think I will be going with the expert.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.005384
Mobile Version of Website