custom painting helmets, photos and jibba jabba

PB Forum :: Tutorials
custom painting helmets, photos and jibba jabba
Posted: Jun 1, 2014 at 22:42 Quote
Still painting away, writing articles for some Airbrush trade mags, and doing commissioned artwork.

Just having fun Smile

Posted: Jul 29, 2014 at 15:31 Quote
Just completed my son's custom 20" mountain bike. After painting the frame I sourced some nice components to make this build as awesome as I could. This included a pair of the new Kore 20" Mega wheels, Kore mega bars, Repute stem and pedals and I also ordered some Spinner Air 20 forks. Check out my album for more photos.
Completed custom bike looks amazing.
Completed bike looks amazing.

Posted: Mar 4, 2015 at 5:01 Quote
has anyone ever pinstriped a helmet with one shot paint ? I have a bit of paint leftover and was thinking about doing my new giro cipher ,but im afraid it`ll damage the shell... btw sorry for digging out this old thread Big Grin

Posted: Mar 19, 2015 at 11:33 Quote
Use One Shot all the time on helmets that I paint. In fact I used it for helmets I had in the Vancouver Olympics, which the shells were sent back to the factory after being painted for custom foam inserts, and final safety approval. So pretty confident that it is fine.

O+
Posted: Apr 22, 2015 at 14:34 Quote
What strength grit is best for sanding down a coat of paint before applying the next coat? and also what strength for sanding off the original clear coat?

I painted my D2 years ago (pics on my profile) and I'm looking to do another helmet now but wanted to do a better job and bit more of a complex design this time.

Posted: Apr 27, 2015 at 19:22 Quote
[Quote="JamesOliver"]What strength grit is best for sanding down a coat of paint before applying the next coat?
Helmet or bike?
Why are you sanding down paint between coats?

and also what strength for sanding off the original clear coat?
Helmet or bike?

O+
Posted: May 4, 2015 at 14:15 Quote
Helmet. I was under the impression that people sanded a coat of paint a bit before applying another layer of the same colour but someone has since told me that no one does that?
However, am I right in thinking that you sand a bit of the clear coat before applying another layer?

Posted: May 5, 2015 at 8:38 Quote
JamesOliver wrote:
Helmet. I was under the impression that people sanded a coat of paint a bit before applying another layer of the same colour but someone has since told me that no one does that?
However, am I right in thinking that you sand a bit of the clear coat before applying another layer?

I prep the helmet surface initially by sanding, I paint the design with out ever sanding the painted surface- that sounds crazy-, I send it out to clear coating. the other spray paint thread might have more info regarding clear coating, but I would only have guesses.

O+
Posted: Sep 29, 2015 at 12:03 Quote
I'll join in.

I've custom-painted helmets since I was a young dude; first with regular aerosol paint and whatever old helmet I could find in my dad's garage. From there it evolved into a co-interest into automotive painting and learning about that level of paint & products.

I eventually did design work for a major helmet manufacturer, and now just do it for fun, on rare occasions. Obee1, you have a very loose, traditional style that is very impressive - I grew up racing moto, and pull a ton of influence from that (almost entirely), so my style has always been "race-oriented".

I'm surprised to see that you use Createx (sp?) paint - I've always used automotive paint products; they're expensive, but very robust.

Lately I've been looking at my flat-black Troy Lee A1 as a fun project which is what stirred up this find.

Here is some of my work.

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://kgaspeedmedia.com/downloads/kga-arai-01.jpg
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://kgaspeedmedia.com/downloads/kga-m2r-03.jpg

Posted: Sep 29, 2015 at 12:15 Quote
Nice stuff KGAmoto! Not sure if it has been mentioned in this post, but is using water-based paints, such as createx, the way to go for helmets that wont affect the foam?

KGAmoto - you mention using automotive paints. Would you use that on your A1? could it deteriorate the foam if you dont tape off extremely well? I also have an A1 that I'm want to paint and I have an airbrush, but trying to figure out what is the safest and most durable paint to use.

O+
Posted: Sep 29, 2015 at 13:42 Quote
McNugs wrote:
Nice stuff KGAmoto! Not sure if it has been mentioned in this post, but is using water-based paints, such as createx, the way to go for helmets that wont affect the foam?

KGAmoto - you mention using automotive paints. Would you use that on your A1? could it deteriorate the foam if you dont tape off extremely well? I also have an A1 that I'm want to paint and I have an airbrush, but trying to figure out what is the safest and most durable paint to use.

Yes I will use my automotive paint on the A1 (Dupont Chromabase, primarily). I do not know anything about the water-based products like Createx - I personally would not use that on my projects, as my work is always on sheet metal or hard-shell helmets (fiberglass outer). Maybe it is great stuff, but I don't know any professional helmet painters that use anything but automotive-based paint.

But, automotive paint is crazy expensive. It will not be worth buying for one helmet.

I'm not doing anything elaborate on my A1 though - I may just add my name on the back (like TLD does for Gwin, Zink, etc) and paint the lower part of the helmet to add some color to the monotonous black helmet. I'm kicking around the idea of painting the whole thing, but I have zero free time.

Posted: Jun 28, 2016 at 10:12 Quote
So I have a plain matte black full face helmet that I would like to jazz up a bit with some white detailing. I was looking into getting stickers but I can't seem to find any that would be the right size for where I want them to go on the helmet. I'm thinking of hand painting with a small detail brush the designs on that I want. No doubt I need to use a specific type of paint and then some sort of top coat with a matte finish. Suggestions?

Posted: Sep 6, 2016 at 7:19 Quote
Oh! more painters, wooo! Hope you dont mind if i jump in Smile
I paint full time and finally got around to doing up a custom helmet for myself. (you know how it is, never able to find time for your own projects!)

Here's some pics and video, just needs a quick cuff&buff and reassembly and its ready for the trails.
Video is after cleared, pics are pre-clear

https://www.instagram.com/p/BJ_Vf_ch0ji/

photo

photo

photo

photo

Posted: Sep 6, 2016 at 16:26 Quote
thedownside wrote:
Oh! more painters, wooo! Hope you dont mind if i jump in Smile
I paint full time and finally got around to doing up a custom helmet for myself. (you know how it is, never able to find time for your own projects!)

Here's some pics and video, just needs a quick cuff&buff and reassembly and its ready for the trails.
Video is after cleared, pics are pre-clear

https://www.instagram.com/p/BJ_Vf_ch0ji/

photo

photo

photo

[P=https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/14231918_1167459513312892_4852461006535567897_o.jpg size=m

align=c][/P]

Holy f*cking shitballs. Great work. Post more!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014775
Mobile Version of Website