custom painting helmets, photos and jibba jabba

PB Forum :: Tutorials
custom painting helmets, photos and jibba jabba
| Next Page
Author Message
Posted: Jun 28, 2016 at 10:12 Quote
So I have a plain matte black full face helmet that I would like to jazz up a bit with some white detailing. I was looking into getting stickers but I can't seem to find any that would be the right size for where I want them to go on the helmet. I'm thinking of hand painting with a small detail brush the designs on that I want. No doubt I need to use a specific type of paint and then some sort of top coat with a matte finish. Suggestions?

Posted: Sep 6, 2016 at 7:19 Quote
Oh! more painters, wooo! Hope you dont mind if i jump in Smile
I paint full time and finally got around to doing up a custom helmet for myself. (you know how it is, never able to find time for your own projects!)

Here's some pics and video, just needs a quick cuff&buff and reassembly and its ready for the trails.
Video is after cleared, pics are pre-clear

https://www.instagram.com/p/BJ_Vf_ch0ji/





Posted: Sep 6, 2016 at 16:26 Quote
thedownside wrote:
Oh! more painters, wooo! Hope you dont mind if i jump in Smile
I paint full time and finally got around to doing up a custom helmet for myself. (you know how it is, never able to find time for your own projects!)

Here's some pics and video, just needs a quick cuff&buff and reassembly and its ready for the trails.
Video is after cleared, pics are pre-clear

https://www.instagram.com/p/BJ_Vf_ch0ji/




[P=https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/14231918_1167459513312892_4852461006535567897_o.jpg size=m


align=c][/P]

Holy f*cking shitballs. Great work. Post more!

Posted: Sep 6, 2016 at 19:36 Quote
haha, thanks. I dont actually get to do helmets much, mostly cars and motorcycles, but i'll look threw some pics and see if i can find something somewhat relevant.

Posted: Sep 6, 2016 at 20:54 Quote
thedownside wrote:
haha, thanks. I dont actually get to do helmets much, mostly cars and motorcycles, but i'll look threw some pics and see if i can find something somewhat relevant.

nah mate. post anything. i'd love to see any work.

Posted: Sep 6, 2016 at 21:19 Quote
I'll email you some dick pics I have drawn. You owe me.

Posted: Sep 6, 2016 at 21:53 Quote
obee1 wrote:
thedownside wrote:
haha, thanks. I dont actually get to do helmets much, mostly cars and motorcycles, but i'll look threw some pics and see if i can find something somewhat relevant.

nah mate. post anything. i'd love to see any work.

Rather than fill up here with non-bike stuff, here's just a link to my fb business page, a lot of things are there

https://www.facebook.com/orangeroompaint/

Posted: Sep 7, 2016 at 20:17 Quote
whattheheel wrote:
I'll email you some dick pics I have drawn. You owe me.

you promised me that years ago heely. go ask your mom for pics of my johnson so you can draw while looking at something bigger than a smurfs hat.

Posted: Sep 7, 2016 at 20:28 Quote
thedownside wrote:
obee1 wrote:
thedownside wrote:
haha, thanks. I dont actually get to do helmets much, mostly cars and motorcycles, but i'll look threw some pics and see if i can find something somewhat relevant.

nah mate. post anything. i'd love to see any work.

Rather than fill up here with non-bike stuff, here's just a link to my fb business page, a lot of things are there

https://www.facebook.com/orangeroompaint/

reeeediculous.
if you don't mind, i'd love to hear about what kinda paint you are using, brushes- if you are using them, clear coat work- do you do it?, and your flash work. is it just on plywood?
great work. fun to look thru for sure.

Posted: Sep 9, 2016 at 14:20 Quote
obee1 wrote:
reeeediculous.
if you don't mind, i'd love to hear about what kinda paint you are using, brushes- if you are using them, clear coat work- do you do it?, and your flash work. is it just on plywood?
great work. fun to look thru for sure.

Thanks! I use Createx products exclusively, other than clear - thats typcially spraymax for smaller stuff like masks and helmets, the stuff is bulletproof, and Matrix systems for the clear... id say i end up doing about half of it, my setup isnt big enough to clear full baggers and whatnot, but anything up to 3-4 bike parks i'll often do. For paint, all createx, AutoAir/Wicked for basecoats (and for large areas of wall murals) and the illustration line for the detail work.

Mostly i'm using my collection of Iwata's for most work, but i have a handful of decent airbrushes from some other companies, they all have a place (i have WAY too many airbrushes).

The wood stuff, it is a plywood, i just typically go to a speciallty wood place locally, there stuff is a much higher quality than say a hardware store. still a ton of prep work to do on them, sometimes almost more than its worth.

Posted: Feb 10, 2018 at 20:12 Quote
whalesandowls wrote:
obee1 wrote:
dirtjumper25 wrote:
Hey Obee1. I have a quick question about the flames. How do you do the first layer of flames (say in a stencil). Would I paint in the stencil like green? or white or something?


hey dj. i'll post something up for ya about the stencil, but drawing flames over and over again is the best thing to do. i saw yours and they already look good. so keep drawing them. first layer in white, then on with the green tho.

ok hers the shark detail in the dead sailor helmet;

1811432

1811432


1811430

1811430


1811437

1811437


when i finsihed the boat, water, and skeleton, i took off the frisket that covered the area over the shark i drew on when i first started.

my first coat was a simple grey, and i covered the whole area of the shark. if i wanted it to be very very even- i would then frisket everything that was not the shark, then cover the shit outta everything in grey. but i am getting pretty good at putting the paint exactly where i want it, so i just free heanded the grey. using an iwata HP-B for this. the HP-B is a great all round airgun, my workhorse for sure. i then used my HP-A, which is a tiny brush shooting a real thin stream- to paint a lot of black on the shark. i then went with the smae gun to paint a bunch of blue on the shark- pretty subtle, but without the blue the shark really stands out against the water. so putting blue on it helps the make the shark fit in. then i went to white, and did all the detail i could with white. the createx detail white- i dont remember if i said this already- has a big pigment particle- which sucks imo. because the white can spit outta the gun everywhere. so after i put down all the white, i go back to black and finish more of the detail. i snuck the red in there in the mouth, an di might have used a paint brush to do it. i don't remeber, but i don't hesitate to use a paintbrush for a detail if it needs to be done. some airbrush nazi's get their panties in a bunch at the thought of using a paintbrush instead of a gun, but i figure the only truly committed airbrushing is using a piece of bamboo, your mouth, and pigment that you ground from berries and bones. everything else is a compromise, so nothing is offside imho.

when i got all the paint i wanted on the shark, i went back to the pearl blue-using my HP-C gun, which is quite a big stream- and sprayed over the far pectoral fin and over the tail. i did this because it puts it farther into the background by being kinda covered in a light shade of pearl blue. like the sunken ship, but not so far back.

painting the shark itself took quite a few hours to do, i hope writing this doesnt make it sound like its a doddle.

the clownfish and the angelfish and the seahorse follow a similar pattern, main colour first, secondary colours, then details. i really prefer to use more colour then black and white when painting, especially cobalt blue whenever i can. black can be so flat looking, and the cobalt blue is the best flowing createx colour.

oh, one more thing. the air coming outta the gun needs somewhere to go. DJ this is important, when you are shooting in near a vent hole, or off a curve, the air shooting the paint can come back in toward the gun, or it can go right off from the curve- and it will shoot yer paint everywhere. which sucks.
i'll get into more detail if needed about the clownfish and seahorse later.



THIS IS SICK DUDE!!

Posted: Feb 10, 2018 at 20:15 Quote
Hi pal I like this it is magic I have old bmx helmet I like to put something like that
On mine as I'm pirate theme ships sharks
Octopus did you have stencils as well

Posted: Feb 14, 2018 at 19:50 Quote
whalesandowls wrote:
obee1 wrote:
dirtjumper25 wrote:
Hey Obee1. I have a quick question about the flames. How do you do the first layer of flames (say in a stencil). Would I paint in the stencil like green? or white or something?


hey dj. i'll post something up for ya about the stencil, but drawing flames over and over again is the best thing to do. i saw yours and they already look good. so keep drawing them. first layer in white, then on with the green tho.

ok hers the shark detail in the dead sailor helmet;

1811432

1811432


1811430

1811430


1811437

1811437


when i finsihed the boat, water, and skeleton, i took off the frisket that covered the area over the shark i drew on when i first started.

my first coat was a simple grey, and i covered the whole area of the shark. if i wanted it to be very very even- i would then frisket everything that was not the shark, then cover the shit outta everything in grey. but i am getting pretty good at putting the paint exactly where i want it, so i just free heanded the grey. using an iwata HP-B for this. the HP-B is a great all round airgun, my workhorse for sure. i then used my HP-A, which is a tiny brush shooting a real thin stream- to paint a lot of black on the shark. i then went with the smae gun to paint a bunch of blue on the shark- pretty subtle, but without the blue the shark really stands out against the water. so putting blue on it helps the make the shark fit in. then i went to white, and did all the detail i could with white. the createx detail white- i dont remember if i said this already- has a big pigment particle- which sucks imo. because the white can spit outta the gun everywhere. so after i put down all the white, i go back to black and finish more of the detail. i snuck the red in there in the mouth, an di might have used a paint brush to do it. i don't remeber, but i don't hesitate to use a paintbrush for a detail if it needs to be done. some airbrush nazi's get their panties in a bunch at the thought of using a paintbrush instead of a gun, but i figure the only truly committed airbrushing is using a piece of bamboo, your mouth, and pigment that you ground from berries and bones. everything else is a compromise, so nothing is offside imho.

when i got all the paint i wanted on the shark, i went back to the pearl blue-using my HP-C gun, which is quite a big stream- and sprayed over the far pectoral fin and over the tail. i did this because it puts it farther into the background by being kinda covered in a light shade of pearl blue. like the sunken ship, but not so far back.

painting the shark itself took quite a few hours to do, i hope writing this doesnt make it sound like its a doddle.

the clownfish and the angelfish and the seahorse follow a similar pattern, main colour first, secondary colours, then details. i really prefer to use more colour then black and white when painting, especially cobalt blue whenever i can. black can be so flat looking, and the cobalt blue is the best flowing createx colour.

oh, one more thing. the air coming outta the gun needs somewhere to go. DJ this is important, when you are shooting in near a vent hole, or off a curve, the air shooting the paint can come back in toward the gun, or it can go right off from the curve- and it will shoot yer paint everywhere. which sucks.
i'll get into more detail if needed about the clownfish and seahorse later.



THIS IS SICK DUDE!!

Posted: Feb 14, 2018 at 21:35 Quote
thanks man. i just painted it on there. no stencils. you might consider those KRINK markers as a unique solution to putting the image down- if airbrushing is new to you. appreciate the kind words.

| Next Page

 
Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008756
Mobile Version of Website