long or medium derailleur?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
long or medium derailleur?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jul 26, 2021 at 12:13 Quote
Cracked my derailleur cage on the weekend and looking at replacing my old Shimano Deore XT 10 spd. My current set up is 1 x 10 with 11-36 in the back and a 24(?) tooth ring in the front. Yes this set up isn't great, but ill be addressing that later.

So my question is, do I get a long or medium cage derailleur? I think the current one is long (apprx 10cm center to center on the pulleys). It works okay, but I get a lot of chain slapping on the downhill. Maybe I'd benefit from a medium cage or maybe stick with the long and loose a couple links in the chain. Thoughts?

Cheers!

Posted: Jul 26, 2021 at 22:20 Quote
You will be better off with a medium cage for any 1x drivetrain. Long cages are more suited to multiple chainring set ups.

Cage length suitability is dictated by not exceeding your max drivetrain capacity figure.

You're drivetrain capacity as it is now is only 25t (11-36=25) so you theoretically could use a short cage derailleur.

I'd recomend a medium cage derailleur with a clutch to reduce chain slap if you can find one.

To keep it simple and reckon it could be a good time to upgrade your whole set up? A 1x11 with an 11-42/46 cassette and a 30/32t chainring for plenty of gear range. There should be a few suitable medium cage (35t drivetrain capacity), clutch derailleurs around at a reasonable price now 1x12 is the most popular. Wink

Posted: Jul 27, 2021 at 3:36 Quote
seje wrote:
Cracked my derailleur cage on the weekend and looking at replacing my old Shimano Deore XT 10 spd. My current set up is 1 x 10 with 11-36 in the back and a 24(?) tooth ring in the front. Yes this set up isn't great, but ill be addressing that later.

So my question is, do I get a long or medium cage derailleur? I think the current one is long (apprx 10cm center to center on the pulleys). It works okay, but I get a lot of chain slapping on the downhill. Maybe I'd benefit from a medium cage or maybe stick with the long and loose a couple links in the chain. Thoughts?

Cheers!
You always get shortest possible deraileur with enough tooth capacity for your cassete. For chain slapping deraileur clutch works wonders, if still annoyed by slap then for chain tensioner + some soft rubber protection on chainstay. That will help most.

Posted: Jul 27, 2021 at 11:02 Quote
Thank you! That helped a lot! Cheers

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.005031
Mobile Version of Website