Help me Pick a Bike Please (overwhelmed)

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Help me Pick a Bike Please (overwhelmed)
| Next Page
Posted: Aug 4, 2021 at 5:45 Quote
Earlier this year decided to upgrade from a 2010 hardrock specialized pro...I didn't demo any bikes, but i had been reading reviews on several models and ultimately decided on a Marin Rift Zone 2 27.5..huge setup from my HT (which i ended up selling) and dropper tech is best thing since sliced bread..haha

Posted: Aug 4, 2021 at 9:11 Quote
lkjk wrote:
I've had a handful of YTs, Tues's and Capra's. No issues with any of mine, but I only ride them for 2-3 seasons and then replace. Their value prop is diminishing but they are still the best value bikes on the market currently.

Suspension service, brake bleeds, pads, drivetrains, bearings, all that maintenance adds up the $$, especially if you aren't doing it yourself. I'm firmly in the camp that thinks you should not keep bikes more than 3 years tops, because their value starts to really drop after that and maintenance costs go way up, and any $$ you put into maintenance doesn't increase the value, meaning youre just throwing away money.

All that is to say I would advise you to plan on buying a new bike every 2-3 years, regardless of what bike you buy, so don't use longevity in your buying decision.

This is an interesting viewpoint, but it does make sense. How much would a ~$5K bike depreciate in 2-3 years though? Seems to me bikes depreciate so fast (in a normal market anyway) that unless you keep it for a long time you are throwing away even more money haha. I guess it's not a hobby for penny pinchers regardless.

Seadouble wrote:
If you can get the Troy you won't be disappointed. Great bike.

I can afford the Troy Carbon/Alu GX. I'm hesitant because with every review I've read as well as comments in the Troy thread, not many people seem to be overly thrilled with that bike. Comments seem to be that it isn't a great climber and is more of a 'plow' on the descents rather than something a little more lively. The Carbon/alu version is also still 34lbs which is a bit of a head scratcher, but unfortunately they don't offer any aluminum variants with higher end componentry. I haven't ruled it out though and I do have access to it (or an order). Perhaps I need to look into it more seriously.

willf24 wrote:
Hey Many Trails (and anyone else reading)

I picked up a 2021 Troy SX in XL. It's only running a 150 RS Revelation in the front and the Super Deluxe in the back. I'm aware its a lower spec but from the riding I've done so far, it's been a great all-rounder. I'm not a super rider and my input is only limited to a few rides but I've had it out for some nice single track runs (Hydrocut, Kelso, Gorba) in the KW Guelph area and a few days at Horseshoe bike park.

The climbing hasn't been as bad as I had anticipated based on the weight and reviews. Not ultra efficient but it does climb. It's without question a bike that rewards the harder you push, the 29s and big frame roll over almost everything. Im a big rider (6'4, 235-40) so my susp, especially the rear is set to a pretty high pressure and have 3 volume spacers in there as well. Found bottom out for the first time with this new set up on the front and rear today at the bike park for the first time but it wasnt too harsh. Have heard alot of other Troy riders talk about having a hard time using all their travel.

Hoping to put 36 160 on the front and a float X2 on the back over the winter, maybe DHX but we'll see. I bought this bike in the hopes of being able to do a bit of everything and so far its exceeded my expectations

I spent about 2 months doing tonnes of research and the Troy ended up on my short list as well. Was the first bike that became available and jumped on it

Another positive review of the Troy - as I mentioned above, perhaps I need to take another look at it. Thanks for sharing your real-world experience.

Pigglet13 wrote:
If you are looking at dropping £5k on a bike that you are going to keep for a while then I would seriously go out and demo some bikes, even if it’s a days effort to do so.

You’ve demoed a bike with a 150mm relatively poor fork and been impressed, why not demo a 160mm enduro bike with the sort of spec you are looking at and see what you think. You may be perfectly happy with the way it climbs and blown away with the way it descends. Often you will find higher end longer travel suspension will be more efficient than lower end shorter travel if talking 20mm or so.

I don’t subscribe to the belief that you should change your bike after 3 years, unless it’s massively outdated geo wise then it should be mechanically fine if it’s been properly looked after. This is where the difference in manufacturing quality comes into play. With poorer quality frames you will be changing bearings more regularly with greater chance to damage the frame and ovalise the housings.

64/78 isn’t extreme geo, I think you will find in the next two years it will be pretty much the norm on most trail bikes.

Paymattention to mud clearance, particularly on some short link single pivot designs with short chainstays if running 29” wheels.

Everyone is going to tell you their bike is best, it’s human nature, they are stoked about it but it doesn’t mean their bike is right for you.

Even bike reviews can be a bit meaningless.

Take your time, find the right bike FOR YOU and enjoy the experience of doing so.

I agree with pretty much everything you said. Unfortunately it's literally impossible for me to demo bikes - every bike shop in my city is selling every bike before it even hits the floor and has a wait list a mile long. Some bikes are order now, receive in Spring 2022. The best I've been able to do is rent a 2020 Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt at the Canmore Nordic Center and I really liked it. It was a 27.5" version though but it still gave me a taste. If I could ride 3 or 4 bikes back to back on the same trail, I could make up my mind in an afternoon haha.

Dknight3 wrote:
Earlier this year decided to upgrade from a 2010 hardrock specialized pro...I didn't demo any bikes, but i had been reading reviews on several models and ultimately decided on a Marin Rift Zone 2 27.5..huge setup from my HT (which i ended up selling) and dropper tech is best thing since sliced bread..haha

Totally agree - dropper post has got to be the best invention since the suspension fork haha. I tried one for the first time last weekend and it was a game changer for sure.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once again thanks for all the input, I really appreciate it. Buying something so expensive sight unseen for the most part is not in my nature, but I don't have much of a choice.

I spent another hour at one of my LBS yesterday and the guy there almost had me sold on a 2022 Rocky Mountain Instinct A50. Usage will be everything up to tamer bike park stuff (greens & blues), but mostly a variety of trail riding. I will rent or buy a DH bike if I end up hitting the bigger bike park stuff with any regularity. I live beside Canada Olympic Park so I do want to be able to ride it there, but from what I understand it's gotten much tamer over the years. I still need to look at a Norco Sight and I should give the Troy another look after the positive comments here.

So what would you guys buy? These 3 bikes are almost the same price:

Rocky Mountain Instinct A50: https://www.bikes.com/en/bikes/instinct/2021

DeVinci Troy Carbon/Alu GX: https://www.devinci.com/en/bikes/mountain/troy-carb-alu-gx12s-black-edition/

Norco Sight A2: https://www.norco.com/bikes/2021/mountain/all-mountain/sight/sight-a2/
Should I throw the Norco Optic C3 back in the mix??

My thoughts admittedly based on little to no experience:

Instinct - seems to be the best all rounder of the bunch with good climbing and descending while maintaining a fun/playful feel. I have actually ridden a 2020 Thunderbolt which is similar and I really enjoyed it, so that may be influencing me as I can't try the other bikes.

Troy - good descender, possibly a bit of a pig on the climbs, weirdly heavy even with carbon front triangle, component set seems to be on par or extremely close to the Instinct.

Sight - Apparently it climbs way better than it should and descends really well, has the most travel along with a DH shock (Fox X2 rather than a DPX2), but the component spec for $5600 looks pretty weak and it has the entry level Fox fork so I am not sure the value is there compared to the Instinct and the Troy.

All 3 bikes are brand new for 2021 which is nice. I also acknowledge that I'm unlikely to be disappointed with any of those bikes, but obviously I still want to try pick the best of the bunch both for my usage and from a value perspective. At least I am finally starting to narrow it down....

One last random question if I may - I am getting a hitch installed for a bike rack and I like the Swagman style racks where the bikes sit flat on their wheels you ratchet down a bracket over the bike's top tube. Are most bikes going to work with something like that or is that a whole other ordeal?

Posted: Aug 4, 2021 at 9:57 Quote
ManyTrails wrote:
[
One last random question if I may - I am getting a hitch installed for a bike rack and I like the Swagman style racks where the bikes sit flat on their wheels you ratchet down a bracket over the bike's top tube. Are most bikes going to work with something like that or is that a whole other ordeal?

Yes, get a hitch and a tray-style rack like Swagman XTC, Nomad, etc. Every brand makes something good here. 1upUSA make the best tray racks on the market (all aluminum, nothing to rust even after 10 years), but they're pricey as heck. You're comparing $250 for Swagman to $1000+ for 1upUSA.

Again, overthinking the bike choices: every reviewer's "this bike is a plow" will be someone else's "lively dream bike". All 3 of your options would be incredible bikes. You sound like if you purchase the Troy, you'll subconsciously think it climbs poorly, so that might be what you end up thinking. So stop thinking and get the Sight. Or the Instinct. Or the Ripmo. Or the Trance. Or.... Beer

Posted: Aug 4, 2021 at 10:49 Quote
bishopsmike wrote:
Yes, get a hitch and a tray-style rack like Swagman XTC, Nomad, etc. Every brand makes something good here. 1upUSA make the best tray racks on the market (all aluminum, nothing to rust even after 10 years), but they're pricey as heck. You're comparing $250 for Swagman to $1000+ for 1upUSA.

Again, overthinking the bike choices: every reviewer's "this bike is a plow" will be someone else's "lively dream bike". All 3 of your options would be incredible bikes. You sound like if you purchase the Troy, you'll subconsciously think it climbs poorly, so that might be what you end up thinking. So stop thinking and get the Sight. Or the Instinct. Or the Ripmo. Or the Trance. Or.... Beer

Thanks. Swagman XTC is exactly what I was looking at actually. The hitch will be 1 1/4" and most 2-bike racks can hold 2X 35lb bikes so we should just barely be within the limits. Pretty sure it's going to be a Swagman if the 1upUSA's are $1000 Big Grin

Again good advice re: the bikes. I guess it's just not my nature to randomly pick something from a list when I am spending close to $6K. I need to feel like I am making the most optimized possible decision. I am very much a "paralysis by analysis" type person (as I'm sure you can all tell by now). I had an idea to let availability decide, but all 3 bikes require a deposit now and have unknown delivery time, so I can't even do that haha.

Posted: Aug 11, 2021 at 20:08 Quote
In a similar boat as OP. Been riding a 2014 SJ Evo expert for almost 8 years (with the last two being more ambitious/aggressive). The bike has been stripped, modded and carried along for long enough. My body, age and better fiscal standing are ready for an FSR.

I have tightened down to three real contenders: 2022 SJ Evo expert, Revel Rascal & YT Jeffsy core 4 ... but there is no question the Meta, Horsethief, Hightower, Offering and about 10 other choices are real solid choices as well. (The reactor too).

Looking for something that can manage climbs, all day rides in brutal heat and take on the more technical parts of the gutted phosphate mines in Alafia. I personally love the 2022 SJ Pro... even despite the eye-watering price-tag. I just think I need a little more travel as I get a little more confident in my abilities to push.

That said, any of these are going to be a substantial upgrade to a rigid aluminum HT with aged geos. Fellow rider let me hop on his M Izzo - and my head almost exploded. Night and day man. While I know my skills did not instantly improve... it sure as sh!t felt like they did.

Posted: Aug 11, 2021 at 21:38 Quote
ManyTrails wrote:
Hi All,

Long time lurker but I was hoping to get some advice. I've been out of the game for about 5 years and want to get back at it. I am trying to pick out a new bike and I am just totally overwhelmed by all the options with trail bikes, all mountain bikes, down country bikes, and everything in-between. It doesn't help that nothing is in stock to view in person and I will probably have to order off spec for 2022 - I am told I need to put down a deposit soon if I want a bike for next Spring, especially a popular bike.

My goal is to replace a 2008 Giant Trance X1 which has served me well but things have changed so much it's time for a new bike. I used to pair it with a Giant Glory however I don't ride any pure DH anymore - am 36 years old and I feel like I had a good run not seriously injuring myself LOL.

I am looking for a single bike that does everything well except I don't need it to do any really crazy DH stuff. I don't want an Enduro bike - that is too much. I want to ride everything around Calgary area (WestBragg, Bowmont, Moose, Canmore Nordic, Sibbald, Fish Creek Park, COP, etc.) I will not be doing a lot of lift/shuttle runs however I wouldn't mind taking it to COP every now and then. I want the most capable bike I can possibly get without punishing me on the climbs. Probably something in the 140mm-160mm travel range.

The main struggle I am having is to go with a 34mm fork or a 36mm fork as that seems to dictate what the rest of the bike will be like. The bike shops I've talked to so far have mostly pushed me towards the 36mm stuff. I want something under 35lbs that climbs really well but can still handle some aggressive downhill sections. Hope that makes sense.

I've been doing a ton of research and based on their value propositions I've got these bikes on my short list (looking to spend ~$3500-4500CAD):

Specialized StumpJumper Alloy Comp (34mm, new design, good bang for the buck. I've read the horst link is bad for climbing?)

Specialized StumpJumper Evo Alloy Comp (36mm, absolute top of my budget, seems like possibly the most capable but I don't know how it climbs)

DeVinci Troy GX12S (36mm, RockShox setup, seems like good value. Again I don't have a sense for how well they climb - I have heard the suspension design is prone to bobbing).

Norco Optic - The cheapest version I see online is the C3 which is $4850. You get a carbon frame though so I could probably stretch the budget for that. RockShox setup that I am not familiar with. I have read that it's so focused on descending that it isn't a good climber, and I am worried about such small rear travel. I know lots of people like this bike though so I haven't ruled it out and would love to hear more about how it climbs. The more I look at it though the more I think it might be quite good.

I'm open to other suggestions. I want something with more than the 120mm of travel I have now, but I realize 29 wheels and modern geo can make up for some of that. I am partial to Fox suspension but it's not a deal breaker. I'm mostly concerned with how well these bikes climb as they are all long/low/slack so I assume they are pretty good on the downhills.

I'm 5'10" and ~170lbs.

Other bikes I looked at:

Rocky Mountain Instinct - can only afford the "alloy 30" model and the spec is pretty bad for the price. Moving up to the 50 model is $5600 and that's way too much.

Trek Fuel - I don't know what it is about Trek but nothing they have excites me haha

Ibis Ripley - People seem to like this bike a lot. Apparently climbs amazing. I don't like the way it looks and I have read descents aren't great. It's 34mm. I looked at the Ripmo too but that's too much bike.

Hope that wasn't too long, thanks in advance for any advice.
From what you describe, might want to check out a Revel Rascal. We have similar tastes what we want from a bike. That said, the Rascal is a bit of overkill but boy it’s fun!

Posted: Aug 17, 2021 at 14:47 Quote
Thought I should report back with what I ended up doing. I ordered a 2022 Devinci Troy Alu/Carbon GX Black Edition:

https://www.devinci.com/en/bikes/mountain/troy-carb-alu-gx12s-black-edition/

Seemed to be the best bang for my buck frame and component wise, and I love the look. Also they actually make their frames in Canada to my knowledge, which I think is cool.

Thanks again everyone.

Posted: Aug 17, 2021 at 14:49 Quote
bishopsmike wrote:
Devinci Troy is a killer do-it-all bike. Made in Canada too! Not sure the price of the one you listed, but they seem generally pretty well specced for the price.

Nice choice! tup

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.007035
Mobile Version of Website