How many bikes?

Author Message
Posted: Jul 27, 2021 at 11:27 Quote
Currently 2, a Cube Hyde with Shimano Alfine hub for commuting and an Ibis Mojo HDR full sus.
I had a Cube Stereo from 2012 as well but that was rebuilt and handed down to my son amid nasty noises from my wife.
"Why do you need THREE F******g bikes, you can only ride one at a time!"

Posted: Jul 27, 2021 at 21:19 Quote
I got 2 bikes atm
2018 Kona Procces 165 AL
2015 Specialized Pseries
I love my bikes Smile ))))))

Posted: Jul 27, 2021 at 22:05 Quote
Anyone else end up disliking having too many bikes?

I was at 5 in the beginning of covid, now I'm down to a gravel and enduro. I had an enduro, gravel, downhill, a commuter and DJ. outside of the DJ and commuter they were 1-2 year old bikes.

Basically I was sick of taking the time to maintain them and spending the $$. new tires, $200. new rotors, $150, new pads, suspension rebuilds, etc etc. It got annoying doing the work myself as well.

Feels freeing having less bikes, and easier to justify spending the $$ on better parts when you only have 2 of them, although I will admit I have a lot of hobbies so it isn't the only thing that gets my time and money

Posted: Jul 27, 2021 at 22:09 Quote
was at 4, road, trail, enduro and dh.

just down to road and a traduro(am)... best thing ever

Posted: Jul 28, 2021 at 1:49 Quote
lkjk wrote:
Anyone else end up disliking having too many bikes?

I was at 5 in the beginning of covid, now I'm down to a gravel and enduro. I had an enduro, gravel, downhill, a commuter and DJ. outside of the DJ and commuter they were 1-2 year old bikes.

Basically I was sick of taking the time to maintain them and spending the $$. new tires, $200. new rotors, $150, new pads, suspension rebuilds, etc etc. It got annoying doing the work myself as well.

Feels freeing having less bikes, and easier to justify spending the $$ on better parts when you only have 2 of them, although I will admit I have a lot of hobbies so it isn't the only thing that gets my time and money

Im just getting into the bike mechanics so I quite enjoy that. But there is never a time when all bikes are running perfect and when a few larger items need replaced at once its definitely a financial burden.

Posted: Jul 28, 2021 at 6:19 Quote
mark-p wrote:
Currently 2, a Cube Hyde with Shimano Alfine hub for commuting and an Ibis Mojo HDR full sus.
I had a Cube Stereo from 2012 as well but that was rebuilt and handed down to my son amid nasty noises from my wife.
"Why do you need THREE F******g bikes, you can only ride one at a time!"

Your last sentence is kind of ironic since you have 2 bikes. Some guys with 8 bikes may have too many, but I could understand 5 or 6. Road, Gravel, XC/Trail, Enduro, Downhill, and some even want mopeds. Personally I don’t mix pedals with motors, but many love these new E-mopeds.

Posted: Jul 29, 2021 at 1:49 Quote
I've got 7.
4 MTBs; hardtail hack/bad weather bike, titanium hardtail (90's XC race bike kept for nostalgic reasons), short travel trail bike (main MTB), longer travel 'enduro' bike for harder terrain days.
3 road; 80s road bike (kept for nostalgic reasons) 90s road bike for bad weather and commuting, and a Modern carbon road bike.

I could easily have more; I no longer have a DH bike and I dont have a E-bike, plus my newest bike is some how a 2017! But I'm good for a few years I reckon.

Posted: Jul 29, 2021 at 11:13 Quote
DonLopez wrote:
mark-p wrote:
Currently 2, a Cube Hyde with Shimano Alfine hub for commuting and an Ibis Mojo HDR full sus.
I had a Cube Stereo from 2012 as well but that was rebuilt and handed down to my son amid nasty noises from my wife.
"Why do you need THREE F******g bikes, you can only ride one at a time!"

Your last sentence is kind of ironic since you have 2 bikes. Some guys with 8 bikes may have too many, but I could understand 5 or 6. Road, Gravel, XC/Trail, Enduro, Downhill, and some even want mopeds. Personally I don’t mix pedals with motors, but many love these new E-mopeds.

She can get the plot on the commuting bike, it is clearly very different to the the full suspension so two is just about acceptable. It is also a lot cheaper!!!!!!

Posted: Jul 30, 2021 at 5:16 Quote
2 X road
1 X MTB
1 X CX
1 X track
1 X electric folder

Posted: Jul 30, 2021 at 5:49 Quote
If I increase the number of bikes, I can spend less time on each. And if my collection is gathering dust in the garage, while quickly losing value, that to me seems like throwing money away.

I'm at three (1981 Gazelle road bike, Commencal Furious, Skream Magnum 20 fixed gear).

Posted: Jul 30, 2021 at 9:19 Quote
unfortunately with kids, work, normal "grown-up" stuff, I find myself with limited time to ride....but I do ride all of them Wink

Rode the Allez on a good long road ride one weekend, then took the Cannondale to Hilton Head the next. A month or so prior I went to Tennessee and took Stinky and my daughter took her Scrap.

In winter I'd hit the path on the fatbike, but mostly hit the trails on Stinky. I'll take the Rockhopper "retro gravel bike" on the path for a quick morning ride before work.

Going to head out now to LBS on the Cannondale. Beer

Posted: Jul 31, 2021 at 1:29 Quote
Yeah Im lucky enough to ride all of mine, weekly, most of the time Smile Except the old roadie/second graveller, need to sell those, work in progress.

Posted: Aug 2, 2021 at 5:38 Quote
stoo61 wrote:
Yeah Im lucky enough to ride all of mine, weekly, most of the time Smile Except the old roadie/second graveller, need to sell those, work in progress.

which one is the old roadie ??

Posted: Aug 2, 2021 at 8:06 Quote
adm750 wrote:
stoo61 wrote:
Yeah Im lucky enough to ride all of mine, weekly, most of the time Smile Except the old roadie/second graveller, need to sell those, work in progress.

which one is the old roadie ??

Giant Defy Adv 1 - 2016.

Posted: Aug 2, 2021 at 8:35 Quote
stoo61 wrote:
adm750 wrote:
stoo61 wrote:
Yeah Im lucky enough to ride all of mine, weekly, most of the time Smile Except the old roadie/second graveller, need to sell those, work in progress.

which one is the old roadie ??

Giant Defy Adv 1 - 2016.

shit stoo, I thought you said "old" lol lol Wink

Although it has a few 'updates', I bought this new in 1984....and still ride it.


EDIT: btw...very cool bikes in your profile bro Salute


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006517
Mobile Version of Website