2022 Stumpjumper Evo vs 2021 Enduro

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
2022 Stumpjumper Evo vs 2021 Enduro
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jul 22, 2021 at 8:32 Quote
Hi, Looking for feedback and input from anybody who has experience with both bikes. I currently ride a custom built Specialized Enduro, which I love, but saw this week a short window opportunity to buy the new Stumpjumper Evo and jumped on it out of curiousity. I'm still waiting for delivery on the SJ but curious if it's actually the right choice? or if I should return it.

The way I see it on paper is that the Enduro will be more stable/plush on the downhills given its extra travel and weight. While the SJ evo will be more versatile with the adjustable geo and it will climb better given lower weight. Also thinking it will corner better with the much lower BB?

So the question is: Does the SJ Evo hold up on Chunky DH trails? Does it's geometry run out of Travel with 150 out back? With how well the Enduro Pedals? is the Evo actually any better?

Thanks for the help!

Posted: Aug 3, 2021 at 7:45 Quote
Daray wrote:
Hi, Looking for feedback and input from anybody who has experience with both bikes. I currently ride a custom built Specialized Enduro, which I love, but saw this week a short window opportunity to buy the new Stumpjumper Evo and jumped on it out of curiousity. I'm still waiting for delivery on the SJ but curious if it's actually the right choice? or if I should return it.

The way I see it on paper is that the Enduro will be more stable/plush on the downhills given its extra travel and weight. While the SJ evo will be more versatile with the adjustable geo and it will climb better given lower weight. Also thinking it will corner better with the much lower BB?

So the question is: Does the SJ Evo hold up on Chunky DH trails? Does it's geometry run out of Travel with 150 out back? With how well the Enduro Pedals? is the Evo actually any better?

Thanks for the help!

Hey, Daray! I don't know if you have already made your decision on this, but here is a good thread that seems to answer all of your questions here: https://www.mtbr.com/threads/2021-stumpjumper-evo-vs-2020-enduro-what-are-your-thoughts-if-you-have-ridden-both.1181004/

If you have already made your decision, what did you decide to go with? I hope you're happy, whatever you decided for Smile

Posted: Aug 3, 2021 at 9:27 Quote
Hey, Daray! I don't know if you have already made your decision on this, but here is a good thread that seems to answer all of your questions here: https://www.mtbr.com/threads/2021-stumpjumper-evo-vs-2020-enduro-what-are-your-thoughts-if-you-have-ridden-both.1181004/

If you have already made your decision, what did you decide to go with? I hope you're happy, whatever you decided for Smile [/Quote]

Hi @piercea94-- Thanks for sharing that link- that was super insightful.

I did get the Evo delivered and spent about a week parking lot testing it. While just testing it on my street it felt great- noticeably lighter than the enduro when trying to get it in the air-whether bunny hopping, bump jumps, or wooden ramps. I did a paved climb on both the enduro and the evo and the evo was faster by a few seconds, but it didn't feel faster. At this point I decided I'm going to give the evo a go on some trails and in a local enduro race- If I decide it's not for me, I imagine it'll hold it's resell value pretty well. So now I have stripped the bike to a frame,shock, fork combo- I then transfered over all of my components from my enduro- SRAMano drivetrain, shimano brakes, We Are One wheels, tenet cockpit, egron saddle, and bikeyoke dropper. Today I got out for some suspension bracketing and it feels really good so far- Tomorrow, I'm taking it up to race in the Duluth Enduro Series on some pretty technical trails. I have no doubt that the EVO will be the better all rounder for me, but I love enduro races and want to make sure that this bike feels as capable as I need on the toughest trails I ride, before I sell the Enduro frame and the Zeb I've been running with it. I will post an update after my decision is final.

Posted: Aug 11, 2021 at 20:14 Quote
Daray - is it running the Float X out back or DpX2? I am seriously considering the SJ Evo to replace my SJ Evo ... HT from 2014! I am also intrigued by the Rascal and Jeffsy. Where did you finally land... is the Evo a keeper?

Posted: Aug 12, 2021 at 12:32 Quote
j-nerdy wrote:
Daray - is it running the Float X out back or DpX2? I am seriously considering the SJ Evo to replace my SJ Evo ... HT from 2014! I am also intrigued by the Rascal and Jeffsy. Where did you finally land... is the Evo a keeper?

Buy it, it's an awesome bike.

OP will be slower on the SJ EVO, assuming the Enduro is setup properly. But the SJ Evo is more fun, overall.

Posted: Aug 12, 2021 at 17:18 Quote
iliveonnitro wrote:
j-nerdy wrote:

OP will be slower on the SJ EVO, assuming the Enduro is setup properly. But the SJ Evo is more fun, overall.

Do you think they will ever get rid of the pivot point behind the chain stay in favor of the rigid construction on the new SJs?

I bet that makes rippin through corners and the peaks of climbs a breeze.

Posted: Aug 13, 2021 at 9:18 Quote
j-nerdy wrote:
iliveonnitro wrote:
j-nerdy wrote:

Do you think they will ever get rid of the pivot point behind the chain stay in favor of the rigid construction on the new SJs?

The one near the rear axle? I'm not an expert on Horst link suspension designs, but I think that pivot point improves anti-squat and reduces pedal kickback.

Posted: Oct 7, 2021 at 11:40 Quote
I would love to hear your consensus if you've reached one! Cheers!

Posted: Oct 8, 2021 at 8:56 Quote
j-nerdy wrote:
iliveonnitro wrote:
j-nerdy wrote:

Removing that pivot would change the platform from a four bar to a linkage driven single pivot I believe. Though this would improve the pedaling character of the bike the down hill capacity would be lessened. Four bar is much better at separating brake forces from the suspension. Also and maybe from a company stand point offering two linkage types makes for a better market share.

Posted: Oct 31, 2021 at 6:59 Quote
Hey- I realized I never posted an update. After getting the Evo- I’ll say this- it is a sweet bike- seems like they got everything right in it. That said on a race run down a technical DH trail- it is not as composed as the enduro. It won’t keep you from riding those trails, but for me I know I had to slow down a bit. As for climbing- about the same as the enduro- it weights a little less and the lockout on the float x is really firm for road climbs-

I decided to keep the enduro and I sold the Evo-now I’m looking at the alloy Evo.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.006261
Mobile Version of Website