Rear tire - Maxxis Dissector replacement

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Rear tire - Maxxis Dissector replacement
| Next Page
Posted: Aug 11, 2021 at 4:15 Quote
I run the EXO+ Dissector with an insert, best rear tire I ever had I think. But yeah, if you live somewhere rocky and are prone to slashing your tires, not the greatest idea.

I really hope Maxxis plans a DD Maxxterra version. Would be an instant buy.

Aggressor doesn't have the same grip and sucks in the wet.
DHRII is way slower, and the grip is not that much better except in extreme cases IME.

The Michelin Wild Enduro rear could be an option ? Never tried it, but from what I heard, great grip, faster than a DHRII and a great combo of slash resistance vs weight. I would probably run that if the Dissector didn't exist.

A friend was running the SG Hans Dampf at the rear, it was quite good too.

Posted: Sep 13, 2022 at 16:32 Quote
Maybe they've released it or something I'm confused but in the Maxxis website they do sell the DD Maxxterra compound in the dissector: "TB00350300" is the codename. They are expensive as hell though.

O+
Posted: Sep 13, 2022 at 17:05 Quote
ZhengZL wrote:
Maybe they've released it or something I'm confused but in the Maxxis website they do sell the DD Maxxterra compound in the dissector: "TB00350300" is the codename. They are expensive as hell though.

Great find they must have just released it 'under the radar'.. I've wanted this combo for years, thanks for the heads up

As for cost, always with maxxis. I can buy two maxxis dirtbike tires over one mtb tire!!

Posted: Sep 14, 2022 at 5:31 Quote
Check out Continental's new Xynotal, which is their hardpack tire. I've seen it described as a cross between a DHR and Aggressor. It is said to compare favorably with the Dissector for grip and rolling speed but be more durable. I have one and really like it but have a limited number of rides on it.

Posted: Sep 14, 2022 at 18:59 Quote
The new Conti offerings are the first tires outside of Maxxis I actually want to try. Heard good things about Specialized tires but never been that motivated. Will check them out! Don’t remember their weight but I think it’s similar if not ~50g lighter than DD.

O+
Posted: Sep 14, 2022 at 20:33 Quote
I guess it always depends on your terrain and riding, but I quite like the Bontrager SE4 on the rear.

I think slightly faster rolling than the Dissector, with a rounder profile. I find it has a nice natural feeling lean and progressive breakaway, but doesn't bite into soft/loose surfaces quite as well as the Dissector.

I have it paired with an SE5 on the front, which is similar pattern to a DHR2 but feels much less draggy.

Not sure how the casing compares with others, I don't ride much sharp rocky stuff and hardly ever get punctures with any tyres. I found Bontrager XR casings quite squirmy, but no complaints with the SE.

Posted: Sep 15, 2022 at 6:45 Quote
I am very happy with the new Michelin Wild AM2. Looks like a baby DH22. Weight is on par with exo+ casings, rolls well, grips well. I got softer one as it was the only option at the time, wears quickly in bone dry conditions we had over the summer.

https://www.michelinman.com/bicycle/tires/michelin-wild-am2-competition-line?tyreSize=29

Posted: Sep 15, 2022 at 9:44 Quote
Even the maxterra version only lasts about 2 months before its unsafe, the side knobs start showing tears almost immediately. The maxxgrip version is nothing but a scam, not sure how many suckers there are out there that would purchase a maxxgrip Dissector more than once.

I would only ever buy that tire again in DC, but theyll never offer DC in anything above EXO because it seems the goal for that tire is to scam people.

O+
Posted: Sep 16, 2022 at 6:46 Quote
j6y wrote:
ZhengZL wrote:

Great find they must have just released it 'under the radar'.. I've wanted this combo for years, thanks for the heads up

As for cost, always with maxxis. I can buy two maxxis dirtbike tires over one mtb tire!!

Where are you buying Maxxis moto tires so cheap?! Hook it up! I like the desert ITs but for a 18" they retail around $150-$170 a tire.

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2023. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.016990
Mobile Version of Website