What's your tire pressure?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
What's your tire pressure?
Posted: Jul 29, 2021 at 20:50 Quote
aarong133 wrote:
Kidklayko wrote:
aarong133 wrote:
Don't know how you +200 lb riders are riding less than 25 psi in the rear. I tried it for a time last year (w/o rim protection) and I was getting a flat every 3 or 4 rides. Tried it again this year once I got cushcore and my tires were burping like crazy. Not too mention I was getting the occasional rim impact (over the cushcore). Maybe I just have poor line choice
what tires are you running? Are they Dh casing? How wide are your rims? These could all contribute to why your getting flats.

Tires were WTB Judge 2.4 w/ tough/high drip casing mounted on We Are One Union rims (30 mm). Tires were tough as hell but I was still getting flats running 25 psi; over 28 psi and I was ok. I've since added cushcore and haven't had a flat yet, but I'm still running 28 psi. Experimented with lower psi but it was burping lots (lots of sealant juice on the rim after every ride).

What casing are you running, I got WTB in the dh casing for over a year and I haven't got a flat until yesterday, but I had no sealant either so... Maybe it's my rims, cause I ran WTB for a while and experienced many flats as well on a different bike with different rims.

Posted: Jul 29, 2021 at 22:35 Quote
Kidklayko wrote:
aarong133 wrote:
Kidklayko wrote:
what tires are you running? Are they Dh casing? How wide are your rims? These could all contribute to why your getting flats.

Tires were WTB Judge 2.4 w/ tough/high drip casing mounted on We Are One Union rims (30 mm). Tires were tough as hell but I was still getting flats running 25 psi; over 28 psi and I was ok. I've since added cushcore and haven't had a flat yet, but I'm still running 28 psi. Experimented with lower psi but it was burping lots (lots of sealant juice on the rim after every ride).

What casing are you running, I got WTB in the dh casing for over a year and I haven't got a flat until yesterday, but I had no sealant either so... Maybe it's my rims, cause I ran WTB for a while and experienced many flats as well on a different bike with different rims.

Tough casing. Needed a gorilla to pull the tire off the rim.

Posted: Jul 31, 2021 at 22:26 Quote
aarong133 wrote:
Kidklayko wrote:
aarong133 wrote:

So that's not just me, good to know. Any one have a good way to pull it off?

Posted: Aug 2, 2021 at 15:10 Quote
Kidklayko wrote:
aarong133 wrote:
Kidklayko wrote:

Once the tire is deflated, line up the tire beads in the centre of the rim around the entire circumference of the rim. Then get your tire iron under a bead and pull it over the rim. Getting the beads in the centre makes it a lot easier.

Posted: Aug 3, 2021 at 6:14 Quote
aarong133 wrote:
Kidklayko wrote:
aarong133 wrote:

Once the tire is deflated, line up the tire beads in the centre of the rim around the entire circumference of the rim. Then get your tire iron under a bead and pull it over the rim. Getting the beads in the centre makes it a lot easier.

Having troubles removing tire off the rim completely, or having problems breaking the bead? My bontrager wheels hold the tire on so tight it's sometimes a hassle just to break the bead free to even get a tire lever under it

Posted: Aug 4, 2021 at 6:24 Quote
East side of the Canadian Rockies riding (lots of winch and plummet, mix of rocky and rooty hardpack, generally rough-ish on the shuttled high traffic trails). Because of limited Lefty fork travel, the rougher plummets are usually taken at moderate speeds especially if the trees are narrow.

I'm riding a 2009 Cannondale Rize with 26" narrow rims, DHF 2.5 super tacky upfront (20 psig), DHR 2.35 EXO 3C out back (23 psig).

Only switched to tubeless this year using skinny strippers (non-tubeless wheels), but the wheels were near impossible to mount up the tires (so tight) that I probably didn't need to worry about using the skinny strippers. Zero flats and zero burping so far but I do pump them up each ride (probably losing 2-3 psig/week).

Posted: Aug 19, 2021 at 20:24 Quote
Older thread but one thing I've found that really helps me get my tires off the rim is to ride the flat for a little while. It really helps break the bead off the rim.

Posted: Aug 19, 2021 at 23:03 Quote
danger13 wrote:
Older thread but one thing I've found that really helps me get my tires off the rim is to ride the flat for a little while. It really helps break the bead off the rim.

That is a surefire way to not only damage your tyres, but maybe your rims too

Imagine if a garage used that same technique to get the tyres off your car, you'd be pretty pissed

Posted: Aug 20, 2021 at 4:48 Quote
danger13 wrote:

Might as well use some side cutters on the tire and be done with it, instead of trying your best to wreck a rim while you are at it.

Posted: Aug 24, 2021 at 17:28 Quote
I'm wondering why manufacturers put tire presure ranges on the side of tires but everyone seems to run less. My maxxis have a range of 35-50 on the side but I find them to work best in the mid twenties. Same thing for the Micheline wilds recommended at 26.1, I run them at 22. I don't have liners and am running tubeless. I've worn through an entire set of maxxis at 25+- psi and never had any issues. For the record I'm 5-11, 195lbs and ride a 5010 v4.

Posted: Aug 24, 2021 at 17:42 Quote
Wouldn't your answer depend if you are running tubeless or not? I don't see folks here specifying.

Posted: Aug 25, 2021 at 7:56 Quote
RonM605 wrote:
Wouldn't your answer depend if you are running tubeless or not? I don't see folks here specifying.
Why would someone run tubes these days?

Posted: Aug 25, 2021 at 8:20 Quote
160 lbs, kitted up.

Bike: 2021 Specialized Enduro

Front: 19psi. Maxxxis Assegai 2.5 WT, EXO, CushCore XC

Rear: 21psi. Maxxis Minion DHR, 2.4 WT, EXO, CushCore XC

Intermediate rider, loose over hard and somewhat rocky Colorado Front Range terrain. I’ve got bad memories from taking out 2 rims in one month back in 2018 and have been using inserts ever since.

Next tire change, though, I’m thinking I’ll remove the CushCore and switch to something with a thicker casing and softer rubber.

Posted: Aug 25, 2021 at 14:33 Quote
RonM605 wrote:

That's cause nobody runs tubes for serious mtbs anymore. There all tubeless.

Posted: Aug 25, 2021 at 15:03 Quote
6’1”
210lbs

Front assguy DH casing 2.5 20psi
Rear DHF DH casing 2.5 30psi

Tubeless
No more tire inserts

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.006732
Mobile Version of Website