Cushcore vs Heavier Casing tires

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Cushcore vs Heavier Casing tires
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jul 17, 2021 at 13:01 Quote
Thinking about using cushcore but not sure if a heavier casing tire would do the trick it’s self. I put a small dent in my rim the other day and want to prevent more damage. The stuff I ride isn’t super rough but I do like to hit jumps (and sometimes I case them). I weight about 200 pounds so I’m a bigger guy and naturally am harder on wheels. I currently just run Maxxis Dissectors with Exo casing on it. Do I buy the cushcore or heavier casing tires???

Posted: Jul 17, 2021 at 22:08 Quote
Every time I ride without Cush Core, I ding my rims. Currently have Cush Core XC out back and no insert up front. My buddy who runs double down/DH tires has now broken both of his carbon rims and he has no inserts. I vote inserts!

Posted: Jul 18, 2021 at 5:39 Quote
bdreynolds7 wrote:
Every time I ride without Cush Core, I ding my rims. Currently have Cush Core XC out back and no insert up front. My buddy who runs double down/DH tires has now broken both of his carbon rims and he has no inserts. I vote inserts!

Interesting. Can I ask what casing you run? I’m thinking about going EXO+ with cushcore

Posted: Jul 18, 2021 at 7:02 Quote
Exo with Cush Core

Posted: Jul 18, 2021 at 7:12 Quote
Big guy here. I tried the DH casing and I hated it. They made my bike feel very sluggish. It’s was especially noticeable on climbs and flat sections. And they didn’t really add any protection to my rims. That heavier casing mainly protects the sidewalls of the tires. I’ve settled on the Exo and DD casings with inserts. I’m 220 and have been putting my wheels through the ringer this season and (knock on wood) no issues so far.

Posted: Jul 18, 2021 at 9:29 Quote
Trouble is the grippiest tyres out right now are them Michelin DH22's, also digging the yellow to match on some of the parts on my bike too....it's a toss up between cushcore or those for me as I've seen they are a very, very good tyre but heavy.

Posted: Jul 18, 2021 at 19:30 Quote
To protect the rims get inserts. Tire choice is terrain specific, if you're not riding DH level trails or ride somewhere with ultra sharp rocks then you don't need DH tires.

Posted: Jul 23, 2021 at 7:11 Quote
I would weigh it up like this...

EXO, no insert = medium comfort, low sidewall support, low slash resistance, low bottom out support, low puncture protection, low weight, low grip.

EXO, with insert = high comfort, high sidewall support, low slash resistance, high bottom out support, medium puncture protection, medium weight, medium/high grip.

DH tyre, no insert = low comfort, medium sidewall support, high slash resistance, medium bottom out support, high puncture protection, high weight, high grip.

DH tyre, with insert = medium comfort, very high sidewall support, high slash resistance, very high bottom out support, very high puncture protection, very high weight, very high grip.

Basically if you need slash resistance and stupidly high grip DH casing is your answer at the cost ofa lot of weight and lower comfort.

If you want a good balance of grip and sidewall support, lower rolling resistance, less weight than a DH tyre and more comfort, exo and cushcore makes the most sense for most people.

Almost no one on here should require DH casing and Cushcore together unless fitted to an actual DH bike riding very rough gnarly terrain.

On balance the exo and cushcore is the better way to go over just a dh casing.

If it was me I would put them in this order for an enduro bike - Exo with Cushcore - DH no insert - Exo no insert - DH with Cushcore.

For a DH bike - DH with Cushcore if only neccessary - DH - Exo with Cushcore - Exo

This is just my opinion.

Posted: Jul 23, 2021 at 7:24 Quote
Also, focusing on sidewall support is a bit misplaced. We don't actually need sidewall support. MotoGP tires are designed to have flexible sidewalls and a stiff tread area. We really need to keep the cornering knob area from folding. Obviously there are different considerations between MotoGP and MTB but increasing sidewall support while lowering pressure (decreasing casing tension) is somewhat counter productive.

Posted: Jul 23, 2021 at 17:24 Quote
Danzzz88 wrote:
I would weigh it up like this...

EXO, no insert = medium comfort, low sidewall support, low slash resistance, low bottom out support, low puncture protection, low weight, low grip.

EXO, with insert = high comfort, high sidewall support, low slash resistance, high bottom out support, medium puncture protection, medium weight, medium/high grip.

DH tyre, no insert = low comfort, medium sidewall support, high slash resistance, medium bottom out support, high puncture protection, high weight, high grip.

DH tyre, with insert = medium comfort, very high sidewall support, high slash resistance, very high bottom out support, very high puncture protection, very high weight, very high grip.

Basically if you need slash resistance and stupidly high grip DH casing is your answer at the cost ofa lot of weight and lower comfort.

If you want a good balance of grip and sidewall support, lower rolling resistance, less weight than a DH tyre and more comfort, exo and cushcore makes the most sense for most people.

Almost no one on here should require DH casing and Cushcore together unless fitted to an actual DH bike riding very rough gnarly terrain.

On balance the exo and cushcore is the better way to go over just a dh casing.

If it was me I would put them in this order for an enduro bike - Exo with Cushcore - DH no insert - Exo no insert - DH with Cushcore.

For a DH bike - DH with Cushcore if only neccessary - DH - Exo with Cushcore - Exo

This is just my opinion.

Awesome explanation. I’ve never rode DH tires so I didn’t know really what the difference is personally. EXO and CC pry makes the most sense for what I ride. Mostly machine made trails, some jumps and rough stuff, but my buddies and I want to start hitting some bike parks. Basically I don’t want to blow out tires at the park and be stranded with nothing to ride but don’t want to be weighed down on the weekly rides.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.005423
Mobile Version of Website