Ibis Ripmo V2 on DHX2?

PB Forum :: Fox Racing Shox
Ibis Ripmo V2 on DHX2?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jul 19, 2021 at 19:48 Quote
Hi all,

I am looking to switch to coil from my DVO topaz rear shock on my ripmo v2. I noticed the fox dhx2 is not one of the recommended coil shocks on their website. Does anyone know why a DHX2 would not be compatible with a Ripmo V2? Potentially the tune?

Thanks,
Patrick

Posted: Jul 26, 2021 at 5:50 Quote
The Ripmo, like many other frames uses a yoke mount for the shock. This effectively lengthens the shock eye to eye leading to tons of side loading. Air shocks are better equipped to handle that force than a coil shock and it leads to a dramatically increased failure rate on the shock.

O+
Posted: Aug 1, 2021 at 21:05 Quote
patrickwhitesel wrote:
Hi all,

I am looking to switch to coil from my DVO topaz rear shock on my ripmo v2. I noticed the fox dhx2 is not one of the recommended coil shocks on their website. Does anyone know why a DHX2 would not be compatible with a Ripmo V2? Potentially the tune?

Thanks,
Patrick

Asked the question to Ibis and received the following response:

The DHX2 is not a clevis compatible shock. Clevises increases the effective eye-eye of the shock to the length of the shock plus the length of the clevis. That extra length is too much buckling load for the skinny damper shaft of the DHX coil and it will break.”

Below is a list of clevis compatible rear coil shocks:
Fast
EXT
MRP
Cane Creek
Rock Shox
DVO
Elevensix

Posted: Jul 6, 2022 at 18:29 Quote
Fox told me straight out that the Ripmo destroys shocks.

Fox factory float X2 on a ripmo apparently requires replacement of seals, fluid, body, and damper shaft. ANNUALLY.

I would call that a pretty massive design flaw. That's $250 rent annually on your bike.

Buy something else. I love the way the bike rides, but it's not worth this.

Posted: Aug 13, 2022 at 15:22 Quote
Yeah the yoke driven designs of specialized are very bad on shocks too.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.005658
Mobile Version of Website