5010 V4 fork offset

PB Forum :: Santa Cruz
5010 V4 fork offset
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jul 15, 2021 at 16:41 Quote
Just picked up a 5010 V4 frame in the Stormbringer Purple. Sick color BTW. I'm exploring my options on suspension set up. I have decided to use a 210 x 55 X2 shock, should get around 143mm of travel in the rear and a Float 36 up front at 150mm.

This brings me to the next phase of the development, choosing the fork offset, but I am not sure about which offset to go with. I have been leaning towards the 37mm offset for stability over the stock 44mm that SCB recommends. I may play around with travel settings later on and put it in stock travel 130mm/140mm, I will use a -5mm travel reducer for the rear shock to make it 130mm since I will be using the 55mm stroke.

I'd really like to hear from anyone one out there on the V4 riding a 37mm offset fork and about their experience with this offset of even with 44mm offset. I'm looking for stability at high speeds in the rough, corner fast, I have never ridden a offset shorter than 44mm. Climbing is not issue for me, I ride a Nomad. Thanks in advance for any hints, tips and tricks!

Posted: Sep 5, 2021 at 19:53 Quote
Hey mate, I'm running a 37mm Pike on my 5010 V4. I can't tell you the difference with a 44mm forks but I can tell you that it rides absolutely great. I've have used it for about 3 months in the low setting in various settings. I ride anything from urban street trials to enduro style black grade trails, bike park stuff (jumps and drops) and mixed cross country / trail stuff.
I find this 37mm offset nimble enough and very stable at higher speeds.
If I ride the bike very slow without my hands OFF the bars it is tricky to balance due to the slack angle, but it doesn't affect my ability in slow speed hard level technical stuff which I do heaps of.
Hope this helps, hit me up if you have questions.
Oh, the fork crown easily clears the frame, that was one of my worries.

hit-n-run wrote:
Just picked up a 5010 V4 frame in the Stormbringer Purple. Sick color BTW. I'm exploring my options on suspension set up. I have decided to use a 210 x 55 X2 shock, should get around 143mm of travel in the rear and a Float 36 up front at 150mm.

This brings me to the next phase of the development, choosing the fork offset, but I am not sure about which offset to go with. I have been leaning towards the 37mm offset for stability over the stock 44mm that SCB recommends. I may play around with travel settings later on and put it in stock travel 130mm/140mm, I will use a -5mm travel reducer for the rear shock to make it 130mm since I will be using the 55mm stroke.

I'd really like to hear from anyone one out there on the V4 riding a 37mm offset fork and about their experience with this offset of even with 44mm offset. I'm looking for stability at high speeds in the rough, corner fast, I have never ridden a offset shorter than 44mm. Climbing is not issue for me, I ride a Nomad. Thanks in advance for any hints, tips and tricks!

Posted: Sep 9, 2021 at 19:40 Quote
I'm curious of the same thing. Got the V4 with the Pike Select and I am not completely sure if it is 44mm or 46mm offset. I live in the flatlands so am curious if a 37 offset will make it harder to jib around. I'll be upgrading to a factory 36 set to the standard 140mm. What do you guys think 44mm or 37mm offset? I've been to the bike park, XC trails, and enduro stuff and whatever offset it currently runs feels fine. Just curious is 37mm would make it feel even better, or ruin it?

Posted: Mar 14, 2022 at 13:58 Quote
Bumping this post up. Would be curious to hear anyone else's thoughts. I'm considering upgrading to either a Fox Factory which has 44mm offset or the Pike Ultimate which has 37mm offset. I think the bike has 44 stock, but am concerned the different measurement will change my ride drastically. Big $$ to spend to be unhappy. Would love to hear any thoughts and/or additional experiences. Thanks!

Posted: Mar 16, 2022 at 6:12 Quote
I've got a V4 en route (so pumped!) and you all that are running 36s are my hero! I chickened out and went for a 34 Factory to replace the standard Pike (140/44 offset also).

Posted: Mar 29, 2022 at 18:57 Quote
I ended up getting a FOX 36 grip2 44mm offset, so I wouldn't know how a 37mm offset feels like. Though I am really stoked on how it rides with the 44mm offset, it's very stable, playful and corners excellent. Running fork @ 140mm and it's such a sick short travel beast!

I also have a Nomad4 with a 44mm offset fork and my buddy has same bike but with the FOX 38 37mm offset. I noticed right away the set tube angle steepened and felt more pedal efficient and there was almost no steer flop. I will be getting a 37mm offset for the Nomad4.

A 37mm offset I don't think will make it ride like shit.

jglas27 wrote:
Bumping this post up. Would be curious to hear anyone else's thoughts. I'm considering upgrading to either a Fox Factory which has 44mm offset or the Pike Ultimate which has 37mm offset. I think the bike has 44 stock, but am concerned the different measurement will change my ride drastically. Big $$ to spend to be unhappy. Would love to hear any thoughts and/or additional experiences. Thanks!

Posted: Jul 3, 2022 at 3:49 Quote
I don’t think it will make that much difference. Pro tip run a 150 fork with cascade link out back

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.005929
Mobile Version of Website