Explain to me "DH rated" helmets!

PB Forum :: Downhill
Explain to me "DH rated" helmets!
Previous Page |
Author Message
Posted: Jul 26, 2021 at 21:06 Quote
I currently own a TLD Stage helmet which works well for enduro riding (pedaling up and down). Can't seem to get away from the "you should get a real DH helmet" statements at the bike park though. My Stage helmet does meet DH standards, would it be worth it for me to get a "real DH helmet"? It's clear to me real DH helmets are more robust but I tend to think of helmets as an item that is a crash once and replace it type thing, even if its a $600 "real DH helmet". Maybe I am off in my thinking here?

Posted: Jul 27, 2021 at 17:06 Quote
Don't think too deep into it. that was a child who thinks they know everything. like the D-bag child who years ago on the Show us your DH bike thread tried to tell me my 2001 straight 8 wasn't worthy of being a downhill bike because it didn't cost "$5000".. too bad for that moron that the Straight8 and DH8/9 probably cost upwards of $8-9k with modern day adjustments. As far as "dh helmet", eff'em.

Posted: Jul 28, 2021 at 10:52 Quote
bdreynolds7 wrote:
I currently own a TLD Stage helmet which works well for enduro riding (pedaling up and down). Can't seem to get away from the "you should get a real DH helmet" statements at the bike park though. My Stage helmet does meet DH standards, would it be worth it for me to get a "real DH helmet"? It's clear to me real DH helmets are more robust but I tend to think of helmets as an item that is a crash once and replace it type thing, even if its a $600 "real DH helmet". Maybe I am off in my thinking here?

I wear a Stage for general enduro riding as well. Love that helmet. I've used it once at the park but not anymore. Often see others using it.

For park days I wear a D4. Sustained speeds are generally always higher at the park. You got one head, get the most protection for your head as possible. Get a DH helmet of whatever brand fits you the best.

Posted: Jul 28, 2021 at 11:18 Quote
CSdirt wrote:
I wear a Stage for general enduro riding as well. Love that helmet. I've used it once at the park but not anymore. Often see others using it.

For park days I wear a D4. Sustained speeds are generally always higher at the park. You got one head, get the most protection for your head as possible. Get a DH helmet of whatever brand fits you the best.

This is where the confusion hits lol. If both pass DH standards and both would still need to be replaced after a crash, why get a D4 or similar? Maybe the DH rating is the bare minimum? I would think the heavier helmets would go through even more testing to justify the extra cost of them but doesn't seem to be the case.

Posted: Jul 28, 2021 at 13:22 Quote
as long as it has MIPS Technology .. My SIXSIXONE full face has that and under $200

Posted: Jul 28, 2021 at 13:37 Quote
More and bigger vents means more chances of stuff poking through. Imagine your helmet meets a pointy rock or branch right where a vent is at 30mph.

Posted: Jul 28, 2021 at 13:50 Quote
Aptlynamed wrote:
More and bigger vents means more chances of stuff poking through. Imagine your helmet meets a pointy rock or branch right where a vent is at 30mph.

This is the first reasonable argument I've heard for a heavier duty helmet haha

Posted: Jul 28, 2021 at 13:56 Quote
I don't know if it's the case with the TLD Stage, but i have read that for helmets with lots of vents, since there is less foam liner, the foam liner is usally made very hard to pass the impact requirements . This may protect you from hard hits but may not be so great for lesser impacts that are not tested by the standard.

Posted: Jul 28, 2021 at 14:02 Quote
Aptlynamed wrote:
More and bigger vents means more chances of stuff poking through. Imagine your helmet meets a pointy rock or branch right where a vent is at 30mph.

I don't think i've ever heard of anything like that happening in my 25years of being in the biking world

Posted: Jul 28, 2021 at 14:18 Quote
bdreynolds7 wrote:
This is where the confusion hits lol. If both pass DH standards and both would still need to be replaced after a crash, why get a D4 or similar? Maybe the DH rating is the bare minimum? I would think the heavier helmets would go through even more testing to justify the extra cost of them but doesn't seem to be the case.

Yeah you've got it right, bare minimum.

Posted: Jul 28, 2021 at 14:43 Quote
Aptlynamed wrote:
I don't know if it's the case with the TLD Stage, but i have read that for helmets with lots of vents, since there is less foam liner, the foam liner is usally made very hard to pass the impact requirements . This may protect you from hard hits but may not be so great for lesser impacts that are not tested by the standard.

Luckily the Stage has MIPS

Posted: Aug 15, 2021 at 20:36 Quote
Well I had a Fox Proframe before, loved the air vents etc. I had a small crash and the helmet cracked. The cushioning is very limited in the Fox Proframe as well. I also read on the Internet after my accident that many people that crashed with those lightweight/breathable helmets tend to get faster a concussion. Not shocked by that knowing how that Fox Proframe was protected inside.

After that, I bought the Fox Rampage Pro Carbon and I feel much safer in that helmet. Much much better cushioning, and robust.

I will never get another lightweight airflowy helmet for DH racing.

So not sure how they rate the DH on these helmets. But from my experience I find these lightweight / breathable helmets not safe for DH.
For normal trail riding I can see them being useful.

Posted: Aug 16, 2021 at 0:54 Quote
I read here that when more vents are added to a helmet, since there is less foam, harder types of foam are used in order to pass the impact tests. Harder foam may save you from big impacts and skull fracture, but may not be good for smaller impacts that still cause concussions.

Posted: Aug 16, 2021 at 13:11 Quote
Look into Smith WaveCel. My friend recently went OTB at a fairly high speed into a tree, head-on. He was wearing a Smith Mainline helmet. He said he could feel the helmet just absorb the impact. He walked away without even so much as a concussion. My wife and I bought that helmet the very next week.

As for those standards, they are a minimum. Some helmets, like the Smith Mainline, go well beyond it.

Posted: Aug 16, 2021 at 15:36 Quote
kpdemello wrote:
Look into Smith WaveCel. My friend recently went OTB at a fairly high speed into a tree, head-on. He was wearing a Smith Mainline helmet. He said he could feel the helmet just absorb the impact. He walked away without even so much as a concussion. My wife and I bought that helmet the very next week.

As for those standards, they are a minimum. Some helmets, like the Smith Mainline, go well beyond it.

I am a HUGE helmet advocate. even more so after getting a concussion after falling when I was skiing wearing a helmet that more than likely saved my life. I felt nauseous and dizzy for 6months after the fall

Previous Page |

 
Active Forum Threads
1 mins ago - Most Effective Money Spells to Get Rich in South Africa +27735257866 USA,UK,Canada,Lesotho,Zambia,Zimbabwe (BMX)
3 mins ago - High Quality SSD Solution for Cleaning Black Money in South Africa +27735257866 Zambia,Zimbabwe,Botswana,Lesotho
7 mins ago - YT Jeffsy 29 Thread
8 mins ago - Crank question…need a little help
9 mins ago - The Sexiest AM/FR/Enduro Hardtail Thread (Please read the opening post)
12 mins ago - SSD Chemical for Defaced Notes in South Africa +27735257866 Zambia,Zimbabwe,Botswana,Lesotho,Swaziland,Kenya
13 mins ago - Ssd Super Automatic Solution in South Africa +27735257866 Zambia,Zimbabwe,Botswana,Lesotho,Swaziland
14 mins ago - Old Riders....But not "Old School"
14 mins ago - DX-1 SSD Solution and Activation Powder in South Africa +27735257866 Zambia,Zimbabwe,Botswana,Lesotho
16 mins ago - Black Money Cleaning SSD Chemicals suppliers +27735257866 in South Africa,Zambia,Zimbabwe,Botswana
16 mins ago - Trek Slash 2021 ?
17 mins ago - Burnaby Biking
42 mins ago - All Things Meta 29er!
48 mins ago - Osta gamma-butyrolaktoni GBL verkossa, Osta fenyyliasetoni verkosta, (BMX)
48 mins ago - Kjøp gamma-butyrolakton GBL online, kjøp fenylaceton online, kjøp GBL online, (BMX)
48 mins ago - Cumpărați gamma butirolactonă GBL online, Cumpărați fenilacetonă online, (BMX)
49 mins ago - Køb gamma butyrolacton GBL online, Køb Phenylacetone online, Køb GBL online, (BMX)
49 mins ago - Nakupujte gama butyrolakton GBL online, Nakupujte fenylaceton online, (BMX)
49 mins ago - Kup gamma butyrolakton GBL online, Kup fenyloaceton online, Kup GBL online, (BMX)
49 mins ago - Köp gamma-butyrolakton GBL online, Köp fenylaceton online, köp GBL online, (BMX)
50 mins ago - Compre gamma butirolactona GBL en línea, compre fenilacetona en línea, (BMX)
50 mins ago - Compre gama butirolactona GBL online, compre fenilacetona online, compre GBL online, (BMX)
51 mins ago - Acquista gamma butirrolattone GBL online, Acquista fenilacetone online, Acquista GBL online, (BMX)
51 mins ago - Gamma-Butyrolacton GBL online kaufen, Phenylaceton online kaufen, GBL online kaufen, (BMX)
52 mins ago - Acheter du gamma butyrolactone GBL en ligne, Acheter de la phénylacétone en ligne, (BMX)

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.005372
Mobile Version of Website