Upgrading brake levers only

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Upgrading brake levers only
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jul 27, 2021 at 8:14 Quote
Hi folks, I have a Giant Fathom 2018. All parts are stock. Brake levers are Shimano M365 with 2 pot calipers.

Looking for some help/info please. I'll be sticking with Shimano so was wondering if you just upgrade the levers or would I need to upgrade the whole system - levers, hoses & calipers?

Cheers!

Posted: Jul 27, 2021 at 9:46 Quote
crooksywooksy wrote:
Hi folks, I have a Giant Fathom 2018. All parts are stock. Brake levers are Shimano M365 with 2 pot calipers.

Looking for some help/info please. I'll be sticking with Shimano so was wondering if you just upgrade the levers or would I need to upgrade the whole system - levers, hoses & calipers?

Cheers!

You can change the levers only, but I'd wonder why you'd want to do that over just buying a new brake. Being overbraked just isn't a thing and it probably won't cost much more. You'll also need to rebleed it, but you could probably get away with the cup bleed, as long as you lose no oil from the hose.

Posted: Jul 28, 2021 at 1:55 Quote
crooksywooksy wrote:

Cheers!
Why are you upgrading?

Posted: Jul 28, 2021 at 3:52 Quote
Hi guys, reason for upgrading is that I'd like the pinch point of the brake lever to be further out. The brake levers I have just now travel approx 15mm before pads engage with rotors. I have bled them so all is fine there. Just fancied trying another brake lever & was wanting to know if all Shimano brake levers are compatible. Cheers.

Posted: Jul 28, 2021 at 4:05 Quote
crooksywooksy wrote:
Hi guys, reason for upgrading is that I'd like the pinch point of the brake lever to be further out. The brake levers I have just now travel approx 15mm before pads engage with rotors. I have bled them so all is fine there. Just fancied trying another brake lever & was wanting to know if all Shimano brake levers are compatible. Cheers.
For this effect you should remove pads and press SLIGHTLY brake levers to move pistons more inside. Then topup system with oil. Its called overfilling system with oil and side effect will be bite point closer to rotor and faster on lever.

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.004783
Mobile Version of Website