Rear tire - Maxxis Dissector replacement

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Rear tire - Maxxis Dissector replacement
Previous Page |
Posted: Jul 23, 2021 at 18:57 Quote
What's up gang

So I've become quite attached to the Maxxis Dissector but the 29'er casings/compound combos blow..

What I'm really wanting is the Dissector DD with Max Terra (which they don't make) but not Maxx Grip because I rip through the tread in a few rides max or going down to EXO+ I get the MaxTerra and rip through the sidwalls instead - Annoying much

Any good feedback on the following as a rear, oversteering style tire? Kenda Pinner Pro? Spec Eliminator T9? Vittoria tire?

I've run the aggressor a few times because it comes in the casing and compound I want I just can't bare the handling characteristics.

Much appreciated

Posted: Jul 23, 2021 at 19:18 Quote
j6y wrote:
What's up gang

So I've become quite attached to the Maxxis Dissector but the 29'er casings/compound combos blow..

What I'm really wanting is the Dissector DD with Max Terra (which they don't make) but not Maxx Grip because I rip through the tread in a few ride or going down to EXO+ I get the MaxTerra and rip through the sidwalls instead - Annoying much

Any good feedback on the following as a rear, oversteering style tire? Kenda Pinner Pro? Spec Eliminator T9? Vittoria tire?

I've run the aggressor a few times because it comes in the casing and compound I want I just can't bare the handling characteristics.

Much appreciated

i want Dissector DD with max terra too Frown

Posted: Aug 8, 2021 at 11:48 Quote
So I recently did an enduro race on a the Elimator Grid trail T7 2.3 and my thoughts are as follows :

Super fast rolling but it doesn't corner as hard as the dissector 3C MT, it slides a little before hocking up and it doesn't always hook very hard. It leans pretty well and compliments the lean of an Assegai up front but the rubber just isn't sticky enough. I'm considering trying the T7/T9 which as softer shoulder and might actually fix that corner bite

Durability - I got a flat in the centre of the tread so it doesn't quite offer the same protection as the DoubleDown in the centre but the side walls are way better than the EXO+ casing by a long way and at 27psi I get no tire fold compared to a Maxxis tire.

Overall they are great for roosting but racing I'm going to look at the dual compound version/DH casing style tire because it has alot of potential as a good Dissector replacement and for the cost of one Dissector EXO+ you can try two different casing Eliminators!

Posted: Aug 8, 2021 at 11:51 Quote
noideamtber wrote:

i want Dissector DD with max terra too Frown

It sucks man! It's such a great tire

Posted: Aug 8, 2021 at 13:01 Quote
Pair the EXO+ Dissector with Cushcore (insert of your choice).

Or try the Aggressor which they make in DD.

Posted: Aug 8, 2021 at 15:56 Quote
jtwickenden wrote:
Pair the EXO+ Dissector with Cushcore (insert of your choice).

Or try the Aggressor which they make in DD.

I've always run CC in the rear and the lightest casing tire I can get more than a ride out of is a EXO+ but after a few hundred miles they always end up in snake bites running 28psi. My location is very rocky

As for the Aggressor it's a totally different tire and I cannot stand the way it handles in my location. It's my least favourite Maxxis tire.

Any other suggestions!?

Posted: Aug 8, 2021 at 22:31 Quote
Minion Semi-slick?

Posted: Aug 9, 2021 at 15:14 Quote
Maxxis needs more dual compound options with thicker sidewalls haha. Like you, I can't make Maxx Terras last in the rear but dual compounds do well and last longer. Unfortunately almost all are regular exo casing. My go-tos lately are DHR2 dual compound exo with Cush Core XC or Aggressor dual compound exo with Cush Core XC.

Posted: Aug 9, 2021 at 21:59 Quote
j6y wrote:

Any other suggestions!?

Just go with DHR2. It's not great to pedal but not that bad either. You can't get DHF in DD/maxxterra either. I tried Michelin Wild Enduro and it was a very good tire but not as good as DHR in any category. Tried the Vittoria Mazza in the enduro casing and the sidewall is made out of plywood. Wouldn't hold the bead on an admittedly too small 25mm ID rim although people seem to like the trail casing so maybe that would work with an insert.

Posted: Aug 10, 2021 at 8:23 Quote
jtwickenden wrote:
Minion Semi-slick?

I've run one in the past but in my current location it would be pretty scary, loose over had all over the place. Plus with all the exposed ridge riding I do it'd be nice to have some braking performance

Posted: Aug 10, 2021 at 8:34 Quote
bdreynolds7 wrote:
Maxxis needs more dual compound options with thicker sidewalls haha. Like you, I can't make Maxx Terras last in the rear but dual compounds do well and last longer. Unfortunately almost all are regular exo casing. My go-tos lately are DHR2 dual compound exo with Cush Core XC or Aggressor dual compound exo with Cush Core XC.

It's rough man, I just can't get along with the aggressor - I got around 500miles with my last DD on the rear but can't say I enjoyed riding it at all but it held up. I found the Eliminator to handle better if I'm honest, I'm just not sure they are on par yet though.

I went back to a DHR2 periodically when I got a flat out of town (just another dead exo+ Dissector lol) with a coil out back I just can't enjoy a DHR2, it makes me pedal alot DH and cry uphill - I ran a worn DHF out back years ago and it was pretty good but it was worn

Posted: Aug 10, 2021 at 8:41 Quote
friendlyfoe wrote:
j6y wrote:

Any other suggestions!?

Just go with DHR2. It's not great to pedal but not that bad either. You can't get DHF in DD/maxxterra either. I tried Michelin Wild Enduro and it was a very good tire but not as good as DHR in any category. Tried the Vittoria Mazza in the enduro casing and the sidewall is made out of plywood. Wouldn't hold the bead on an admittedly too small 25mm ID rim although people seem to like the trail casing so maybe that would work with an insert.

The DHR2 is ok, on a coiled bike I just don't enjoy the insane amount if grip and feeling like I need to pedal DH to keep momentum or take an option line etc. Even riding park they feel slow as hell

They do make a DHF in 29x2.5 in DD, I ran a worn one out back a few years ago and it was great but it was also worn but I might consider trying it again.

What didn't you like about the MW Enduros? I've had my eye on the Mazza's also

Posted: Aug 10, 2021 at 11:52 Quote
Rocking Specialized Eliminator Grid 27.5x2.3 F and R. Also bought a pair of Butcher since they were on sale for $35 a pop.

Posted: Aug 10, 2021 at 12:07 Quote
j6y wrote:
jtwickenden wrote:
Minion Semi-slick?

I've run one in the past but in my current location it would be pretty scary, loose over had all over the place. Plus with all the exposed ridge riding I do it'd be nice to have some braking performance

Try a Minion DHF then, less draggy than a DHR but still decent traction.

Posted: Aug 10, 2021 at 20:49 Quote
j6y wrote:

The DHR2 is ok, on a coiled bike I just don't enjoy the insane amount if grip and feeling like I need to pedal DH to keep momentum or take an option line etc. Even riding park they feel slow as hell

They do make a DHF in 29x2.5 in DD, I ran a worn one out back a few years ago and it was great but it was also worn but I might consider trying it again.

What didn't you like about the MW Enduros? I've had my eye on the Mazza's also

The Mazza in the enduro casing might as well be made of plywood. Even though it's the same construction as double down I think Maxxis could go to 6 ply and still have more compliance than the Vittoria enduro casing. Compound was just okay too. High rebound which is amazing for climbing up steep pitches (it literally drives you up the incline) but braking traction is non existent and cornering traction maybe 6.5 out of 10. I only ran it on the rear and had to drop from 28psi with any other tire to around 24 just to make it work but was constantly losing air (mounted to a 25mm ID rim, but still).

If you can get DD DHF in 29er that's probably your best option. And I also feel like the DHR2 in maxxterra rolls faster than the Michelin Wild Enduro rear. That's the only other one I've tried.

Previous Page |

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.005761
Mobile Version of Website