How do I break old jumping habits?!

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
How do I break old jumping habits?!
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jul 26, 2021 at 16:20 Quote
Ok, so I need help with jumping. Correction. Advice. Pointers. Anything. And it's not just me. At least one of my friends is learning to jump too, after being a very competent overall mountain bike rider. The problem is that I have been riding, racing, downhilling etc, for Years. Like... 20 years. I will hit almost anything I find on the trail. But taking those skills to dirt jumps just doesn't seem to cross over.
I think I must be missing something really basic, because I can jump stuff that needs to be hit fast. A-line in Whistler, Crabapple hits, Dirt merchant (before the re-vamp), but when it comes to slower stuff, I just can't seem to manage. I think that means I am using speed as a band-aid for lack of skill. That sounds about right anyway.
I know other people have been in this situation.
Has anyone SOLVED it?

Posted: Aug 2, 2021 at 14:01 Quote
session some smaller jumps.

Posted: Aug 4, 2021 at 14:44 Quote
The rear shock really affects how a bike performs on a pump track type of jumps. Try increasing the shock pressure or putting it in climb mode. There is a reason people prefer hard tails on pump tracks.

Posted: Aug 7, 2021 at 11:59 Quote
Hey, realizing that you need to change something is a good place to start from.

If you're using speed to clear jumps, it's probably worth spending some time sessioning dirt or BMX style jumps. What you might be looking for in basic terms would be something along the lines of https://ridelikeaninja.com/2018/10/23/pro-jumping-techniques-revealed/

An excerpt: "You can clear a gap/table using speed and/or COMPRESSION. Just because you are clearing a table with speed, doesn’t mean you’ve got the compression right. Slow down and try to clear the jump with compression (rather than speed)."

Spend some time using your phone or a gopro to get some video of what you're doing and use whatever info source you find appropriate to go from there.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.005286
Mobile Version of Website